PDA

View Full Version : First M-4 Carbine build.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 12:56
I just got done building my very first M-4 ever. Man it was fun.

DTI upper reciever
DPMS lower
Magpul UBR stock
Magpul MIAD front and rear sights
Magpul MIAD pistol grip
Magpul MOE trigger guard
Troy Ind Ambi mag release
Troy Ind ladder covers
Daniel Defense Ambi safety
Knight's Armament QD Flash Suppressor Kit
Tango Down Foregrip - Vertical ITI
UTG Bipod
EoTech 553
Low Profile gas block

Please tell me what you think. Good or bad.

Militant83
02-07-11, 13:24
Not a bad build. Looks like it was somewhat of a budget build. I would have chose something else besides DPMS for the lower, but thats just my opinion. A longer rail would look better.

But as long as your happy with it thats all that matters. Build are a matter of personal preference.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 13:58
Didnt think that spending around $2200 was a "budget build." And can someone please tell me what is so wrong with DPMS lowers? I keep hearing that they are cheap but I didnt have a single problem with this build using it.

Militant83
02-07-11, 14:07
Wow man $2200..you could have done way better for that price point. You should have done some more research. If you search my build I have Just under $2000 in mine minus an optic.

You answered your own question DPMS lowers have a reputation you lacking in the quality department compared to others.

Its not about having a problem with the lower during the build. Where the quality lacks is its ability to last over time. If this is a safe queen that you will run a couple hundred rounds through it from time to time then you probably wont see the difference. But if it is something you are going to use in carbine classes and shoot high volumes of amm through then I would have went with a better quality lower. And its mainly the internals not the receiver itself that are bad.

jasonhgross
02-07-11, 14:14
Just my opinions: I would swap out the DPMS lower parts kit for a G&R, LMT or DD kit. Nothing wrong with the DPMS lower itself, just some of the internal parts could be suspect. The stock is too heavy for me and for the purpose the rifle looks like it was made for (no magnified optic). The bipod is useless to me since the magazine works as a good monopod. I feel like your rail is way too short considering you dont have a FSB. I would have gone with an 11 or 12" rail. Its almost as if you were trying to keep the weight down in some areas (like sights, grip) but then going with heavy parts in other areas like barrel, bipod, and stock. Makes no sense.

Iraqgunz
02-07-11, 15:24
By DTI, I assume you mean Delton. I am sorry to say that you really got hosed. Minus the Eotech it looks as if you spent approx. 1600.00 on that carbine. That's quite a bit considering you used DTI and DPMS.

Is the BCG also Delton?

In any case just run it until something happens. I recommend at least an H buffer because IIRC Delton is overgassed.

jasonhgross
02-07-11, 15:31
DTI = Delton?

Wow, yeah. What would I do? Sell it off and try again going with DD, BCM, Colt, or Noveske. Thats what I did four years ago (Bushmaster and DPMS in my case) and never looked back. You know the old cry once phrase...

Watrdawg
02-07-11, 16:10
I put together my first carbine about 7 months ago and paid less than $2200 and that includes the optic..

LMT complete lower/Geiselle SSA Trigger
UBR stock
BCM 14.5" Middie w/PWS556 Comp
Aimpoint T-1 w/DD mount
Troy Front & Rear BUIS
Troy VFG.

I had people at various gun shops try to sell me Delton lowers and thankfully I had been a member here and was able to do a lot of research before hand. Otherwise I probably would have fallen for their advice and bought one. I also thought RRA, DPMS and Bushmaster were quality AR's. I had never heard of BCM, Daniel Defense or Noveske. Of course I knew who COLT was and I cojnsidered the others to be in the same league. M4Carbine really opened my eyes to those fallacies. Saved me a ton of money also!!

J-Dub
02-07-11, 16:32
i'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with DPMS lowers, nothing. A lower is either in spec or not.

LAR makes DPMS lowers, and they make numerous other lowers for other companies. What goes IN the lower is different.

I have a DPMS lower with BCM upper....never had a problem, no fitment problems, everything works.

If you are going to save on an AR, the lower is the place to do it.

