PDA

View Full Version : Help with a barrel

Falconman
02-04-11, 23:58
I decieded to start my first ar build a few days ago. I'm usually a rifle accuracy guy but was convinced to make a ar.I do a lot of coyote hunting and it will be my replacement gun. I have most of the parts I will use planned out and have $275 to spend on a barrel. I want it to be accurate to 400yds with 2in or better 5 shot groups at 100yds.I'm pretty sure the other parts I have planed can do it easily As they are mostly jp, Daniel defense and magpul. I hope to use it as a fun tactical gun too and can't find a barrel I like. Any advice on a barrel of those specifics?

Andrew

Surf
02-05-11, 00:18
Andrew, if I am reading this correct you want .5 inch groups at 200 yards. That would equate to .25 or 1/4 MOA of accuracy out of this weapon platform. Not gonna happen. That is high end bolt rifle territory.

MistWolf
02-05-11, 00:27
What you're asking for is a rifle that will hold 1/4 minute of angle. You may want a bigger budget for a barrel.

You should be able to get a 20" Blackhole Weaponry barrel for $160 (cash price) from
Surplus Ammo and Arms
12729 Pacific HWY SW
Lakewood, WA 98499

Some folks on another forum (no, not TOS) are very happy with the 3 groove polygonal rifling barrels.

Although more than your limit at $325, Lothar-Walther barrels have a reputation for good accuracy and come with a matched bolt
http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/20-Lothar-Walther-Stainless-Match-grade-barrel-lw20.htm

BCM offers a barrel in 410 Stainless for $300
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-20-SAM-R-SS410-Barrel-with-Rifle-Length-Gas-p/bcm-ss410-samr%20brl%201.htm

I can't say they'll shoot as good as you're wanting, 1/4 MOA groups are very demanding performance even for a good bolt action, but the above are good choices within the budget you're asking

Falconman
02-05-11, 13:11
Yeah I did have pretty high hopes as most of my other guns are bolt action and very accurate. I don't really need it to be that accurate. I just read about someone who did that with a tactical inovations $130 barrel on a review.Maybe 1Moa or even 1.5moa would be fine. Also how much does barrel legnth change acccuracy on the 223 after 16in? Any advice is welcome.

Iraqgunz
02-05-11, 13:21
Barrel length does not affect accuracy. Barrel length affects muzzle velocity, which in turn will impact the bullets overall effectiveness at longer ranges.

1 MOA is probably achievable, but it usually isn't the norm. My Noveske Recon with match ammo was shooting around 1.25 with me behind the trigger.

Yeah I did have pretty high hopes as most of my other guns are bolt action and very accurate. I don't really need it to be that accurate. Maybe .5 Moa or even 1moa would probley do. Also how much does barrel legnth change acccuracy on the 223 ? Any advice is welcome.