PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight/Magpouch combo?

MookNW
02-06-11, 16:14
Anyone make a decent combo light/mag holder (m&p 9 17rd/ surefire G2) preferrably in leather? 1 1/2" loops.

ehcarl2983
02-06-11, 16:18
Raven Concealment's mag/light carriers are all modular, and can be bolted together. Not leather though....

Call_me_Tom
02-06-11, 17:05
I use a kydex Fobus paddle holster with the same light you mentioned. It isn't fancy but it gets the job done.

kmrtnsn
02-06-11, 18:48
Personally I think putting admin items next to/with fighting items isn't such a great idea.

mkmckinley
02-06-11, 18:54
Bladetech makes one although I haven't used it personally.

MookNW
02-07-11, 00:12
kmrtnsn: You make a valid point. I can see how under stress, someone may try to jam a g2 in the magwell. Also offers a glimpse of a backup mag when you go for the flashlight.
If you carry a flashlight, do you clip it to your strongside? My idea is to reduce the amount of things to hang on my belt when I leave the house. Perhaps kydex wouldn't be a deal-breaker, I just prefer leather holsters to kydex. Without a sweatguard, it may not be so much of an issue. The idea is to have something with snaps or clips or something like that, because threading stuff on the buckle side of my belt is a P.I.A.
mkmckinley: the bladetech is close to what I'm thinking about

GlockWRX
02-07-11, 00:25
I really like the Raven Eclipse modular accessory carrier for the G2. Click here (http://www.ravenconcealmentsystems.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_89_101&products_id=1531). I've been using it for a while including a pistol class. It keeps the light at enough of an angle that it doesn't interfere with the draw of the magazine. Not leather though.

I'll bring it on the 26th so you can check it out.

Vic303
02-07-11, 10:01
Comp-Tac makes some nice light holders and I think combo light/mag units.

Spiffums
02-07-11, 16:06
Ackers makes a leather mag/light pouch. Got it in one of the surplus catalogs....... Sportman's Guide or CTD or the like.

TomF
02-07-11, 17:48
I really like the Raven Eclipse modular accessory carrier for the G2. Click here (http://www.ravenconcealmentsystems.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_89_101&products_id=1531). I've been using it for a while including a pistol class. It keeps the light at enough of an angle that it doesn't interfere with the draw of the magazine. Not leather though.

I'll bring it on the 26th so you can check it out.

I'm clearly biased, but I like this combo as well. Lower profile than linking dedicated modular carriers together, and the angled offset of the G2 helps when retrieving the magazine. We have a lot of these in service with undercover guys/concealed carriers with great results.

Any specific questions on the RCS stuff, just ask.

Beachboy
02-07-11, 17:50
There are some valid points / concerns about the spare mag and flashlight being located next to each other.
However, I decided for my use that it made sense to have the versitility of a mag / light combo. I have two. One is a Galco which is leather with a paddle back, it's the COP Magazine / Flashlight Paddle with I use with a 6P and a double stack .40 S&W.
The other is a Mitch Rosen Express which is all leather, has 1 1/2" belt loops and mine is fitted for a single stack .40 and a 6P.

MookNW
02-08-11, 01:28
One is a Galco which is leather with a paddle back, it's the COP Magazine / Flashlight Paddle with I use with a 6P and a double stack .40 S&W.

That seems like a good setup as well B-Boy. I've no experience with any paddle style holsters/carriers though. Hows the attachment or retention of the Galco? Also, is the paddle typically attached around either side of the belt (paddle exposed) Or one side on the outside of the belt and the other on the inside of the pants (paddle concealed) Hope that makes sense. It seems that the rubber surface would be for gripping the inside of ones pants.
Glockwrx/Tom, is there a quick attach owb mount for the eclipse system? I hate lacing things all the way around the equator.

Beachboy
02-08-11, 05:34
Mook,

Here some pictures of both rigs. Note that they would normally be worn on the hip, but to have room, I placed them on the back of the jeans.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/AlabamaBeachboy/maglightpouches00233.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/AlabamaBeachboy/maglightpouches004.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/AlabamaBeachboy/maglightpouches00633.jpg

The paddle fits inside the pants and once you get the belt attached snug enough, it rides well.

The paddle is actually a hard plastic.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, let me know.

BB

MookNW
02-08-11, 09:42
One of the things that appeals to me about the raven is the lens down style light holder. If you're familiar with the g2's tailcap, do you think it would frequently be activated while in either of the holsters you showed me?

GlockWRX
02-08-11, 09:46
It hasn't in the year or so I've been carrying a G2 that way, including long drives in my truck.

Previous to the G2 I carried a Z2 and an M2 in a lens down configuration in various carriers. I never had an issue with 'premature illumination' in any of them.

MookNW
02-08-11, 09:54
Thanks gwrx, that's actually why I'm starting to fancy the raven style. The previous post was directed at b-boy regarding the galco . I'm more concerned about lighting up my armpit than the inside if the holster.

Beachboy
02-08-11, 17:13
Mook,

The Galco has a hole cut in the bottom of the flashlight pouch to prevent the switch from being activated, (see the first picture) even with my original 6P, which has a much larger button than the new model lights. While it would be possible to reach up through the bottom of the pouch and press the switch, but not by sitting down while wearing it.
And, yes, I have melted the top flap on a nylon carrier in the past because sitting in certain vehicles would press the switch with the nylon pouch on my duty belt :o

Vic303
02-08-11, 19:11
Personally, I prefer bezel down carry. Less manipulation of the light required after drawing it from the holster, the bezel is protected, and in the particular custom holster I have, there is a translucent disc in the bottom of the holster so I can activate the light in the holster with out drawing it out. This is handy when wandering around the house in the dark, to avoid kiddie caltrops, and still keep both hands free.

MookNW
02-08-11, 19:54
I was at my range today and in the shop they had a wall of bladetech stuff and got to check this out
http://www.blade-tech.com/Combo-Magazine-Pouch-w-Tek-Lok-pr-788.html#product_images
The glock mag version seemed to retain my m&p mags just fine as well as the g2 i carry in my range bag. I think the lens down is the way to go. The only model they had was with the "tec-lock" attachment system. After trying it on with mag and light, I feel that the light was a little close to the mag for my liking. And the tec-lock was less kind of a p.i.a. to use the first time. I don't think I'm ready to drop $55 for this one. It is not quite what I'm looking for. Blade tech offers this in a paddle version, which may work, but I need to get my hands on it before I drop the coin. I'm also holding out to check out the raven version that glockwrx mentioned.