PDA

View Full Version : Importance of quick scope detachment?

686+
02-07-11, 00:36
Question: How important is it to be able to quickly remove the sight if it fails, and be able to go to iron sights?

Reason: I have decided to scope my FAL PARA. I will mount a T-1 into the DSA scope cover, low enough so that I can see the sights through the optic. This is due to weight and wanting to retain the low cheek weld. If the red dot were to fail the irons then are readily available (on an aimpoint it should not be an issue, but...) The scope cover attaches to the reciever with screw/tab combo. The aimpoint would be attached with screws into the reciever. So to remove the sight will take some disassembly and time.

I want this gun to be my #1 long gun, and reliability, ease of "use" is paramount. I hope folks with experiance can weigh in provide some guidance.

Disclaimer, I am not an operator, contractor, nor do I play one on the internet.

686+

Thomas M-4
02-07-11, 00:55
For a rifle that will be used for HD or for a short durations under hard use IMHO none QD mount can suffice especially since you stated that you are going to cowitness it with your irons. For me personally I like to have quality QD mounts for the ease of use for instance I want to practice with just Irons or try different optics on a particler rifle its quick and easy to do in the field. One other thing is that quality QD mount tend to be better designed and built compared to cheaper none QD mounts.

militarymoron
02-07-11, 11:19
I will mount a T-1 into the DSA scope cover, low enough so that I can see the sights through the optic.

it looks like you have answered your own question. if you can see the iron sights through the optic, it doesn't have to be removed to use them, so the need for a QD mount is moot.

686+
02-08-11, 22:51
Battery/red dot failure is only one of many failure modes that could occur. If the glass shatters, gets obscured or even severly fogs over or ices, then both my optic and irons are out. That would be a big issue :eek:

Singlestack Wonder
02-09-11, 10:14
If the glass shatters, go ahead and break the other end too and you are good to go! Seriously, if this is a concern or if you are afraid of ice build up, get a QD mount.

sff70
02-09-11, 15:27
2 weeks ago took a carbine class. It rained nonstop and the range became muddy. That mud got on everthing, including optics lenses.

Wiping off the lenses stopped doing much good. It was like trying to see through a dirty car windshield when the wipers are worn out.

Made it hard to hit 50 yard targets.

At this point the smart move was to remove the optic and drive on.

BrigandTwoFour
02-09-11, 17:25
I would add, at least in my tinkering, QD mounts aren't exactly QD.

From my massive sample size of two (both ADM), having the correct amount of tension means that the levers are damn hard to get off by hand. The instructions say the correct tension is whatever the tension is at and you can still barely close it by hand. Once I have it at that point and locked on, the things don't open without me prying something under them.

So either I have really strong hands and have it too tight, or QD is really meant for doing things without tools. In a "combat" situation where your optic goes down, I wouldn't exactly count on being able to undo the latch and remove it in a jiffy.

But, like others have said, if this is for a red dot that you are going to cowitness, then no worries about using it even when the optic goes down.

Pax
02-09-11, 17:33
2 weeks ago took a carbine class. It rained nonstop and the range became muddy. That mud got on everthing, including optics lenses.

Wiping off the lenses stopped doing much good. It was like trying to see through a dirty car windshield when the wipers are worn out.

Made it hard to hit 50 yard targets.

At this point the smart move was to remove the optic and drive on.

Big +1 here. If you have the means, go QD. Recently snow has been a problem for me and trying to wipe it off with gloved fingers sucks. If youve torqued down your QD lever until its damned difficult to remove by hand, it's still going to be faster to rip out a knife or anything to pry with and get that lever released than to try and dig up the correct socket wrench, screwdriver, etc.