PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92S

sacmaster
02-04-11, 17:21
Found this link in another thread, but my question wasn't relevant to that thread. What's the word on the 92S? They are old, but for 300 bucks, is there a significant difference between them and the new model Berettas? Seems like a decent price for a "truck" gun, if you will. (not advocating leaving firearms unattended in vehicles)

http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

ShipWreck
02-04-11, 18:38
Found this link in another thread, but my question wasn't relevant to that thread. What's the word on the 92S? They are old, but for 300 bucks, is there a significant difference between them and the new model Berettas? Seems like a decent price for a "truck" gun, if you will. (not advocating leaving firearms unattended in vehicles)

http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

Personally, I'd jump 1 more generation forward on the old Berettas, or get a trade in on a 92F or 92FS.

That gun has a heel mounted mag release. You cannot use standard Beretta mags. Good luck finding mags to work with that. For that price, get a police trade in from Bud's or one of the other online places blowing them out.

ShipWreck
02-04-11, 18:40
Heck, I'd recommend one of those Beretta 92 compacts. You can get mags for it a few places, and they are sweet little guns.

Any used Beretta should probably have the trigger return spring and the recoil spring changed (what you do every 5k). And, inspect the locking block. If you replace the locking block for $40 or so, you'd probably be better off just putting the $ towards a new one, IMHO.

sacmaster
02-04-11, 19:18
Thanks for the replies. I've got other pistols, so I don't need to buy anything. Just saw these and didn't know anything about the older Berettas and was curious. Always thought the 92 was a cool gun from a collector standpoint. I'll hold off.

LHS
02-04-11, 21:28
I'll second the 92 Compact over the 92S. They're great carry guns.

sacmaster
02-04-11, 22:11
OK, the more I look at the 92 compact, the more intrigued I become. Seems like a great pistol for the price. I have a USP, so the DA/SA doesn't bother me... Any decent holsters for this pistol without going super expensive custom leather? Love my Beretta shotgun...

sacmaster
02-04-11, 22:41
meh... nevermind. I can get a used glock 22 to use as a beater pistol for just over 300 bucks. Think I'm just gonna hold out an grab an M9 when I see one for a decent price, just to have one.