PDA

View Full Version : AWB State: best stock AR (meaning complete rifle from factory)

Armadillo
02-03-11, 21:57
I live in Mass. It is a AWB state. No flash hider (need a brake), bayonet lug, collapsable stock.

I want to get an AR when I get the money. I like Noveske best and they can make a rifle that is legal in Mass.

What I am wondering is if there is a stock AR (high end) that is already compliant with AWB states.

Eric D.
02-03-11, 22:35
Colt makes one. The ban version of the 6920, I don't recall its exact number. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

I live in Mass. It is a AWB state. No flash hider (need a brake), bayonet lug, collapsable stock.

I want to get an AR when I get the money. I like Noveske best and they can make a rifle that is legal in Mass.

What I am wondering is if there is a stock AR (high end) that is already compliant with AWB states.

Icculus
02-03-11, 22:44
Buy the preban Bushmaster a member was trying to decide if he should sell. On my phone but thread probably hasn't left the first 2 pages of ar general

Edit: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72949 :)

Armadillo
02-03-11, 23:17
Buy the preban Bushmaster a member was trying to decide if he should sell. On my phone but thread probably hasn't left the first 2 pages of ar general

Edit: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72949 :)

I appreciate the tip but...

I am looking for something brand new and is totally stock.
That way I could just say "I want XXXX, please send it to my FFL."

I just may order a custom Noveske since they offered to accommodate any configuration.

ma96782
02-03-11, 23:40
I am looking for something brand new and is totally stock.

My I suggest? NOT KNOWING your state laws so.............

IF...........as long as it's pre-ban..........

Perhaps, you would/could be looking for a pre ban COLT? New (it could happen) or Used. The A1 and/or A2 were very popular back then. Then, you might be able to find an original COLT Carbine w/ collapsible stock, f/s, bayo lug and 16" pencil barrel A2 (if it's allowed).

IMHO, it might be a better way to go (instant collector piece).

Aloha, Mark

Armadillo
02-03-11, 23:43
NOT KNOWING your state laws so.............

Perhaps, you would/could be looking for a pre ban COLT? New (it could happen) or Used. IMHO, it might be a better way to go (instant collector piece).

The A1 and/or A2 were very popular back then.

Then, you might be able to find an original COLT Carbine w/ collapsible stock and 16" pencil barrel A2 (if it's allowed).

Aloha, Mark

Thanks, Mark.

I live in Mass, so a pre-ban Colt is legal here.

I really would like something brand new, though.

I am willing to forgo the collapsable stock and flash hider for something that is brand new.

ma96782
02-03-11, 23:52
Well......"brand new" is the hard part.

You never mentioned what's your flavor of sport.

I mean............

High Power Match or playing games?

I believe that there are still many offerings from the major players that will have a Hi-Power Match AR right out of the box.

As for the "games" gun......well, 20" or 16"?

I'll assume that 14 1/2" is out........right? Then again there are always Fake Muzzle devices to look at.

Aloha, Mark

Armadillo
02-03-11, 23:56
Well......"brand new" is the hard part.

You never mentioned what's your flavor of sport.

I mean............

High Power Match or playing games?

I believe that there are still many offerings from the major players that will have a Hi-Power Match AR right out of the box.

As for the "games" gun......well, 20" or 16"?

I'll assume that 14 1/2" is out........right? Then again there are always Fake Muzzle devices to look at.

Aloha, Mark

I am looking for a battle rifle- not a high precision target rifle.

I like the 14.5" + Surefire muzzle brake.

That makes the rifle 16" which is the minimum in Mass.

ma96782
02-04-11, 00:05
For a 16" Post Ban Style

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp

Aloha, Mark

Armadillo
02-04-11, 00:10
For a 16" Post Ban Style

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp

Aloha, Mark

Thank again, Mark.

Do you know of any top tier manufacturers?

