PDA

View Full Version : the truth is out there

cdunn
02-06-11, 13:13
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/06/2039969/costly-ale-guns-fail-get-traded.html
maybe they should have asked an outside source about kimbers first,I would have told them and saved them some time and money.I'm laughing on the inside.Its a good thing nobody got hurt because of them.:haha:

TOrrock
02-06-11, 13:25
According to that article, there are a bunch of boneheads running that agency.

Trading Swiss SIG 552's for Bushmaster carbines......someone needs a size 13 boot up their ass.

Disgraceful.

hickuleas
02-06-11, 13:26
Kimbers aren't what they used to be and many other brands have suffered quality issues lately. Too bad at one time Kimber made a good product.

PatEgan
02-06-11, 13:38

Trading Swiss SIG 552's for Bushmaster carbines......someone needs a size 13 boot up their ass.

Disgraceful.

+1, this is more about an internally rigged acquisition process.
Pat

Ed L.
02-06-11, 15:29
duplicate. never mind.

Amp Mangum
02-06-11, 18:56
Not a suprise that a compact 1911 isn't reliable for duty use.

cdunn
02-06-11, 19:42
Not a suprise that a compact 1911 isn't reliable for duty use.

I didn't see the model listed what was it?
I think you meant reliable for use.

Thursday
02-06-11, 21:48
Man and I thought Durham County was insane... At least I get Sheriffs here.

Bolt_Overide
02-06-11, 22:56
Someone needs to be kicked in the balls over this one.

CLHC
02-06-11, 23:03

Trading Swiss SIG 552's for Bushmaster carbines. . .

Disgraceful.
Truly indeed.

DanjojoUSMC
02-07-11, 02:12
This one has a photo of one of the pistols

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/06/971004/ales-pricey-guns-prove-unreliable.html

Seems like the gist of the story is - these guys are hooking themselves up with very nice guns every 3 years or so. Purchase one of the horrible, unreliable duty weapons for $200-300 and order up some new goodies for the gang - then repeat a few years later. :rolleyes:

"Chandler, the former director, bought his ALE Kimber for $1 when he retired in 2009. Records show he also bought a Sig pistol for $250 in 2003, a Remington shotgun for $92 in 2006, and another Sig pistol for $320 in 2009."

3 AE
02-07-11, 04:03
Geez, looks like they got their version of "The Book of The Month Club"! A nice little way of being able to buy back "problem", "unreliable", "unsupported" firearms for a few bucks. Hmm,I wonder what will go wrong with the Bushmasters,Eotechs,and Sigs a few years down the road? Yep, they got themselves a nice little purchasing club. Does anyone believe that these guys are the only agency that does this? :nono:

rbabbitt767
02-07-11, 12:57
So, the officers were issued Officer profile 1911s? That's negligence and idiocy. Of course they were having problems. Jeeeezus

SHIVAN
02-07-11, 13:28

Disgraceful.

It sounds like the "problems", of any sort, were a path towards unjust enrichment of the ALE staff. New SIG's 228's suck...replace them and sell them to agents for below cost, 1 year old. New Kimbers suck, replace them and sell them to a wholesaler who will sell them to the agents below cost.

552's are hard to find parts for, and not transferable, trade them in on semi-auto only Bushmasters we can retire in 2 years and get them to agents for $400.

The thing that throws a red flag is how does the safety "button" on a 1911 work anyway? (rhetorical) It certainly doesn't just "come off" as indicated in the article, or report on issues. It has a pretty long screw, and pretty stout spring. Who was bubba-****ing ALL of these guns, SIGs/Kimbers/etc, to the point anything needed to be replaced every year or two years?

Seriously.

cdunn
02-07-11, 15:39
I didn't see the model listed what was it?
I think you meant reliable for use.
ok, I've seen the pictures now.they really thought they had something too.

5pins
02-07-11, 15:39
Maybe they consider holster wear when deciding if a side arm is serviceable or not. I can’t imagine they are putting so many rounds through them that they need replacement every year or two.

Dave G
02-07-11, 17:29
Maybe they consider holster wear when deciding if a side arm is serviceable or not. I can’t imagine they are putting so many rounds through them that they need replacement every year or two.

Man I was trying to think how you can declare a gun suplus after 2 years. If I had unlimited ammo I'm not sure I could shoot a gun out in 2 years.

DaBigBR
02-07-11, 19:07
Man I was trying to think how you can declare a gun suplus after 2 years. If I had unlimited ammo I'm not sure I could shoot a gun out in 2 years.

I'm thinking that guys that shoot for a living would tell you you're right.

JonnyVain
02-08-11, 11:06
I'm glad I don't pay taxes there.

5pins
02-08-11, 17:34
One would have to wonder why employees are so eager to buy unserviceable weapons.

chuckman
02-08-11, 17:55
Don't get me started. I know two ALE officers. One is an awesome cop, can go anywhere he wants. The other is an oxygen-stealing, knuckle-dragging corpse who needs a mercy killing. They both, however, speak freely on the ineptitude of the leadership. Kimbers and Bushmasters? Seriously??

SHIVAN
02-08-11, 18:51
One would have to wonder why employees are so eager to buy unserviceable weapons.

I, er, it .....uh..... that's a great price for a collectable, er... the price is so good, I can't pass it up.

diving dave
02-08-11, 19:26
Sometimes you gotta just roll your eyes....:rolleyes: I carried a full size Kimber on duty for awhile...It now sits in my safe, and in the duty holster now rides a Nighthawk Custom. I will say no more!