PDA

View Full Version : new man

terry205
02-06-11, 09:15
I am new to ar world. I am 57 years old and know about orther types of guns i just never had a ar gun. Please help me to decide $2,500.00 to spend to start with. Any and all my guns will be handed down to my son. AND I HOPE ALL FATHERS WILL DO THE SAME FOR THERE SONS AND DAUGHTERS.

Rohardi
02-06-11, 09:27
For $2500, You could get a Knights SR15 E3. It comes ready to go all out of the box. Comes with knights Back up Iron sights, 2 stage trigger, it's fully ambidextrous, LMT SOPMOD stock, Knights URX mid length rail system and knights vertical fore grip. It also comes with the Knight's enhanced bolt, witch is designed to have an extended service life. It is a extremely light rifle, yet it's probably the lightest shooting AR15 out of the box. You can pick up the rifle for around $2000... At that point you could find a Aimpoint for $500/mount and pretty much be good to go. only other things you would need would be a light, sling and mags...

Here's a thread discussing why The Knights SR-15 is such an amazing rifle

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58268&highlight=sr15

Here's the link to the SR-15 on knights sight

http://www.knightarmco.com/sr15.html

MookNW
02-06-11, 09:43
I'd drop $1200 on a nice gun, colt/dd/bcm . Grtactical has a complete 16" bcm middie for $999. At that price, you could get a boss optic, 1k of ammo , a couple of doodads and carbine 1 class. Knights is a good rifle though.
Edit: or you could get two 6920's and go shooting with the youngster.

Hmac
02-06-11, 09:53
If that is your budget for the rifle (not including training courses and thousands of rounds of ammo), subtract about $750 for optics, sling, extra magazines and other miscellaneous accessories and start shopping for rifles $1750 and below. You don't HAVE to spend that much to get a good, serviceable rifle, but that amount will buy you a good one.

First you have to define for yourself what you're going to do with it - what's its purpose? That will determine things like rifle configuration, barrel length, barrel design, and barrel material.

Most importantly, you are going to want to learn how to shoot the rifle and use it according to its purpose and design, so be prepared to spend money on training courses. Also, be aware that you will shoot a lot of ammo. It would be common for a training course to require you shoot 750-1000 rounds in a day.

seabass
02-09-11, 01:09
The Knight's is one of the finest out of the box rifles you can buy.

A lot of thought was put into the design of it. It is a great handling and shooting rifle. It has built in ambi control of bolt release and mag release. Not much to improve on it except to buy a optional sight and nice sling.

One thing I like about the Knights is the proprietary gas length system which is a tad longer than a middy system. The rifle is very soft recoiling and very controllable. If you wanted to improve it even more, put a Battle Comp on it.

The looks of the SR-15 is deceiving. It is a very light rifle. It is expensive but pay once and do it right.

Hmac
02-09-11, 06:17
Knights is a good rifle, no question. But if we're talking something that's also a posterity weapon for our kids to use 30+ years from now, I'd be a little cautious about a rifle with a proprietary gas system, proprietary control parts, and especially a proprietary wear part like the bolt/BCG. There are and will be a lot of mil spec parts for the mil spec AR15 platform out there for many years to come...I'll bet my son will have no trouble buying a new bolt for my Noveske when he passes the rifle on to his son. Not so sure that's going to be true of a low volume premium specialty rifle with as many proprietary parts as the Knight's.

stevenscobra
02-13-11, 04:41
I am new to ar world. I am 57 years old and know about orther types of guns i just never had a ar gun. Please help me to decide $2,500.00 to spend to start with. Any and all my guns will be handed down to my son. AND I HOPE ALL FATHERS WILL DO THE SAME FOR THERE SONS AND DAUGHTERS.

Are you looking to adopt? haha

Jay Cunningham
02-21-11, 22:56

I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to pony up for your kid.

That said, you can buy a helluva lot of AR for that much! For a 100% out-of-the-box solution, you may want to consider the Daniel Defense Vickers Edition M4 Carbine.

RogerinTPA
02-22-11, 06:58
I'd drop $1200 on a nice gun, colt/dd/bcm . Grtactical has a complete 16" bcm middie for $999. At that price, you could get a boss optic, 1k of ammo , a couple of doodads and carbine 1 class. Knights is a good rifle though.
Edit: or you could get two 6920's and go shooting with the youngster.

If that is your budget for the rifle (not including training courses and thousands of rounds of ammo), subtract about $750 for optics, sling, extra magazines and other miscellaneous accessories and start shopping for rifles $1750 and below. You don't HAVE to spend that much to get a good, serviceable rifle, but that amount will buy you a good one.

First you have to define for yourself what you're going to do with it - what's its purpose? That will determine things like rifle configuration, barrel length, barrel design, and barrel material.

Most importantly, you are going to want to learn how to shoot the rifle and use it according to its purpose and design, so be prepared to spend money on training courses. Also, be aware that you will shoot a lot of ammo. It would be common for a training course to require you shoot 750-1000 rounds in a day.

Agreed. A Daniel Defense M4 or Middy, BCM middy or Colt6920. A red dot sight and light are a must. Use the rest for Ammo, Mags and training.