PDA

View Full Version : Shipping 10rd Pistol Magazines to NY

Skyyr
02-06-11, 18:09
Hey guys,

I recently sold some 10rd pistol magazines via the EE. The buyer is in Delmar, NY. Knowing how fickled some of the NY gun laws I can be, I did my research and it appears, being 10-round magazines, they're good to go. Could anyone else chime in? Is there any shipping restrictions specific to NY? Do I need to do anything weird like declare them as pistol components or not ship them via USPS?

Sorry, just trying to do my homework and cover myself in the process. I've never shipped anything to a ban state before.

Thanks!

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-06-11, 19:21
Well I live in NY and I have bought many many mags on the internet and had them shipped to NY. 15, 20, 30 rounds and there have never been any restrictions. I just got another glock about 6 months ago and when I picked it up it came with 3 fifteen round mags. You can also buy they here at most gunshops.

I'm not a lawer but I think you cool.

Jake'sDad
02-06-11, 20:53
Well I live in NY and I have bought many many mags on the internet and had them shipped to NY. 15, 20, 30 rounds and there have never been any restrictions. I just got another glock about 6 months ago and when I picked it up it came with 3 fifteen round mags. You can also buy they here at most gunshops.

I'm not a lawer but I think you cool.

You sure about that?

New York Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device

It is a class D felony to manufacture, transport, dispose of, or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device, which N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00(23) defines as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device" manufactured after September 13, 1994, "that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition." Section 265.02.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

DMR
02-06-11, 21:35
10 rounds mags in all but the craziest local juristictions is OK. Pre-Bans are ok, but not all shops will be happy to see them show up in their shop, some will not let you take them out of the shop.

Were I'm at near Drum for the most part the local shops are not well versed in black rifles or the finer points of what is or is not Pre-Ban. When I bring in something odd the shops that I transfer at ask me if it's legal or not for the most part.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-06-11, 22:06
You sure about that?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

Just passing on what happens. All the stuff you mentioned can be bought and any gun shop in the state for the most part.

GermanSynergy
02-06-11, 22:45
Not judging you man, but I would definitely err on the side of caution in a state like NY. It would suck to lose one's gun rights for life for falling afoul of NY's perpetual AWB....

Just passing on what happens. All the stuff you mentioned can be bought and any gun shop in the state for the most part.

Skyyr
02-06-11, 22:49
Not judging you man, but I would definitely err on the side of caution in a state like NY. It would suck to lose one's gun rights for life for falling afoul of NY's perpetual AWB....

Even though your response isn't directed at me, this is exactly why I started this thread. I'd rather err on the side of being overly cautious than confidently stupid.

Jake'sDad
02-06-11, 23:20

You can buy Crack Cocaine on just about any downtown street corner too.

Alex V
02-07-11, 10:46
You can buy Crack Cocaine on just about any downtown street corner too.

exactly..

Just cause you can does not mean its legal. As I know pistol mags are limited to 10 rounds in NY. So the OP should be g2g

Jake'sDad
02-07-11, 11:56
exactly..

Just cause you can does not mean its legal. As I know pistol mags are limited to 10 rounds in NY. So the OP should be g2g

Right.

I was just responding to the hi cap stuff. If somebody wants to commit felonies that's up to them, but saying it's OK because "everybody does it" is bad advice.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-07-11, 15:49
I never ment to imply that the hi cap mags where ok in every situation or even legal so I hope no one got that impression. I was only implying that he was ok in shipping the 10 rounders to NY.

Im sorry if any of you thought I was trying to argue that it was legal for hi cap mags.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-07-11, 15:53
Right.

I was just responding to the hi cap stuff. If somebody wants to commit felonies that's up to them, but saying it's OK because "everybody does it" is bad advice.

Man your right I did kind of say that sorry guys. Just because everyone does it is bad advice for sure.