PDA

View Full Version : Recently inherited press and supplies

Rys06TBSS
02-06-11, 11:30
I was talking to my dad about starting to reload, and he told me he had a press and other supplies that my grandpa had. I went over to his house yesterday to pick everything up. The press is looks to be a Pacific C type press. I also got a powder trickler 2 sets of 38 SPC dies and a 3 piece set for 45 acp. Does anybody have any info on this press? It looks to have a single case size ram. I think I need to upgrade the ram to a universal style ram so I can use different shell holders. I plan on reloading 9mm and 223. Also I might reload 7.62X54R. I also got a case trimmer with this stuff, but it looks to only be set up for 38. There are a few items that I have no idea what they are or if I even need them.

I know these are molds and from the looks of it I think one is 38 SPC and the other is for 38-40 maybe.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TU7U9fkHe9I/AAAAAAAAAiE/aUpL6Vmz9nc/s640/2011-02-06_11-03-06_216.jpg
Im not sure what this grey thing is either.

Also can anybody identify this powder trickler? The canister is stripped and needs replacement(probally due to the fact that this might be close to 40 or 50 years old.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TU7VL5r6XII/AAAAAAAAAiM/7b8lPW06TpU/s640/2011-02-06_11-04-00_516.jpg

Lastley what are these things?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TU7VUDQSVaI/AAAAAAAAAiY/yFXEADQXc6o/s640/2011-02-06_11-06-08_750.jpg

Besides the goofy stuff and missing the dies I need, is this basically all I need to get started?

skyugo
02-06-11, 17:31
those last things might be bullet swagers?

that old lyman press looks workable.

good luck getting a canister for the powder measure though... probably best just buying a new one of those.

Rys06TBSS
02-06-11, 17:48
I think think they are old reloaders. The bottom one says 38 WCF on it. The top is stamped 38 S&W S.

I found out the Lyman thing is actually a bullet shaper? I belive. I still have the canister for the power measure, the threads are just gone on it. I bet I could epoxy it in place. Or I guess i could just buy a new one.

1_click_off
02-06-11, 18:34
Just slide the canister in the measurer and put 1 wrap of duct tape around the bottom. I had one like that for years. Just be sure to check your power when you get low. Buy another case of primers instead.

Rys06TBSS
02-06-11, 18:41
Just slide the canister in the measurer and put 1 wrap of duct tape around the bottom. I had one like that for years. Just be sure to check your power when you get low. Buy another case of primers instead.

I like that idea! Do you have any idea who made this? My grandpa held all the answers, but he passed away 15 years ago

1_click_off
02-06-11, 19:05
I would guess Lyman just because it is orange. Dillon=blue RCBS=green Hornady=red Lyman=orange Redding can sometimes be green as well. These manufacturers typically stick to these colors for easy brand recognition.

Rys06TBSS
02-06-11, 20:08
I would guess Lyman just because it is orange. Dillon=blue RCBS=green Hornady=red Lyman=orange Redding can sometimes be green as well. These manufacturers typically stick to these colors for easy brand recognition.

Thanks! It appears to be a Lyman 55... Looks like the stripped tube is 17 dollars. So thats half a box of primers. Duct tape it is. I could probally use clear packing tape so I can at least see thru it.

1_click_off
02-06-11, 20:29
On second thought, I would buy an up to date reloading manual instead of the primers. I just picked up a Lyman 49th edition. It has a good "how to" section if you are new to reloading.

Yes, clear tape would be a better idea. Read and under stand the process before you start, double or triple check everything until you get comfortable reloading. Once you are comfortable, still double and triple check everything. This is something that is not very forgiving if you make a mistake. There are several really good posts on here that will list all the items you will need to complete the items needed to reload and list the items that are nice to have, but not needed.

ryan
02-06-11, 20:32
That looks like a bullet swage not a press to me.

