PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 Hornady TAP Vs. .223 Hornady TAP

Ironman8
02-04-11, 19:20
Ok so I've read through Doc's sticky and about three hours worth of reading other threads, and I still haven't found a defined answer to my question...I dunno maybe I just missed it...

What I am wondering, is out of a 10.5" barrel, what kind of velocity would I be expecting from the .223 loaded 75gr. Hornady TAP VS. the 5.56 loaded 75gr. Hornady TAP? And what is the max effective range (for each) that will give reliable fragmentation? I believe you need minimum 2200 fps right?

And as I am a civilian, I don't believe I would need a barrier blind load, so that's why I would prefer the TAP. However, finding it in 5.56 is close to impossible.

BTW this is for HD/SD use at CQB distances. Unless the SHTF, I don't plan to use this in a defensive role past 25 yds (probly even less than that)....but with that said, I would like the peace of mind to know that it would work as designed at longer ranges...

RWK
02-04-11, 19:41
Ok so I've read through Doc's sticky and about three hours worth of reading other threads, and I still haven't found a defined answer to my question...I dunno maybe I just missed it...

What I am wondering, is out of a 10.5" barrel, what kind of velocity would I be expecting from the .223 loaded 75gr. Hornady TAP VS. the 5.56 loaded 75gr. Hornady TAP? And what is the max effective range (for each) that will give reliable fragmentation? I believe you need minimum 2200 fps right?

And as I am a civilian, I don't believe I would need a barrier blind load, so that's why I would prefer the TAP. However, finding it in 5.56 is close to impossible.

BTW this is for HD/SD use at CQB distances. Unless the SHTF, I don't plan to use this in a defensive role past 25 yds (probly even less than that)....but with that said, I would like the peace of mind to know that it would work as designed at longer ranges...

A 10.5" is widely considered to be a 100-yd gun. You'll be fine inside of 100. Buy whichever you can find in quantity and run with it.

bp7178
02-04-11, 19:46
A price sheet got passed around at work for the TAP rounds a while back, and I remember looking into the difference. IIRC, the 5.56 was slightly higher velocity, obviously. There should be a spec sheet on their website, I'll see if I can dig anything up I was looking at.

If I had a 5.56 chamber, I would try to use 5.56 rounds, but it seems these days ammunition is as much about availibility as choice.

Ironman8
02-04-11, 21:58
RWK, do you have any specifics on velocities for either round out of the 10.5"? IIRC, the 5.56 will have about 200 fps more than the .223...that's a big difference, and would affect its effective range.

Bp, yeah the availability of the 5.56 is pretty much zero...which is why I was wondering about .223

Also something I wanted to know was how much velocity is lost by a projectile per 25/50/100 yds? I'm sure it changes based on the projectile weight, but whats a good "general" number?

TehLlama
02-04-11, 22:50
In an SBR, the .223 pressure stuff gives up a lot of range for similar velocities - but if you're using it within rock throwing distances anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.

It functions fine through my rifles, but it's always a good idea to buy the 5.56 when it's at a good price.

Read everything you can from Molon about it - that's the best resource as far as velocity differences and how those pan out at ranges.

_rab_
02-04-11, 23:09
Ammunitiontogo.com carries the 5.56 tap frequently enough, it just sells out quickly. I check randomly, and sometimes they'll have it.

Also, if you have not already, search up Molon's post. I believe he did some thorough testing on .223 vs 5.56 TAP, .vs 75gr FPD. That would give you good information on the fragmentation distances and velocity necessary. Then find out how many FPS a .223/5.56 round loses when you make the barrel 6 inches shorter, and you're set.

Ironman8
02-06-11, 13:43
Ok so I read some more and found some general info about ballistics:

1) Out of a 10.5" barrel, you will get between 2700 and 2800 fps with 5.56 55gr. ammo

2) You will lose about 300 fps per 100 yds of projectile travel

3) You lose between 25 and 50 fps per inch of barrel that you cut off the length of your weapon.

If the above data is correct, this would indicate that a 10.5" gun with M193 or other similar 5.56 loaded ammo would give you a max effective range of (maybe) 25 yds.

Now, while this is good info to know, it still doesn't answer my original question. If I could see some numbers as far as velocity from "X" barrel of the .223 vs 5.56 loading of the Hornady TAP ammo, then I could do the leg work and figure out the rest. Is there any links you guys could direct me to that would show this data?

Basically all I want is the max effective range that each loading would give me.

Ironman8
02-06-11, 13:44
Also, thanks for the responses guys.

ETA: Just to define what I am looking for, I am looking for hard data (numbers) instead of general statements like "that should work in those ranges". Thanks again for all of you guys' input.

Falz24
02-17-11, 02:14
keep in mind the 5.56 round uses a completely different bullet than the .223. The T2 bullet was designed to have better fragmentation and feed more reliably.

The Hornady 75 grain bullets are considered to have a fragmentation threshold of 2200 fps +/- 50 fps. Not sure what velocities you would be getting from a 10.5 in barrel but I would want as much velocity as possible and IMO would go for the 5.56.

Check out this thread it explains the differences between the two rounds

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=283506

Falz24
02-17-11, 02:35
This should answer your questions as to the terminal ballistics specifically out of a 10.5in barrel. There is a lot of good info in this thread too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=363223

In this thread molon posted this (I personally would trust molon):

"A much more realistic threshold for reliable fragmentation with the 75-77 grain OTM loads is 2,250 FPS. From your 10.5” barrel, this will give you a fragmentation range of approximately 48 yards."

Ironman8
02-17-11, 12:48
This should answer your questions as to the terminal ballistics specifically out of a 10.5in barrel. There is a lot of good info in this thread too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=363223

In this thread molon posted this (I personally would trust molon):

"A much more realistic threshold for reliable fragmentation with the 75-77 grain OTM loads is 2,250 FPS. From your 10.5” barrel, this will give you a fragmentation range of approximately 48 yards."

Thanks Falz! Exactly what I was looking for!

So I guess with the .223 load, I would only be getting fragmentation at contact distances...maybe...I'll be keeping my eyes out for the 5.56...

Cesiumsponge
02-21-11, 01:07
+1 Ammunition To Go. I have made several purchases there for hard-to-find-stuff like 5.56mm 75gr TAP T2 and Black Hills 77gr Mk262 commercial seconds. You have to check every day because it goes fast when it surfaces.

I believe Hornady likes to blacklist folks that obtain the 5.56mm TAP for purposes of distributing to the general public. If I recall correctly, there was thread discussing where Hornady purchased some and traced the lot back to the purchasing order of the individual who bought direct from Hornady. That probably explains the hit-or-miss nature of stock.