PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to AR needs some help on scope mount

wagon
02-05-11, 12:17
Hi, am new to AR platform and just got myself a CMMG M4 carbine flat top with a fixed front sight. I like it a lot!

Do have a challenge on scope / mount set up and hope to get some suggestions recommendation:

I have a Sightron S33-S4 red dot (from my Mini-14 -- sold), it has served me fine and I like to keep and use on the M4. But it has an odd ball 33mm tube and came with LOW rings -- the only size available from Sightron.

At this time, here are my thoughts:

** Apparently there isn't any 33mm QD mounts for AR in the market, would 34 or 35mm mount work if I add inserts / spacers (such as Burris' ?).

** These mounts typically in mid $100's... anything CHEAPER and won't come loose and keeps zero?

** Sightron told me that Burris 30mm Signature Zee rings without inserts will work for their 33mm tube. They offer High and X-High. This may be the most economic solution -- although they may not be most suited for AR application... I do believe I still need a riser.. are typical risers (such as YHM, etc..) in standard height? Anyone knows if HIGH Burris Zee will be sufficient? or gotta be X-High?

** least preferred option is to sell the Sightron to fund a new scope. (I have a fugal budget....)

As mentioned, am new and know very little on AR platform, I hope there are other options that I do not know, pls offer your suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks!

John

Blowby
02-05-11, 13:01
I used XTR X-High on my last Red-dot and it allowed 1/3 co-witness. Worked great and a solid set of mounts. The spacers were for 1" (25.4 mm) scopes so I'm not sure they would work.

Blowby
02-05-11, 13:09
http://cgwgun.com/images/products/BU420585.gif
Now I see the Zee Rings have the spacers at 30mm to protect the scope body from scratches. The mounts might not allow the banging around the XTR's would and still keep zero. The High will drop the center of scope down almost an 1/8th of an inch and be a little more robust but not duty ready in my opinion.

Clint
02-05-11, 13:28
Welcome!

AR scope mounts took me a little while to figure out at first too.

In general, I like the one piece mounts best for two reasons.

The AR top rail ends just before where a standard ring typically needs to go when mounting a typical scope like a 2-7x33 or 3-9x40.

A one piece mount cantilevers the rings forward enough to get the proper eye relief.

Also, the sight height above bore ( ~2.65" ) is higher than on most bolt action rifles (~1.5"). This requires special rings or risers. The one piece AR mounts typically have the correct height out of the box.

Here is an example (http://www.burrisoptics.com/arpepr.html) one piece that works well and is fairly inexpensive (http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-1-Scope-Mount-P12624.aspx), but a little heavy.

Your red dot will probably not require the same eye relief, but a one piece mount is sturdy and keeps your options open.

wagon
02-05-11, 14:12
Blowby: indeed my LGS did not recommend the Zee rings for the same reason that they are not robust enough...

Clint: yes, I also believe that one piece mounts are better suited, Brris PEPR is one of those I economical but 30mm is the largest (my Sightron ghas a 33mm tube).

Only few of them offers 34mm or 35mm rings size and they are $150+ (American Defense, Larue, etc..), at that price point I would might as well ditch the Sightron and get a Strikefire of Lucid, but I just try to avoid this option coz the Sightron S33 is really fine for me... except for the odd ball 33mm tube size.

Just found this linky, looks like I got some reading to do... http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

wagon
02-05-11, 19:48
Update: went to my LGS today, we put on a Pro-Mag "extra high" riser to test with the Sightron factory low ring .. TOO HIGH!!!

Test 2: with a 1/2" riser and it seems to work. The dot is tight above the front sight and I can co-witness with the BUIS..

Gotta love my LGS!

Unfortunately They do not have 1 pc 4"~5" riser (they only have the short Burris in stock... we tested with 2 pc-riser set up). I will have to buy elsehwere.. but I did buy a Mag Well Grip from them which I wanted... with the help they gave me, there is no feakng way I would walk out the shop without buying anything.. and I just love that Meko MWG regardless :D