Iraqgunz
02-07-11, 16:38
I would generally agree with that. But, I would not use standard DPMS parts kits. The stripped lower would probably be Ok.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 18:03
Okay, I dont see how I "got hosed" by using Del-Ton. Please explain that one to me. The lower parts came from Del-Ton, not DPMS. Only the stripped lower came from DPMS. The bipod is only there to rest the rifle on when I set it down, not to do any real target shooting. And I did plenty of research on my parts and I even talked to guys in my unit (most of them are US Army 18 series MOS). This rifle took me about 6 months over all to build and that includes trying to find everything online while deployed and taking care of my wife and kids. This rifle will be used for fun, not classes or compitions.

Quiet-Matt
02-07-11, 18:25
Mopar, If I were to change anything, even on just a fun/range gun it would be to a 12 or 13" FF rail. You have the low pro gas block already, and it would give you more room to stretch out or lay it on a rest instead of having to use a cumbersome bi-pod.
How does it shoot?

Hmac
02-07-11, 18:35
LAR makes DPMS lowers, and they make numerous other lowers for other companies. What goes IN the lower is different.

No offense meant but that's a bogus argument. The fact that LAR makes both DPMS and Noveske lower receivers doesn't mean that the brands are equivalent as long as Noveske, with its higher quality control standards, is throwing away or returning more receivers than DPMS because they don't meet spec.

Yes, an in-spec receiver from DPMS will be as good as an in-spec receiver from Noveske, but your chances of actually getting one are far better with Noveske.

panzerr
02-07-11, 19:03
Okay, I dont see how I "got hosed" by using Del-Ton. Please explain that one to me. The lower parts came from Del-Ton, not DPMS. Only the stripped lower came from DPMS. The bipod is only there to rest the rifle on when I set it down, not to do any real target shooting. And I did plenty of research on my parts and I even talked to guys in my unit (most of them are US Army 18 series MOS). This rifle took me about 6 months over all to build and that includes trying to find everything online while deployed and taking care of my wife and kids. This rifle will be used for fun, not classes or compitions.

The guys in your unit did you no favors on this one. This is another example of how being in the military does not mean you know much anything about M4s other than where trigger is, regardless of rank or MOS. This is no dig on you, just a pet peeve of mine.

You paid too much for what you got, straight up. THAT is how you got hosed. I put together a Noveske (with T1 Aimpoint & SSA trigger) for $1800 this past year. Again, this is no dig on you, this is just a fact. Next time do more research than asking your bunk mates.

Find some schmuck that will talk big and never pull the trigger and sell this carbine to him, then head over to BCM or wait for Noveske to have one of their sweet blem deals and swoop in on it.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 19:45
If I had never come to this forum, I would never have know what a piece of shit I built. Next time I'll just come here and ask you guys, who seem to know everything about AR's, just how I should spend my money. About the only thing you guys havent bashed me on is the EoTech I put on the rifle. Oh, by the way, the only "bunk mate" I have is my wife (serving in the 82nd Airborne as a NCO) and she says to **** off. I will NOT sell this rifle, if you dont like it, cry to someone who cares. All I was trying to do is show off my new rifle, get a little advice, and talk about what I enjoy. So far, all I have heard is how crappy everything I've done is. Thanks for nothing.

panzerr
02-07-11, 19:48
If I had never come to this forum, I would never have know what a piece of shit I built. Next time I'll just come here and ask you guys, who seem to know everything about AR's, just how I should spend my money. About the only thing you guys havent bashed me on is the EoTech I put on the rifle. Oh, by the way, the only "bunk mate" I have is my wife (serving in the 82nd Airborne as a NCO) and she says to **** off. I will NOT sell this rifle, if you dont like it, cry to someone who cares. All I was trying to do is show off my new rifle, get a little advice, and talk about what I enjoy. So far, all I have heard is how crappy everything I've done is. Thanks for nothing.

Check your fire, and your attitude, Buck Sergeant. Nobody is attacking you.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 19:51
Check your fire, and your attitude, Buck Sergeant. Nobody is attacking you.

**** you meatpuppet. And unless your active duty, and out rank me, do not ever address me as Buck Sergeant.

panzerr
02-07-11, 19:54
**** you meatpuppet. And unless your active duty, and out rank me, do not ever address me as Buck Sergeant.

Buddy, there are plenty of people out there that have more insight and experience than you in this area. You should consider their input rather than tossing it aside and getting your panties in a bunch.