I found the Colt but I am looking for other brands as well.

ma96782
02-04-11, 00:15
Me.........I only have COLT A2s (all pre-ban stuff). Oh.......except for one full length Bushmaster 20" A2 (also pre-ban).

I never got around to buying a "newer style AR15 rifle."

Come to think of it............

You might just want to DIY. It's not that hard to do.

Aloha, Mark

ma96782
02-04-11, 00:23
I tend to think of it this way............

Why buy a COLT?

When I think of a "Civil War revolver." It's a COLT 1860.
When I think of a "Cowboy Gun." It's a COLT SAA
When I think of a "WW1 or WW2 pistol." It's a COLT M1911/M1911A1
When I think of a Viet Nam era rifle. It's an M-16A1 (COLT SP-1).
When I think of Desert Storm. It's an M-16A2 (COLT AR-15A2).

Then.........I can remember the AWB. After Clinton signed, the COLTs were selling at a premium over the "other brands." So, IMHO........."other brands" are just that. Pay for the name and you'll get it back anytime.

Aloha, Mark

MT6700
02-04-11, 05:50
Any of Colts "Match Target" series should be ban compliant, they all ship with 9 round magazines, no bayonet lug and either a comp or no muzzle device.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/tabid/61/CatID/21/Default.aspx

It sounds like the MT6400C and MT6400R would be the two that you would be interested in.

The "C" is similar to a 6920 but with a compensator, no bayonet lug and a fixed stock that looks like a collapsible stock.

The "R" is similar to a 6940 but with a compensator, no bayonet lug and a fixed stock that looks like a collapsible stock.

My latest Match Target has standard sized pins and the same FA bolt and carrier as my LE6920.

JStor
02-04-11, 08:43
And if you get the Colt MT6400C, you can simply install a Sully stock kit to gain an overall length that is equivalent to an adjustable stock pulled out one notch or so.

I bought one of the 6400s during the ban and that long fixed pseudo adjustable had to go...thus I ended up with the Sully. I can change it to an adjustable any time, as I have a spare Colt carbine receiver extension, but I never have. It makes a nice shooting compact package.

Quinn
02-04-11, 11:46
yes i had a colt "match target m4" when i was in new jersey, I highly reccomend it. If you find a rifle you like but it has some illegal features you can legally ship it to your FFL and have them remove or alter the features before handing it over to you but some do not like to do this.

Alex V
02-04-11, 13:46
Can't go wrong with a Noveske. If it was me, I would look no further.

But if you can find an AWB compliant Colt it will also be a kick ass rifle.

mechelaar
02-04-11, 14:30
LMT makes AWB compliant rifles:

STD16 (http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/compliant-defender-standard-model-16.html)
MRP (http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/compliant-cqb-mrp-defender-model-16.html)

sjc3081
02-04-11, 16:42
I buy your choice tier 1 rifle and have your FFL ship it to Adco to make it NJ legal.

andy t
02-04-11, 21:23
The part that matters the most is the upper. Uppers are un-regulated, "cash and carry" items.
I would highly recommend getting a preban lower, so you don't have to worry about stocks and muzzle devices. I had a post ban rifle for my first AR thinking, who needs those collapsible stocks and "flash hider does nothing for me".
Well, now all AR's I have consist of pre-ban lowers with brand new uppers by BCM, DD and Colt.
However, if you are dead set on a post ban, LMT makes a ban version. That comes with pinned SOPMOD. I think Four Seasons carries it. Give them a call.

Kazzy
02-05-11, 08:33
As long as you can find a shop that will make your rifle compliant, you should be good to go. In NY, shops that have the capability to make weapons AWB complaint can order which ever stock you want and pin it. Maybe you can find a place in Mass. that does the same?

Cagemonkey
02-05-11, 20:35
If you have the money call or Email Grant @ www.gandrtactical.com . Purchase a Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM rifle and have it sent to ADCO to make AWB compliant. Then from there it will get shipped to your FFL.