Rys06TBSS
02-06-11, 23:52
I didnt take a picture of the press because I knew what it was. The press is a Blue Pacific C Type press. It has ram that fits 38 SPC. I know that for a fact. What is a bullet Swage? used for? I guess what Im wondering is do I need this. Im willing to sell off what I dont need seeing as how I am currently unemployed. Who makes the best cheapest dies. I was thinking about getting a 9mm Lee Die and 223 as well.

Rys06TBSS
02-06-11, 23:53
Or should I buy a book first and read it for a while.

1_click_off
02-07-11, 06:55
A swage is used for cast bullets. When you cast bullets in molds like you have, the diameter is too large and there is no lube on the bullet. The swage resizes bullets to the proper diameter and lubes them. If you purchase cast bullets or jacked bullets the swage is not needed. They have already been swaged at the factory. I would read for sure before you start casting your own bullets.

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 09:17
A swage is used for cast bullets. When you cast bullets in molds like you have, the diameter is too large and there is no lube on the bullet. The swage resizes bullets to the proper diameter and lubes them. If you purchase cast bullets or jacked bullets the swage is not needed. They have already been swaged at the factory. I would read for sure before you start casting your own bullets.

I dont plan on casting my own bullets. I meant read up alot before I start reloading. I am going to sell these bullet molds and this swage then. Thanks again for your help

Ranger325
02-07-11, 10:21
FWIW, I think you have some really cool old reloading gear that belonged to your grandpa (a huge plus!!) I'm envious.

That said, if you are really interested in reloading, I would get some books (ABCs of Reloading, etc) and look at current/modern gear. You can then decide questions like, single stage or progressive, blue or green or red or ??,............

Your inherited treasures will look great on your bench! Congrats.

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 10:41
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TVAeAWbGG_I/AAAAAAAAAj0/L-ViB2R06qo/s800/2011-02-07_10-27-52_627.jpg

Here is a picture of the press.

ryan
02-07-11, 15:54
Making your own bullets is a worthwhile endeavor in my opinion, especially since you are already equipped to do alot of it. I want to get started but is cost prohibitive at this time.

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 16:27
Its even worthwhile for .223?

ryan
02-07-11, 16:30
Na more so for pistol or lower velocity loads, you can do so with a .223 but need to load them down to be accurate from what I have seen.

Hound_va
02-07-11, 19:38
I was talking to my dad about starting to reload, and he told me he had a press and other supplies that my grandpa had. I went over to his house yesterday to pick everything up. The press is looks to be a Pacific C type press. I also got a powder trickler 2 sets of 38 SPC dies and a 3 piece set for 45 acp. Does anybody have any info on this press? It looks to have a single case size ram. I think I need to upgrade the ram to a universal style ram so I can use different shell holders. I plan on reloading 9mm and 223. Also I might reload 7.62X54R. I also got a case trimmer with this stuff, but it looks to only be set up for 38. There are a few items that I have no idea what they are or if I even need them.

I know these are molds and from the looks of it I think one is 38 SPC and the other is for 38-40 maybe.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TU7U9fkHe9I/AAAAAAAAAiE/aUpL6Vmz9nc/s640/2011-02-06_11-03-06_216.jpg
Im not sure what this grey thing is either.
It is a Lyman Lube Sizer. It sizes cast lead bullets to proper size and applies lube to the bullet's lube groove

Also can anybody identify this powder trickler? The canister is stripped and needs replacement(probally due to the fact that this might be close to 40 or 50 years old.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TU7VL5r6XII/AAAAAAAAAiM/7b8lPW06TpU/s640/2011-02-06_11-04-00_516.jpg

That is a powder measure, a different creature than a powder trickler
Lastley what are these things?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_M5x9I2vrZ48/TU7VUDQSVaI/AAAAAAAAAiY/yFXEADQXc6o/s640/2011-02-06_11-06-08_750.jpg

Those would also be called tong tools. They are simple hand presses for reloading

Besides the goofy stuff and missing the dies I need, is this basically all I need to get started?

I added to your post.

1_click_off
02-07-11, 21:45
To answer your last question about what else is needed.....

Press.....Check

Dies.....Check

Powder Measure....... a little tape and Check

Case trimmer.......Check

Scale..... Needed. You can get a balance beam or electronic. I like balance beam.

