PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Optics?

SoDak
02-05-11, 11:21
I'm planning on putting together an M16A1 rifle and thought it would be neat to get some sort of optic for this one. I was thinking that instead of going with a colt style scope maybe I'd try to find either an armson oeg or a singlepoint. Anyone have an opinion on this choice or some other optic ideas?

cqbdriver
02-05-11, 20:28
I used an OEG back in the '80s. It was an excellent sight for the time. Good for low-light & CQB. It was extremely durable. I even made a few jumps with it. There are certain percentage of people with eye conditions that can't use the OEG.

It had a wierd issue of differences in impact horizontally since one eye is seeing the target & the other is seeing the dot. IIRC if you zeroed at 50 yds, at CQB distance, you would hit about an inch to the left. At 50 yds, dead on & at 100 yds, an inch to the right. It was still far better than using M16A1 with just iron sights at night.

I stopped using it in the '90s when better options became available. I found mine a few years ago while cleaning out some old boxes. The tritium was long since dead.

SoDak
02-07-11, 00:24
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear the armson was durable, but I'm still on the fence regarding the need to use both eyes.

I got to thinking and remembered I did see an illuminated hakko blue ring scope at a local pawnshop. Anyone know if these were any good?

cqbdriver
02-07-11, 05:33
If you have an Aimpoint, you can test out the OEG concept by covering the front len of the Aimpoint.

SIMBA-LEE
03-07-11, 10:08
I had an OEG years ago and never could get used to it.

Combat_Diver
04-05-11, 09:34
If you have the money dont forget the AN/PVS-2 or 4.

CD