PDA

View Full Version : Loose gas block...

yhmspecter
02-06-11, 20:39
So I was extremely excited to get my Battlecomp 2.0 installed on my YHM Diamond spectre build, this build has been VERY VERY reilable for me, I have cycled 4k plus rounds through this build with 90% being steel case TULA.. No malfunctions at all... As far as cleaning it only saw a good cleaning twice, mostly just bore snake, bcg wipe down and a re-lube with Slip2000 EWL..

I get the Battlecomp 2.0 installed and head to my local indoor range to experiance the Battlecomp induced torrettes..The weapon cycled the first magazine without fail and I have a giant smile from the lack of Muzzle rise and continue to load the second pmag and it fired a string of 5 shots, followed by my first failure to cycle..racked the BCM Gunfighter and it failed to extract again, changed the mag and still wont cycle the next round..

So I left the range all disapointed went home and tore the rifle down did a full bore scrub cleaning, spent a good amount of time, my next day off from nazi camp (my job) I went to the range and still the same malfunction, came home went on this forum and serached and searched, decided to PM Robb Jensen and in waiting for him to respond I figured it had to be gas related so I striped the rifle down one last time and checked the gas rings on the bolt and there were fine, so pulled the rail off to find a gas block that i can move up and down on the barrel...

So my question is this how common is this????? Is checking the gas block something I should work into my maintance program???

Todd.K
02-06-11, 20:48
No, you should just work pinning the gas block into your building program.

Hmac
02-06-11, 21:15
:D

yhmspecter
02-06-11, 21:41
I bought the upper assembled lol... but good one, its bolted with allen screws....

ssracer
02-06-11, 21:49
is it a clamp on style or where the screws screw into the barrel?

yhmspecter
02-06-11, 21:52
Im not sure its the Yankee Hill low profile gasblock, It appers that they do set into a place on the barrel.

ssracer
02-06-11, 21:56
If they screw into the barrel, the barrel should be dimpled so they have a place to seat (I think that's what you are describing). I'd reposition the gas block where is should be, put some locktight on the screws and crank them down. That's what I did when I put my Vltor low pro block on.

Hmac
02-06-11, 22:07
I bought the upper assembled lol... but good one, its bolted with allen screws....

Barrel dimpled?...for both screws? Rocksetted?

Anyway, it's a good illustration (again) as to why gas blocks should always be pinned, bolted or not. ADCO will take care of that for you for $45...

Iraqgunz
02-06-11, 22:13
Get rid of the YHM crap and use a good gas block. Preferably one that will allow you to pin it. Or dimple the underside of the barrel and get one that has screws that will sink in the dimple. Make sure to apply some Rocksett.

Robb Jensen
02-06-11, 23:39
No, you should just work pinning the gas block into your building program.

Yep. This is why I ALWAYS recommend pinning an aftermarket gas block. Or shaving the FSB to fit under a rail. I've seen so many come lose it's insane.
I have yet to see a pinned or shaved FSB come lose. I've fixed probably 150 ARs with lose gas blocks.....

MistWolf
02-07-11, 02:37
Get rid of the YHM crap and use a good gas block. Preferably one that will allow you to pin it. Or dimple the underside of the barrel and get one that has screws that will sink in the dimple. Make sure to apply some Rocksett.

Betcha in addition to the above, staking would help

RAM Engineer
02-07-11, 07:23

Aww...Now he's going to have to change his user name.

yhmspecter
02-07-11, 08:59
Whats wrong with YHM??? And any suggestions as far as gas blocks that pin.I Have looked at troy, Vltor, JP, and Larue..All of which bolt..

Robb Jensen
02-07-11, 13:46
Whats wrong with YHM??? And any suggestions as far as gas blocks that pin.I Have looked at troy, Vltor, JP, and Larue..All of which bolt..

I've pinned Troy, VLTOR, JP, LaRue and some others. You have to mount the GB on the barrel then mill a flat spot in it and drill both the GB and bbl together at the same time. Helps to use a milling machine but I've used a drill press before too.

Iraqgunz
02-07-11, 15:09
Almost ever YHM item that I have used or seen, has been less than stellar in performance.

Hmac
02-07-11, 15:50

I like the VLTOR, fits nicely under most rails.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/f66e4039f6e9f26ae8c9751f1f4d816e.jpg

Yes, it has two holes on the bottom for set screws. And most, or at least some, barrels that you buy these days have one dimple drilled in them for the rear-most set screw. However, the common view of those set screws and that dimple is that it's a useful way to hold the gas block in place while the gunsmith drills it for the pin. Relying on those set screws, even with Rocksett, to forever hold the gas block in place will likely only lead to heartbreak and disappointment.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/4b5069bc14769ba3b782e75049d91974.jpg

ssracer
02-07-11, 16:13
that's the Vltor that I have. Think I'll look into getting that done. I've got a drill press, but don't wanna risk screwing that up.

yhmspecter
02-07-11, 22:31
Awesome thanks for everyones help, I am either going to get a Troy or Vltor gas block and have a gunsmith pin it for me..