PDA

View Full Version : New Wilson Combat TRIM Rail System

wilsoncombatrep
02-03-11, 20:14
The T.R.I.M. (Tactical Rail Interface, Modular) AR rail has been designed by the Wilson Combat engineering team to be among the lightest, strongest and most versatile compact free-floating rail systems on the market.
Light, Strong and Compact Free-Floating Rail Design
Machined from 6005A-T5 Aluminum Extrusion
Mil-Spec Hard Anodized Black Finish
Simple, 5-Minute Installation with Common Hand Tools
Easily Removed or Replaced in the Field
Quick Custom Positioning of Supplied Rail Segment
Large Internal Diameter Covers Low Profile Gas Blocks and Many Piston Systems
Dual, Integral Push-Button Sling Attachment Points
Machined of high-strength 6005A-T5 aircraft aluminum with a Mil-Spec hard anodized finish, the T.R.I.M. rail handguard / interface and its robust, anti-rotational mounting system doesn't sacrifice strength, stability or accuracy over bulkier designs. The oversize and tough nitrocarburized 4130 steel barrel attachment nut reduces heat transfer and the ergonomic handguard design offers a sleek, non-abrasive platform for comfortable dynamic shooting.

Light, strong and easy to install-the Wilson Combat T.R.I.M. AR-15 rail interface solves multiple installation issues our gunsmiths have encountered with other rail systems in over 10 years of building thousands of our custom AR-15 rifles. The entire T.R.I.M. interface can be easily end-user installed in five minutes with common hand tools and can be quickly removed or replaced with a different length rail interface in the field with nothing more than a hex key.

The T.R.I.M.'s attachment points enable the end-user to quickly position the supplied modular Picatinny rail panel on the attached interface in pre-specified locations. A generous inside diameter of 1.47" accepts low profile gas blocks and many of the available piston gas systems. Integral push-button Q.D. sling swivel attachment points are located on both sides of the T.R.I.M. for the ultimate in sling mounting versatility.

SPECIFICATIONS

TR-TRIM-7.3 7.3" Carbine Length 10 oz.
TR-TRIM-9.3 9.3" Mid-Length 11.5 oz.
TR-TRIM-10.4 10.4" SBR Length 12.2 oz.
TR-TRIM-12.6 12.6" Rifle Length 13.9 oz.
Weight Includes: Rail Interface, 4130 Steel Barrel Attachment Nut, 6 Cap Head Screws

http://i54.tinypic.com/1zf5x0o.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2n242td.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/t7emop.jpg

Pricing, installation video and other information HERE >>>>>>>WILSON COMBAT TRIM RAIL (http://eepurl.com/cwfpf)

Nevermiss
02-03-11, 22:19
Thanks for bringing another innovative product to the market. Any plans to eventually make these available for the 308 platform?

ghostman1960
02-03-11, 22:40
I will have to pass if they cannot be used with a fixed front sight.

Brahmzy
02-03-11, 23:14
Awesome rail - reminds me of the KAC rail on the MagDyn version.

Dos Cylindros
02-03-11, 23:23
Not a 5 min. Install with a standard FSB, FAIL.

Stickman
02-04-11, 02:45

That is an odd comment to make, I don't see where they stated it was a 5 minute installation with a FSB. The images also don't show it with a FSB. No fail and nothing misleading posted that I can see....

kwelz
02-04-11, 04:35
I agree with you Stik. While I don't think this rail is something I will need, I see no big failing and don't understand why people seem to think it is teh fail!

seb5
02-04-11, 07:46
I agree. The install would be no more than any of the tube type free float hand guards currently offered. I like the weight and modularity but have heavily invested in the Troy/Viking tubes (5) so probably will pass. With many of these items timing is everything, unless it's totally innovative like the new Noveske QD for the tube rails it will not dispace the current favorites.

Nevermiss
02-04-11, 07:48
Awesome rail - reminds me of the KAC rail on the MagDyn version.

I just picked up one of these and it appears very similar. The Wilson rail has threads on all three sides so it's easier to install rail sections where needed. However, the KAC LW-URX their push button spring activated pop up front sight integrated into the top rail, which is kind of growing on me.

Watrdawg
02-04-11, 07:58
Looks nice. May have to consider with my next build.

Brahmzy
02-04-11, 09:09
I just picked up one of these and it appears very similar. The Wilson rail has threads on all three sides so it's easier to install rail sections where needed. However, the KAC LW-URX their push button spring activated pop up front sight integrated into the top rail, which is kind of growing on me.

Not a fan of the integrated front sight on the KAC rail. Dong get me wrong I absolutely love the KAC rail - just not the sight. Not to mention every single one I've handled was loose.

