PDA

View Full Version : Test drove a G19 today

QuadBomb
02-05-11, 18:06
I know, it's not exactly charting new territory or reviewing the latest handgun to hit the market. But the only trigger time I've ever had behind a Glock was 5 rounds through a G27 about two years ago. It was new for me and the G19 is revered around here, so as a noob I thought I'd come here and share my experience.

I own two handguns, both .45s: a Springfield TRP and an HK45c. Used to subscribe to the "bigger is better" school of thought when it came to handgun caliber, but after being a member here for less than a year I want my next handgun to be a 9mm. Just got married, and my wife and I paid for the whole thing ourselves. Right now we're busy paying down our school debt and putting money in savings, so new acquisitions aren't much of a priority these days. But I was at the range blowing some birdshot with my 870 (cheap!) and I decided to rent the G19 and shoot a box of 9mm through it.

The size of the G19 is just about perfect. Just big enough to have a decent length barrel and hold plenty of ammo but still quite compact enough to conceal. I'd never really paid attention, but after using it the slide stop isn't so small after all, despite what I'd heard from other non-Glock users before. Recoil was light and easy to manage, and the action was smooth. Lots of guys knock the trigger pull, but it should come as no surprise to anyone here that it was not bad at all. Easy to get used to, if somewhat different from what I have shot before.

The sights are different too. It took some focus to align them correctly. I kept shooting a bit high; my natural grip was elevating the front sight blade higher than the rear sight. Must have been the Glock grip angle. But, with some practice I forced myself to lower the front sight and with each trigger pull I was rewarded with the clang of the bullet striking steel.

The grip was also not what I'm used to. Although it's smaller than the M9 I carried in Afghanistan, holding a firm grip on the G19 was tiresome for my fingers. I suppose that has to do with the shape of it.

All in all, I can see why the G19 is so respected. Sure it doesn't feel as nice or aim as easily as a 1911 - nothing does. But with training, there is no question I or anyone could be very, very effective with this weapon. When the time comes (way down the road) for me to get my next handgun, the G19 will be a contender. Hopefully I can test shoot the M&P9 and the P30 as well.

bkb0000
02-05-11, 18:35
i was once a .45-because-they-dont-make-a-46 kind of guy too... to make a long story short, i'd rather have more opportunities for hits in a shorter period of time.

9emems, especially low bore-axis 9mms like the glock, shoot so quickly, you can put 3 accurately on target in the same amount of time it takes you to put 1 or 2 .45s in the same ring. the heart does not care if it's been shredded by a 9mm JHP or a .45 JPH, and neither do major blood vessels or other organs.

KentuckyWindage
02-05-11, 19:58
i was once a .45-because-they-dont-make-a-46 kind of guy too... to make a long story short, i'd rather have more opportunities for hits in a shorter period of time.

9emems, especially low bore-axis 9mms like the glock, shoot so quickly, you can put 3 accurately on target in the same amount of time it takes you to put 1 or 2 .45s in the same ring. the heart does not care if it's been shredded by a 9mm JHP or a .45 JPH, and neither do major blood vessels or other organs.

well said. +1

BWT
02-05-11, 21:16
Agreed, same boat.

I'll be getting a 9mm as soon as convenient.

More manageable recoil, higher capacity (often nearing double) of .45 ACP, cheap to shoot so you can practice with it.

It's the next gun purchase I'm making.

Seraph
02-05-11, 21:58
Glock 19 is just one of those guns, like a Ruger 10/22, of which everybody should have at least one. IMO, it's the best of the Glock breed. While there are certainly valid reasons for preferring other models, it's incontrovertible that the Glock 19 is a truly superlative sidearm.

skyugo
02-06-11, 03:19
the g19 isn't really something you necessarily pick up and say "wow this thing is flawless" but a little time with it will have you realizing that it's very workable, and very easy to use under stress. Can't really beat that trigger for tactile feedback.
There's really nothing simpler to work on and keep operational than a glock either.
There's nothing quite like the glock 19 in terms of overall elegance of design, capacity, and size.

Mark/MO
02-06-11, 09:00
the g19 isn't really something you necessarily pick up and say "wow this thing is flawless" but a little time with it will have you realizing that it's very workable, and very easy to use under stress.

+1
I went from mild contempt, to buying one for my wife (at her request), to now owning his and hers Glock 19s. I have to say they grow on you ... or maybe it just took me time to appreciate it. Whatever it is the total package seems to be just about perfect, at least for me.

Oh and I went the same route as bkb0000; give me a 45 or nothing sort of guy. His reasoning is exactly the path and the conclusions I finally arrived at.

JSTICFRALL
02-06-11, 09:24
Although I had to sell my G19, I would have never let it go if I didn't have to. I had about 2 years behind it and loved how easy it was to shoot and maintain. Modifying it was a piece of cake as well which saves you money in the long run from having to pay a smith to do the work for you. I was never entirely too crazy about the trigger especially after feeling what other guns out there felt like, however with some practice and learning the short reset, it becomes second nature.

czydj
02-06-11, 10:43
The grip was also not what I'm used to. Although it's smaller than the M9 I carried in Afghanistan, holding a firm grip on the G19 was tiresome for my fingers. I suppose that has to do with the shape of it...

...Hopefully I can test shoot the M&P9 and the P30 as well.

IMHO, you owe it to yourself to run the G19 and M&P9 back to back...

skyugo
02-06-11, 20:14
IMHO, you owe it to yourself to run the G19 and M&P9 back to back...

definitely worth doing. that said i hate the M&P's reset. I've yet to try the newest apex kit though.

FailureDrill-P099
02-07-11, 16:36
G19 is awsome. I have been a .40 cal shooter as I carried a G35, G22 and G23 on duty for years. Resently I bought a G19 gen2 and love it. Duty rounds these days there is very little difference between 9mm .40 and 45acp. G19 same round capacity as my full size Glock in .40

deeHKman
02-07-11, 17:20
the g19 isn't really something you necessarily pick up and say "wow this thing is flawless" but a little time with it will have you realizing that it's very workable, and very easy to use under stress. Can't really beat that trigger for tactile feedback.
There's really nothing simpler to work on and keep operational than a glock either.
There's nothing quite like the glock 19 in terms of overall elegance of design, capacity, and size.

Very well put i enjoyed reading your post as i agree 100%. I bought my first Glock this summer a G19 and decided to stay with the same simple platform. I never fired a striker so it was different now i like it. I just took my 19 off i carry it EDC in a Galco N3, great post thanks

LHQuattro
02-07-11, 17:46
definitely worth doing. that said i hate the M&P's reset. I've yet to try the newest apex kit though.

I've got two identically set up M&P9s with the Apex DCAEK. One with the RAM. They are both pretty "clicky". Although, the reset is so short with the Apex sears, even if I couldn't feel it at all, doubt I'd ever notice a difference....its shorter than my glocks now.

DasBulk
02-07-11, 18:07
I have a full size USP and a Glock 19. The Glock is just so much more fun and falls back on target so much quicker. I still shoot my USP, but no where near as often as my Glock.