PDA

View Full Version : Glock clean up?

trooper84
02-06-11, 14:51
I'll start this with a little background. I am my dept.'s firearms instructor and Glock armoror. This means that I am entrusted
with keeping all of our duty guns (Gen 3 GLock 22's and 27's)
clean and functioning. I recently came across a spare gun tucked
back away in the back of the safe in a cardboard box. From what
I have been able to gather, this belonged to an officer that retired
a few years back. My issue is that evidently before he turned it in,
he must of dunked it in either BreakFree LP or some other heavy
oil. I mean, the thing is completely soaked in oil. I plan on detail
stripping the gun and removing the oil, but was wondering what
would be the best route for removing it and what should be
re-oiled, etc.

mkmckinley
02-06-11, 14:56
I would just hit it with carb cleaner/degreaser. I hit some surplus AK mags in cosmoline with that stuff last weekend an it was like the gunk genie came along and evaporated all the grease.

The_Biased_Observer
02-06-11, 14:58
Brake cleaner and compressed air, then a proper lubricant.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

William B.
02-06-11, 15:08
I would just hit it with carb cleaner/degreaser. I hit some surplus AK mags in cosmoline with that stuff last weekend an it was like the gunk genie came along and evaporated all the grease.

+1 on the carb cleaner. I just buy the Advance Auto Parts store brand.

M4arc
02-06-11, 15:15
I would probably just break it down, wipe down all the parts, put a few drops of Mobile 1 on it and run several mags through it.

bmg
02-06-11, 16:05
+1 on the carb cleaner. I just buy the Advance Auto Parts store brand.

The carb cleaner doesn't cause any problems with the plastic?

trooper84
02-06-11, 16:16
The carb cleaner doesn't cause any problems with the plastic?

I was wondering this too. Sounds like it would work well on the metal parts, but don't want to hurt the polymer.

darr3239
02-06-11, 16:17
Don't believe it hurts the plastic any, but a guy used it inside our in-door range and stunk the place up really bad. Took a while to air it out! :(

willowofwisp
02-06-11, 17:58
degreaser works pretty well.

kaltblitz
02-06-11, 18:04
Mil-Comm MC25

http://www.mil-comm.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=22&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=65

It's non-toxic, works great and won't damage your gun. Mil-Comm sells to LE direct. Call them for special pricing.

CLHC
02-06-11, 18:11
SLiP 2000 725 Cleaner/Degreaser

blackboar
02-06-11, 19:39
As long as the oil/grease hasn't varnished out, Dawn Dishwasher detergent....It's a hell of a degreaser. Just make sure to blow it out with compressed air after you've cleaned it to dry out any water.

eternal24k
02-06-11, 19:46
SLiP 2000 725 Cleaner/Degreaser

good recommendation. I personally do not like all the fumes from the brake cleaner.

But personally, as mentioned i would just wipe it down and shoot it.

skyugo
02-06-11, 20:08
As long as the oil/grease hasn't varnished out, Dawn Dishwasher detergent....It's a hell of a degreaser. Just make sure to blow it out with compressed air after you've cleaned it to dry out any water.

yeah this is my preferred glock degreasing method. i've never heard of brake cleaner damaging the nylon variant that glocks are made of, but chlorinated solvents are generally very harsh on plastics.
soaking the gun in rubbing alcohol may be a good idea too for particularly stubborn grease. again, won't hurt any plastics.

my all steel pistols on the other hand get drenched in brake or carb cleaner :D

kartoffel
02-06-11, 20:30
Yep. Hot water and dish soap. Blow dry with compressed air. If you've got an ultrasonic cleaning tank (Harbor Freight has 'em cheap) you can drop the whole frame in, no need to detail strip.

Joe Mamma
02-06-11, 20:31
I would detail strip it and just wipe it down really well. Personally, I would not use carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gun scrubber or anything like that.

If I really wanted to get some gunk off of it, I would just use cotton patches with some regular gun solvent like Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice. Then wipe it down really well.

* At the very least, I would detail strip the slide and clean (and dry) out the firing pin channel and related components.

Joe Mamma

rathos
02-06-11, 21:03
Throw it in the dishwasher :haha:

I have always used tetra products. Action blaster works well for degreasing and doesn't hurt the polymer. I recently had a friend at my department douche his glock 17 in break free. Even after he blasted it with compressed air for 30 minutes he still found it leaking out of his gun. I hit it with the action blaster then added a bit of lube and it was good to go.

