PDA

View Full Version : Sako TRG 42 info

MTR7
09-03-07, 19:07
I have been looking at these in .338 for a while( black fixed stock). Anybody have actual time with/on one? Who sells them? What extra goodies do I need to order along with the gun? Is the factory tactical mount ok? Optics, S&B, U.S. Optics, Ziess, which one and why.
Thanks in advance for your help
Matthew

LastRites
10-25-07, 06:33
If you buy one, you will find that it has one of the slickest actions of any bolt gun you have ever handled. The stock trigger will need no help, nothing short of sweet. And it will group as they say, less than MOA at distance. You can't go wrong, and you won't be disappointed.

Tuukka
10-25-07, 08:38
You cant go wrong with the Sako TRG rifles. In my opinion one of the best factory produced sniper rifles in the world.

Good design overall with the chassis design in the stock, extremely accurate, robust, factory trigger is very good and accessories are numerous from the factory ( although some accessories might be somewhat expensive )

I have access both to a TRG-22 and 42 at work. Our old, much shot, TRG-22 is still shooting 0.5 MOA if the shooter does his job right.

GONIF
10-25-07, 19:40
I still regret the day mine went ,it was a .308 with a Leupold MK4 scope . if you can afford it you will never regret it . my current Rem 700P is ok but that Sako was the cat's ass. :(

trg42
11-11-07, 10:12
If you want a 338 Lapua , the TRG-42 is actually a reasonable cost choice . Alternatives are more expensive ( Timberwolf ( drool ), Dakota, Blaser etc ) . The only "cheap" alternative is the TRG-S action which is kinda hard to find now or the CZ. By the time you are done with a custom stick ( Surgeon etc ) with these actions you will be into for far more money than a TRG-42

Accuracy

Both mine and my buddies with shoot 1/2 MOA ( 3 shoot @200 ) all day long . Its hard to do 5 shot groups with a 338LM because the mirage will be so bad after touching off 100gr

The action is very smooth but what will impress you is the trigger can be adjusted every which way for weight and position. Best factory trigger IMO

Accesories

I would buy the Near Manufacturing ( nearmfg.com ) brake . I prefer this to the SAKO OEM ( I have both ) . You want a brake

People complain about the cost of SAKO accessories but these are guys that have never bought them. Their bipod is over $400 . I said I wouldnt spend $400 on a bipod that it is grossly overpriced. My buddy bought one and I borrowed it for a while. I am now one of those believers in a $400 bipod. Its that much better than a Harris

Optics
Prefer a separate base and traditional rings than the Sako one piece quick detatch

Best base is the 22MOA sloped from Near . Use rings of your choice ( Badger, Seekiins, NF etc )

I run both a NF 5.5-22 NSX and a S&B PM II 3-12 . If you are shooting paper at long range you cant go wrong with 22X . Some FFP scopes such as the standard mil dot on a PMII have crosshairs to thick . It will cover up to much of the paper making shooting for groups tough

Colour
You need to see the green stock with phospate finish . Looks better than the black IMO ( I also have a TRG-22 in black )

Ammunition

The only downside of the TRG-42 is the use a 1-12 twist which is not ideal to stabilize the Sierra MK 300gr so you are stuck with the SMK 250s or the Lapua Scenars . The Scenars 250s have superior BC than the SMK 250s

Both Norma and Lapua make good brass. The Lapuas have factory annealed necks .

Dies - buy good dies such as the Redding Competition bushing. Don't scrimp and buy Hornady etc

Powder - tried everything you could imagin. I prefer Retumbo