PDA

View Full Version : M&P45 Mid Sized vs Full Sized

NeoNeanderthal
02-04-11, 12:08
I currently own an M&P40c and use it as my CC gun. So far i love it and want to get a .45. I've handled both M&P's (Full and mid sized) and the middy did feel SLIGHTLY better in man hands. THough i haven't shot ether. What is the consensus here on the pros and cons? Its not likely to be used in a CC role but you never know. Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated.

cgcorrea
02-04-11, 12:49
I've had a full size M&P 45 for almost a year now. I have put roughly about 2,500 rounds through it(I wasn't been able to make it out to the range much in 2010.) and have not had a single malfunction yet. The only issue I have had is with the slide not locking back on the last round a number of times, which I found was due to my SH grip impeding the slide release from doing its job, as I have a pretty aggressive grip, and my hands are huge. I just modified my grip a bit and problem solved. I find that it shoots pretty soft for a 45. I have heard from a few people on here that the 45 is the most accurate of the M&P family, but only having shot the 45, I have nothing to compare it to. This is also my CCW and I find that for me it conceals very well. I have not shot the mid-size 45 but I can tell you that the full-size M&P 45 is a great gun.

RogerinTPA
02-04-11, 14:01
Get the Mid-sized. Same mag cap and grip of the full sized, which I own and enjoy shooting, but the middy wasn't available at the time I made the purchase.

Bob RI
02-04-11, 19:21
I have the full size and it's a great gun. I did not see any compelling reason to purchase the mid size over the full size.

GermanSynergy
02-05-11, 10:59
I have a mid frame M&P 45, and have found it to be accurate and reliable. I'll eventually pick up the full sized offering as well.

decodeddiesel
02-05-11, 12:24
I had the full, and wish I would have gotten the mid instead. I prefer the balance and size of the mid over the full.

Handle both, or better see if you can fire both, and decide for yourself.

Seraph
02-05-11, 12:34
They're both really nice pistols, but, since they share the same size grip, I don't find 1/2" shorter compact version particularly compelling. The full size, with its 4.5" barrel, is pretty compact, by my standards. I'll be picking one of these up pretty soon - for holster making purposes, of course. If there were no 4.5" model, I'd pick up the 4" model, happily.

DocGKR
02-05-11, 14:15
You will find there is minimal difference between the two. I am using the full size M&P45, mainly because we got them prior to the mid-size being available. If I had it to do now, I'd probably get the mid-size, as it has the same form factor and balance as the M&P's in other calibers, which is helpful from a training & muscle memory perspective.

poirierpro
04-18-11, 22:59
The only difference between the fullsize and the middy are the barrel length. Are the pros for the middy just balance and slightly lighter? The grips are the same length so concealability would be the same for both.

For those of you that own the middy...why?

I will own one of these guns but I'm torn between the middy and the fullsize.

Warhawk
04-18-11, 23:51
I've had all three sizes, and prefer the mid size 45.

Beat Trash
04-19-11, 11:51
I think it really is just a matter of personal preference. I'd strongly recommend the OP try to handle both a mid size and a full size. Buy which ever balances and feels the best in your hands.

For me, it's the mid size.

markm
04-19-11, 12:10
I've had a full size M&P 45 for almost a year now. I have put roughly about 2,500 rounds through it(I wasn't been able to make it out to the range much in 2010.) and have not had a single malfunction yet.

<SNIP>

I find that it shoots pretty soft for a 45. I have heard from a few people on here that the 45 is the most accurate of the M&P family, but only having shot the 45, I have nothing to compare it to. This is also my CCW and I find that for me it conceals very well. I have not shot the mid-size 45 but I can tell you that the full-size M&P 45 is a great gun.

I agree with all of this and NEVER pic an abreviated gun in the caliber of 45ACP.... actually in any caliber, but especially in 45.

C4IGrant
04-19-11, 12:35
For CCW, the middy wins. I own one and love it.

C4

bleaman225
04-19-11, 14:18
Before I got out of 45s all together I had the Mid and the compact.

I had purchased the compact first. In turn, I picked the mid so that I could mirror it to the compact as closely as possible. The mid and the compact are pretty much identical the difference being approximately 3/4" shorter grip on the compact. The compact obviously also suffered from a further reduction in magazine capacity.

For a fun side note, the full size 45 mags work in the compact.

Anyways, if I was to do it over again I would pick the 4" mid again. It had a very nice feel in my hand and it shot well. Accuracy was also impressive. In my sample size of 1 M&P9, 1 M&P45c and 1 M&P45mid, the 45s were more accurate for me.

Watrdawg
04-19-11, 14:37
I have the Midsize and love it. I'm short, 5'5", and this weapon conceals fine. Mine shoots great and recoil is no worse than anything else I've shot in a 45. I like the idea of the few extra rounds with the fullsize mags. I have the APEX DCAEK package installed and have run my weapon fairly hard the last month or so. No problems at all. Runs like a top.

Magsz
04-19-11, 17:15
Buy the full size and a compact and you end up with three guns. :)

bleaman225
04-21-11, 10:06

true dat

grimm
04-21-11, 10:24

I also bought 2 Big Macs and ended up with 3 1/2 burgers. :)

NeoNeanderthal
04-21-11, 10:27
Anyone have any experience with the handling on these two guns with a weapon light attached?? Most say the middy handles better but I'm going to be throwing a TLR-1 on whatever i get anyway so I'm not sure if that would nullify that point.

cgcorrea
04-21-11, 10:47
Anyone have any experience with the handling on these two guns with a weapon light attached?? Most say the middy handles better but I'm going to be throwing a TLR-1 on whatever i get anyway so I'm not sure if that would nullify that point.

I have an X300 w/o a DG grip switch on my full-size. It handles just fine. And I find for me that the controls on the light are easy to minipulate w/o compromizing my grip. I have freakishly large alien hands though.

huntsimp
04-21-11, 15:22
Is there a threaded barrel available for the mid-size?

C4IGrant
04-21-11, 15:24
Is there a threaded barrel available for the mid-size?

Not from S&W.

C4

huntsimp
04-21-11, 15:25
Not from S&W.

C4

Who makes it? And is it quality?

CQC.45
04-21-11, 15:27
Not from S&W.

C4

I was told by Storm Lake that extended barrels will not work in the M&P45 Mid and Compact.

From SL:

"Hello,

We can already offer an extended, ported, or threaded barrel for the midsize 45ACP. The problem is that the design of the slide on this model does not provide enough clearance to allow a barrel longer than the stock length to rotate into place. We have notified Smith&Wesson of the issue, and we are waiting for their response as to how they might resolve it in the future. If you would like to have your name added to the waiting list, we can contact you when we have resolution from S&W.

Best Regards,
David
Storm Lake Barrels support"