Heavy Metal
02-06-11, 21:16
yeah this is my preferred glock degreasing method. i've never heard of brake cleaner damaging the nylon variant that glocks are made of, but chlorinated solvents are generally very harsh on plastics.
soaking the gun in rubbing alcohol may be a good idea too for particularly stubborn grease. again, won't hurt any plastics.

my all steel pistols on the other hand get drenched in brake or carb cleaner :D

I clean my Glock lowers with soap, a toothbrush and hot water under the bathroom sink once a year. Detail stripping the lower is not necessary.

Rinse with fresh water, dry on a furnace vent for a couple of hours and re-lube with Weapons Shield on the contact points and very lightly on the springs(remember the mag catch spring) and call it good. I detail strip the slide.

tpd223
02-07-11, 04:54
Not to sound like an ass, but using auto and other specific use solvents on guns, when products like Gunscrubber are available (in polymer safe versions at that) is not real good advice.

Yes, I have done this myself in the past. Using this stuff on the frame is a bad idea in the long run, and completely unnecessary.

Detail strip the gun and either use Gunscrubber or a similar specific to guns product, or the hot soapy water.

I cleaned quite a few really nasty machine guns back in the day with soap and really hot water.

eternal24k
02-07-11, 06:26
Not to sound like an ass, but using auto and other specific use solvents on guns, when products like Gunscrubber are available (in polymer safe versions at that) is not real good advice.

Yes, I have done this myself in the past. Using this stuff on the frame is a bad idea in the long run, and completely unnecessary.

Detail strip the gun and either use Gunscrubber or a similar specific to guns product, or the hot soapy water.

I cleaned quite a few really nasty machine guns back in the day with soap and really hot water.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Gunscrubber is the same product as non-chlorinated brake cleaner (Brakleen), but with a higher cost.

The_Count
02-07-11, 06:56
If you have access to an ultra sonic machine I would suggest placing all metal parts in it with a combination of warm water and dish detergent.

It does a hell of a good job.

Dry, lube, patch the barrel, and test it out.

TC

malignantbum
02-07-11, 11:50
Don't take this the wrong way, you are the dept. Firearms instructor and a glock armorer yet you are soliciting advice for a VERY simple issue on an internet forum?

I am a fan of MPro7, we use it inside and there isn't an aroma to offend anyone.

02-07-11, 11:57
I'll second(third, whatever) the use of dish washing soap, toothbrush, and warm water. Rinse. I like to stick a cleaned frame, part, or mag in the oven, on low, for about 20min. Then lube up.

fivefivesix
02-07-11, 12:53
gun scrubber and brake clean are the same thing. read the cans and compare. carbcleaner however is totally different. carb cleaner is not safe for plastics.

ElrodCod
02-07-11, 14:34
I'll start this with a little background. I am my dept.'s firearms instructor and Glock armoror. This means that I am entrusted
with keeping all of our duty guns (Gen 3 GLock 22's and 27's)
clean and functioning. I recently came across a spare gun tucked
back away in the back of the safe in a cardboard box. From what
I have been able to gather, this belonged to an officer that retired
a few years back. My issue is that evidently before he turned it in,
he must of dunked it in either BreakFree LP or some other heavy
oil. I mean, the thing is completely soaked in oil. I plan on detail
stripping the gun and removing the oil, but was wondering what
would be the best route for removing it and what should be
re-oiled, etc.

I've been using WEAREVER brand non-clorinated brake parts cleaner from Advanced Auto Parts. It has no ill effect on the Glock nylon receiver. It's cheap ...~$3.69 a can. Sometimes they have a buy one get one free deal.

Timbonez
02-07-11, 14:43
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe Cleaner (http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/files/MSDS/Kits/33010_Synthetic_Safe_10_Ounce_Display.pdf)
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/files/MSDS/(2010)33227-33235-33245-33246GunScrubberAerosol.pdf)
Brakleen (http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/(MSDS)/BRAKLEEN%20NON%20CHLORINATED%205084/$FILE/MSDS.pdf)
3M High Powered Brake Cleaner (http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00x4Y_9Px_BMv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--)

gun scrubber and brake clean are the same thing. read the cans and compare. carbcleaner however is totally different. carb cleaner is not safe for plastics.

They're somewhat similar but not the same thing. Gun Scrubber is designed specifically for firearms, and brake cleaner is designed for automotive parts. Most will find that brake cleaner is useful for cleaning their firearms as well, but be sure you use non-chlorinated brake cleaner if you do.

DasBulk
02-07-11, 17:24
Dish detergent is awesome. Simple Green isn't bad either. Just rinse everything throughly after you use any degreaser to be sure you don't leave anything that could attack the frame.