PDA

View Full Version : Laser shooters - has it quit on you?

wha-tah-hey
02-06-11, 12:25
I've revised this question to focus on LaserMax, LaserLyte, Sightmark or other non-Crimson Trace railmounts in the $90-$150 range, since the posts below have (in a non-scientific way, for sure) assured me of CT reliability under the sort of usage which I'd encounter.
(I may be way wrong, but I don't think the $30 ones could be very good.)

Your experience is of interest, good and (maybe particularly) bad.

Thanks.

David Thomas
02-07-11, 00:49
I have carried my Mars Axiom for about two years and shot it a fair amount. It wears crimson trace 401 grips. Still on the original battery and zero problems. No shift in zero and does not seem to mind rain, sleet or the infamous "winter mix" we get here in LA.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=902241&postcount=12

Best thing about the CT grips is that if something does go wrong, the sights still work. Also it is easy to confirm your zero has not shifted. Well worth the money.

Same experience with a set of CT 105's on a j-frame, though it has far fewer rounds down range.

kaltblitz
02-07-11, 01:41
I've been carrying a S&W 442 with a set of CT's since 02/07. I've shot about 1500 rounds through it and have carried it almost 24/7 in either a pocket or on my ankle since then. I'm still on the original battery and have experienced no shift in zero.

I know quite a few folks who also use CT's (mainly on J-frames and Berettas) and I have yet to hear any complaints about them.

wha-tah-hey
02-07-11, 02:12
Thanks to you both for the input, and for the pix David - nice looking 1911 and obviously not a "safe queen"! ;)

85ish views so far and no failure report.

But I suspect the Super Bowl kept many offline. :)

tpd223
02-07-11, 04:59
I have three sets of the CT grips on my J frames, two of which have been carried daily for several years, often in hot weather and exposed to sweat, rain, mud, etc. I have yet to have an issue of any kind.

David Thomas
02-07-11, 12:49
Thanks to you both for the input, and for the pix David - nice looking 1911 and obviously not a "safe queen"! ;)

85ish views so far and no failure report.

But I suspect the Super Bowl kept many offline. :)

Definitely not a safe queen.

This video was posted by HeadHunter previously on this forum:

This video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5765497465832437742&hl=en)

I am sure you have seen this: http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/crimson-trace-lasergrips/

wha-tah-hey
02-08-11, 15:38
FWIW (and very little, I suspect), I asked 4 mfrs' CS for a simple yes/no answer whether they were aware of any failures of their handgun-mounted products while firing (when one really really wants it to work :D).

2 of 4 stated they had 0 reports of failure while firing.

TriumphRat675
02-08-11, 15:54
I have CT's (the older hard polymer version) on a j-frame - they must be 6 years old by now and has seen a fair amount of rounds downrange. I've replaced the batteries once to date. A few years ago the button started activating the laser intermittently - it seems picky about how hard you press it and whether you're pushing it straight in or off to the side, if that makes any sense. I haven't bothered to replace it or complain since I hardly carry the host gun anymore.

Alaskapopo
02-09-11, 03:41
I stopped carring my Crimson Trace laser grips not because I did not like the laser but because they kept failing at around 18 months to 2 years of use. That seemed too short to me at the price they charge. The switch is what goes out. The first time they replaced the grips. The second time I was well outside of warranty and just decided not to replace them.
Pat

wha-tah-hey
02-09-11, 05:07
I stopped carring my Crimson Trace laser grips not because I did not like the laser but because they kept failing at around 18 months to 2 years of use. That seemed too short to me at the price they charge. The switch is what goes out. The first time they replaced the grips. The second time I was well outside of warranty and just decided not to replace them.
Pat

I wonder, in light of the other posts - might weather (no, not Global Warming :)) be a factor in your case?

Alaskapopo
02-09-11, 05:14
I wonder, in light of the other posts - might weather (no, not Global Warming :)) be a factor in your case?

No not really as the gun stays warm generally as its on my person. Its not left outside in a snow bank. What caused the issue I believe is I shoot my duty gun quite a bit in IDPA matches, for range practice. Its the pistol I shoot the most. Even in matches where the laser is turned off the switch is still being compressed again and again for each draw.
If it was a light use weapon like a pocket pistol. (light use by little firing) I suspect it would last a long time. I had a laser on a 442 smith I owned that shot little and the laser is still working for its new owner. These things have issues when they are used a lot.
Pat

wha-tah-hey
02-09-11, 05:25
Thanks - that's reassuring - I've decided to get an M&P45 w/CT, primarily for CC, but I'd like to attend some training classes and at least intend moderate practice, so I won't be approaching that sort of usage.

LD3006
02-09-11, 07:55
I had to return a set of 405's (J-frame) that went intermittent between 200 and 250 rounds. Recoil seemed to shut the laser down then a few shots later, turn it back on. Crimson Trace promptly replaced them with a new set. Only about 100 rnds on the new set so far, so good.

Iraq Ninja
02-09-11, 08:28
I had a CT for a Glock that stopped working after about six months in Iraq. It didn't hold up to the environment and abuse.

wha-tah-hey
02-09-11, 12:21
Tnx for your input LD & Ninja.

As mentioned above, I'm getting an M&P but want to ask about lifespan first, particularly CT.

So far, seems quite dependable in any normal usage such as I have in mind.

GJM
02-09-11, 13:56
I have been experimenting with the dedicated CT laser for the HK 45C and the X400 on an HK 45, and found the amount of offset between the laser and barrel in these two applications, and the necessary compromises in a laser zero, to be too great a limitation.

wha-tah-hey
02-09-11, 14:17
Well, seems the M&P CT may be discontinued, tho' it's still listed on their website.