Hey WCR, are the QD sockets anti-rotation?

opmike
02-04-11, 09:53

How is this rail different than ANY other free-float rail that doesn't claim to be a direct drop in like the Omega's?

Anyway, I'm glad to see more rails coming on the market with removable rail sections. I usually don't run much of anything at 3, 6, and 9, save for a VFG for indexing. My Troy VTAC has spoiled me.

Dos Cylindros
02-04-11, 10:03
How is this rail different than ANY other free-float rail that doesn't claim to be a direct drop in like the Omega's?

Anyway, I'm glad to see more rails coming on the market with removable rail sections. I usually don't run much of anything at 3, 6, and 9, save for a VFG for indexing. My Troy VTAC has spoiled me.

Sorry, in retrospect perhaps my post was a little strong (that will teach me to post after a few jack and diet cokes). They clearly say in the specs that it is a five minute install, and that it is easily removeable in the field. That's all true but what they don't do is tell you that you have to have a low pro gas block to make those things a reality. So you are right, this rail is exactally like all other non-drop in free floats, and also shares qualities with the TRX and VTAC rails in the form of being able to place pic rail where you want it.

wilsoncombatrep
02-04-11, 10:07
Ghostman,
You certainly can use this rail with a GI fixed front sight tower, but of course you will have to remove the sight tower to install the rail. No, this is not a 2 piece rail system, and that is not what we were trying to develop. This is a very lightweight one piece system, that is very easy to install using the increasingly popular low profile gas block arrangement.

Brahmzy, the QC sockets are not anti rotational.

kwelz
02-04-11, 10:50
Ghostman,
, the QC sockets are not anti rotational.

I find this an interesting choice. What contributed to this decision? Cost? Operational needs of clients?

wilsoncombatrep
02-04-11, 10:56
When we started laying out this new rail system( quite some time ago) market research showed that there was no real consensus as to whether to go with non-rotational or not.

ColdDeadHands
02-07-11, 12:02
looks like the Noveske and Larue OBR rails had sex.:p

chase102798
02-21-11, 16:27
Found this (below) in the Wilson website description. Does anyone know what the anti-rotational system refers to? It doesn't seem to have tabs or anything attached to the upper receiver. BTW, I really like the looks of this.

"the T.R.I.M. rail handguard / interface and its robust, anti-rotational mounting system doesn't sacrifice strength, stability or accuracy over bulkier designs."

chase102798
02-21-11, 16:37
Found the answer in another forum. Refers to the 6 screws. Another thing...has anyone seen on and can comment on the color black. Is it deep black like Mega or grey black like Vltor and others?

bkb0000
02-21-11, 17:12
how are the rail sections attached? do the screws thread directly into aluminum?

i'm not a fan of large steel barrel nuts in free-floating handguards. unnecessarily heavy and doesn't sink heat well... but definitely more secure.

eta - i just watched the video... "designed to be the... lightest... rail on the market." even without integral full length rails, the DD rails are still lighter.

JrFreak
02-21-11, 17:42
Interesting... A definite possibility for my next AR-15... which will be my first build.

Slickshot
02-21-11, 18:04
looks like the Noveske and Larue OBR rails had sex.:p

:laugh:

rubberneck
02-21-11, 18:45
After watching the installation video in the link I am left to wonder why the system seemingly doesn't come with some form of anti rotation tabs. If I followed the video correctly you tighten the supplied barrel nut with a wrench and then install the gas block. The handguard then gets affixed directly to the barrel nut by six torque screws. So if your running a foregrip what is to prevent the barrel nut from coming lose gradually because of torque? Am I missing something in this design?

bkb0000
02-21-11, 18:52
After watching the installation video in the link I am left to wonder why the system seemingly doesn't come with some form of anti rotation tabs. If I followed the video correctly you tighten the supplied barrel nut with a wrench and then install the gas block. The handguard then gets affixed directly to the barrel nut by six torque screws. So if your running a foregrip what is to prevent the barrel nut from coming lose gradually because of torque? Am I missing something in this design?

i hadn't watched the install video... whats the torque value for the barrel nut? he says something like "torque it down, but not too much..." with a set of channel locks in his hand. the gas tube bypasses the nut, so it doesn't even have that to help hold it in place.

wilsoncombatrep
02-21-11, 22:29
Deep Black.....

davehk
02-21-11, 22:31
NICE!

huntsimp
03-31-11, 08:48
Does anyone know the weight difference between the TRIM and VTAC TRX?

I know the weights are on the websites, but I am unsure if this includes barrel nut weights.

wilsoncombatrep
03-31-11, 08:57
The weights listed on our website includes the barrel nut and the screws to attach the rail to the nut.....

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-73/productinfo/TR-TRIM-7/