Dial Calipers.... Needed. I got one from Autozone and it has worked well for me

Not sure how your press works for seating primers. If it doesn't, the Lee auto prime works well.

Good reloading manual.... GET THIS

Case Lube.....Needed for rifle cases with or without carbide dies or pistol without carbide dies. You shouldn't need to lube you pistol cases with carbide dies. I still do just because it is easier.

Nice to have but not needed
Trickler
Case trays
Case guages
Bullet puller
Tumbler/ultrasonic cleaner

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 22:07
Why do I need a bullet puller. Besides to pull bullets. This has a primer tube and a thing to install primers on the press. Would you recommend a hand held press?

1_click_off
02-07-11, 22:15
Bullet puller is in the "nice to have" section. If you get done reloading and relize you used the wrong amount of kind of powder, you can pull the bullets recapture the powder and start over, or if you simply seat a bullet too deep you can pull it.

I always liked to use the Lee auto prime just because it is so easy and fast. You also get a better feel on how the primer went into the primer pocket with it. Treat it like a firearm and keep the case pointed in a safe direction while seating.

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 22:20
Oh the autoprime is just a hand primer. Ok. Well Ill start with a book first. I still need to buy a arbor and collet for the case trimmer. This one is set up for .38. I need a scale, I need Dies, I need a ram and shell holders. So It looks like while I have a decent start, I still need a bunch of stuff.

1_click_off
02-07-11, 22:24
Before you spend too much on that old press, you may want to price a new press that can accept the new dies and just get a set of shell holders, or just the ones you are going to use. A basic press is around 100 bucks. Case trimmer is not really needed until you reload more that twice. I would put the money elsewhere and pick up the items for the case trimmer later.

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 22:25
Before you spend too much on that old press, you may want to price a new press that can accept the new dies and just get a set of shell holders, or just the ones you are going to use. A basic press is around 100 bucks.

I found a "universal ram" for 22 dollars. They also have shell holder for 8 dollars

1_click_off
02-07-11, 22:34
I found a "universal ram" for 22 dollars. They also have shell holder for 8 dollars

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=121744

Everything you need.... Just to see if you like it before getting into it big time. But I do think it would be cool to reload with your grandpa's old gear. I would use the old stuff first and if you have trouble finding parts.......

I have no experiance with this press, just looked like a good deal with a quick search.

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 22:42
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=121744

Everything you need.... Just to see if you like it before getting into it big time.

I'm Larry Potterfield... and thats the way it is I was thinking about that set a while back... But what do I do with all the stuff I have recently accumulated

1_click_off
02-07-11, 22:54
I'm Larry Potterfield... and thats the way it is I was thinking about that set a while back... But what do I do with all the stuff I have recently accumulated

Put it on display, I have some of my grandpa's stuff on display in my house. I am still using my single stage RCBS press I got from my grandpa. I am just not familiar with your press or what it is going to take to get it up and going, but for $22 and a set of shell holders that sounds like the way to go. Go get a good scale and your dies instead.

Rys06TBSS
02-07-11, 22:59
Put it on display, I have some of my grandpa's stuff on display in my house. I am still using my single stage RCBS press I got from my grandpa. I am just not familiar with your press or what it is going to take to get it up and going, but for $22 and a set of shell holders that sounds like the way to go. Go get a good scale and your dies instead.

10/4 This press isnt a compounding pressure press though... That might be why there is an extra 12 in extension on the handle. I think ill just pick up a ram and shell holders, dies and what not and take it from there. I still dont know if I want to hand on to this Bullet making stuff.

1_click_off
02-07-11, 23:29
Pm sent

Bimmer
02-08-11, 13:01
I was talking to my dad about starting to reload, and he told me he had a press and other supplies that my grandpa had...

I also got a powder trickler 2 sets of 38 SPC dies and a 3 piece set for 45 acp...

I plan on reloading 9mm and 223. Also I might reload 7.62X54R.

My 2¢: Don't use this stuff.