I've posted the question in another thread.

If so, I'll probably just go with the 45c or mid-size.
I definitely want the .45 and can add the CT grips later if I want, unless they've been discontinued also.

Sure could've gotten a nice discount from my local dealer tho'. :(

The_Biased_Observer
02-09-11, 14:58
I've sent a set of jframe grips back twice, once for the overmold coming off and once for a dead laser. Their build quality could use improvement and their prices lowered.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wha-tah-hey
02-10-11, 14:00
May be comparing apples to oranges - I have no experience w/any laser - but certainly compared to LaserMax & LaserLyte rail-mounts I see, CT's price does seem a bit extreme.

For all I know tho', they may just be that much better.

Jafo
02-10-11, 16:51
I've revised this question to focus on CT grips, as that's available at a substantial discount on the M&P I have in mind.

Your experience is of interest, good or bad.

Thanks.

Op I would not hesitate to purchase another set of Crimson trace laser grips. They have never failed to operate., going on 3 years now. I have a set on my G19 that is used for EDC. The only thing better I have used was the Laser Max internal laser on my Sig P229.
The department paid for the laser max. I replace my battery once a year on the crimson trace. Murphys law is why, no other!

Thanks to TV everyone knows if a laser is on you, youre screwed! I had a crack head eat dirt after a violent assault and a short foot pursuit. The laser was on crack heads chest and before I could tell him to get down he was eating dirt!

wha-tah-hey
02-10-11, 18:01
Tnx Jafo.

Looking back at responses so far, only one non-CT before I narrowed the question.
No doubt CT's the most popular and maybe 'cause they're just the best.

Right now I'm at a bit of a standstill on the question of current production of the M&P45 CT I've settled on (haven't been able to confirm or not) and whether my preferred local dealer (it's currently unlisted by his distributors) will be able to get it in the future.
It's still available from various sources, but for a good bit more than my pld would price it.
So now I'm considering the M&P45 with added railmount laser.

So I'll edit the original post again to focus on LaserMax & LaserLyte, as they each offer r/m lasers ~$100.

Tnx to all.

wha-tah-hey
02-10-11, 18:04
Deleted - duplicate post.

Magic_Salad0892
02-11-11, 01:47
I've had good experiences with them on a Glock 19 I used to own and a Glock 17.

wha-tah-hey
02-11-11, 08:43
I've had good experiences with them on a Glock 19 I used to own and a Glock 17.

Tnx for the reply, but which brand, please?

IZinterrogator
02-11-11, 10:11
I have one of the Lasermax rail-mounted lasers. It has seen little use since I bought it three years ago, but it seems like the switch is failing on me. When I turn it on, it will fade in and out on me. Pistol is a Glock 20SF.

wha-tah-hey
02-11-11, 12:52
I have one of the Lasermax rail-mounted lasers. It has seen little use since I bought it three years ago, but it seems like the switch is failing on me. When I turn it on, it will fade in and out on me. Pistol is a Glock 20SF.

No offense intended, but did you check or replace the battey in that time?

IZinterrogator
02-11-11, 13:57
Yup, battery was replaced. It is the green one, so it takes a second to warm up to full power. It will disappear, then warm back up to full power. I'm thinking the switch contacts might have loosened up due to a steady diet of DoubleTap 10mm rounds.

wha-tah-hey
02-11-11, 14:46
Yup, battery was replaced. It is the green one, so it takes a second to warm up to full power. It will disappear, then warm back up to full power. I'm thinking the switch contacts might have loosened up due to a steady diet of DoubleTap 10mm rounds.

Tnx IZ.
Useful post.

DocGKR
02-11-11, 18:07
At first I thought lasers on pistols were a gimmick, but after using them the last several years I became a convert, especially on BUG’s and at night.

After trying several options, the CTC Lasergrips appeared to be the best choice—over the last few years, I have personally purchased nearly a dozen sets of Lasergrips.

Without doubt, Lasergrips should be mandatory for all J-frames.

However, Lasergrips on service pistols are not without problems.

About 6 years ago, we first got the CTC LG617 grips for our G17’s-I personally purchased 3 pairs. We initially loved them, but the inability to turn the laser off became a vexing issue during routine gun handling, training, and especially when searching. The ability to turn the laser off and on is an IMPORTANT factor with service pistols (less so for off-duty CCW, and not an issue with BUG's). The LG417 does have an on-off switch.

Lasergrips for 1911's do have an ON-OFF switch, however, for folks with larger hands, when wearing gloves, the fabric frequently obscures the light beam from the Lasergrips—numerous AAR’s coming in from combat zones were sent to CTC complaining of this issue and the need for a re-design, but the owners at CTC don’t seem to care about input from their military end-users on this and several other problems. In addition, the LG401 Lasergrips were simply not lasting—we needed several spare Lasergrips just to keep at least two pistols (training and duty) functioning with lasers, as they keep failing at inopportune times and at relatively low round counts. Fortunately, CTC was pretty good about getting replacements sent out.

The LG660 Lasergrips for the M&P have an on-off switch, but unfortunately do not work with the ambi safety M&P's that I carry.

wha-tah-hey
02-11-11, 20:25
I started this thread to consider alternatives, in anticipation of finding S&W M&P45 CT to be discontinued.

I was informed by S&W CS today that they are current production, so my decision to buy one is reconfirmed by these posts.

Thanks to each who shared his comments.

regards,

Terry

loupav
02-12-11, 10:54
I had a lasermax unit on a HK P2000 9mm and that broke with in 500 rds.

Zach
02-13-11, 01:54
Lasermax internal on G19 2200 rds. no failure.