If you want to learn how to reload, then go buy a modern progressive (I'm a Dillon fan) and start loading 9mm.

Learning how to reload on this antiquated equipment would be like learning to drive in an antique car... Feasible, yes. Sentimentally rewarding: maybe. Frustrating, yes. Inefficient, yes.

Once you've mastered making 9mm on a progressive (it'll probably take a weekend), then you could step forward and start loading rifle cartridges or take a step back and start playing with your grandfather's equipment.

M2AP
02-11-11, 19:26
Those 2 tools that resemble pliars are probably the old Lyman 310 tool for reloading rifle and pistol cartridges. They have been around a long time.
Check them out and see if you have all the parts for them. Lyman could hook you up with info and maybe parts if you need them.
You probably won't use them but they are cool to have.
I believe they still make them.

Rys06TBSS
02-18-11, 19:38
Sorry for bumping the delayed responce. I understand a new kit is ~100 dollars. But why not just put 20 dollars into the press i currently have and use that? As I belive i previously stated, Im currently laid off... so Id PREFER to not spend any more moneys then I have to. I am going to be using mostly once fired brass as well. Should I start with just 9mm? Or does it not matter?

Bimmer
02-18-11, 19:43
As I belive i previously stated, Im currently laid off... so Id PREFER to not spend any more moneys then I have to.

I somehow missed that. OK, if your time and patience are relatively plentiful and money is tight, then start with what you've got...

Should I start with just 9mm?

I would.

Pistol rounds are easy, and it's harder to really hurt yourself if you do something horribly wrong.

Regardless, you really must start with one caliber, master that, and then add others.

Thomas M-4
02-18-11, 19:54
Yea pistol you wont need a case trimmer and you shouldn't have to worry about a primer crimp remover.

Bimmer
02-18-11, 19:55
Yea pistol you wont need a case trimmer and you shouldn't have to worry about a primer crimp remover.

Or lubing cases, either...

Rys06TBSS
02-18-11, 20:37
Really no case trimmer? Is that because the bullets are pressed in and not crimped in place? I wonder why my grandpa had this case trimmer set up for .38 SPC then? Weird.

Primer Crimp remover? Whats that?

Bimmer
02-18-11, 20:42

Exactly.

For now, just trust us, and start with 9mm...

Rys06TBSS
02-18-11, 20:45
Exactly.

For now, just trust us, and start with 9mm...

Well Ill probally end up actually starting with 45 acp... Since I already have the dies. SO I should order the new Ram to update my press?

Thomas M-4
02-18-11, 20:49
Really no case trimmer? Is that because the bullets are pressed in and not crimped in place? I wonder why my grandpa had this case trimmer set up for .38 SPC then? Weird.

I don't know why he would have had it set up for 38spl.
Rifle cases grow in length after firing from the extreme pressure involved. Funny enough from my [Limited experience I notice pistol cases actually shrink a tiny bit after firing]. Why that is I don't know still new to reloading my self. The primer crimp remover is for military brass 5.56-7.62 but a lot of .223 are also crimped.

Rys06TBSS
02-18-11, 20:52
Rifle cases grow in length after firing from the extreme pressure involved. Funny enough from my [Limited experience I notice pistol cases actually shrink a tiny bit after firing]. Why that is I don't know still new to reloading my self. The primer crimp remover is for military brass 5.56-7.62 but a lot of .223 are also crimped.

Ya know what... I have bullet molds for .38-40. Maybe it was used for that then. Again I have NO clue what is up with most of this stuff.

chadbag
02-18-11, 21:22

I knew a guy and the only thing he did trim was either 38spl or 357 mag. I don't remember which. He shot long range competitive silhouette (100+ yd) revolver. Pistol brass can stretch as well but with the amount of brass and the shape of the cases it is much less likely to do so in an amount you care to trim over the normal life of the case. I have never trimmed a handgun case

1_click_off
02-19-11, 10:25

Take a non-fired case, measure the O.D. of the case. Take a fired case and measure the O.D. The increase O.D. (mostly the increase near the neck) is where the length went. Once it is resized it will gain length back.