Reality check - this an internet forum. If you can't handle an internet forum you are in the wrong line of work.

Quiet-Matt
02-07-11, 19:55

We all get our feelings hurt here at first Mopar, but after we pick our lips up off the floor we find a wealth of knowledge from some really good guys who know their stuff. Stick around, you'll be glad you did.

panzerr
02-07-11, 19:59
We all get our feelings hurt here at first Mopar, but after we pick our lips up off the floor we find a wealth of knowledge from some really good guys who know their stuff. Stick around, you'll be glad you did.

Agreed. I've been butt hurt here before. But I put aside my attitude and learned from people I thought were attacking me -people who were in fact trying to enlighten me on a thing or two.

Mopar2005
Buddy, there are plenty of people out there that have more insight and experience than you in this area. You should consider their input rather than tossing it aside and getting your panties in a bunch.

Reality check - this an internet forum. If you can't handle an internet forum you are in the wrong line of work.

Hey Buddy, I know there are people out there with more insight and experience then me, that why I said I was here to get ideals and advice. And I can handle the internet, I just DONT WANT TO HANDLE assholes who think they know better then everyone.

dennisuello
You asked what people thought, "good or bad". You got exactly what you asked for. Don't get all worked up over it. If you wanted validation of your choices, this would not be the forum.

And thank you for your service, sir. Now, just go shoot the heck out of it, if you intend to keep it, and report the results.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 20:02

Thanks, but I dont think I'll be sticking around. I've only been with this forum for a few days and even my wife can't believe the crap people spew on here.

Militant83
02-07-11, 20:03

Well I think this thread has run its course. The OP comes here asking what people think about his build, doesnt hear what he wants to hear and gets butt hurt and resorts to being inmature and talking shit. You can take that attitude to some other forum.

Hmac
02-07-11, 20:06
Thanks, but I dont think I'll be sticking around. I've only been with this forum for a few days and even my wife can't believe the crap people spew on here.
Different internet forums have different standards. There are a few other forums you might try if you're looking for kudos on a DPMS or DelTon rifle. This isn't one of them.

JC0352
02-07-11, 20:45

^ Don't type this, then get all upset when people say what they think. Cool off and stick around; you'll soon find a lot of these guys know their stuff, and can back it up with facts.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 20:58
I think I have a right to be a little "butt hurt" when all I hear is bad things about the parts I have decided to use. I never built this rifle with the intent to win people over or shoot 1000 yards plus. I built it to have fun with it. Will I be shooting thousands of rounds with it? No, not why I built it. I built it so my family and I can have fun with it. I do have plans on building another rifle using better parts. I know that I did not buy the best parts on the planet, but I also wanted this rifle to be what I wanted, not what everyone else wanted it to be.

El Pistolero
02-07-11, 21:03
Why the KAC QD flash hider? I didn't see you mention suppressor use, maybe I missed something.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 21:07
Why the KAC QD flash hider? I didn't see you mention suppressor use, maybe I missed something.

A friend of mine had it and wanted to trade me something for it. I didnt pay for the item he wanted, so it was a fair trade.

El Pistolero
02-07-11, 21:11
A friend of mine had it and wanted to trade me something for it. I didnt pay for the item he wanted, so it was a fair trade.

Fair enough. Do you anticipate suppressor use in the future? I've been looking at getting a KAC NT4 suppressor myself when my overseas tour is done and hopefully living somewhere NFA-friendly. I like that KAC flash hider, looks pretty much like an A2 so form factor doesn't change.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 21:14
Fair enough. Do you anticipate suppressor use in the future? I've been looking at getting a KAC NT4 suppressor myself when my overseas tour is done and hopefully living somewhere NFA-friendly. I like that KAC flash hider, looks pretty much like an A2 so form factor doesn't change.

I dont think I will be buying a suppressor, even though I would like to. Something like that is out of my budget and the rules on those things are a little too crazy.

panzerr
02-07-11, 21:30
Hey Buddy, I know there are people out there with more insight and experience then me, that why I said I was here to get ideals and advice. And I can handle the internet, I just DONT WANT TO HANDLE assholes who think they know better then everyone.

You asked for criticism, you got it and acted like a woman who asks you "does this make me look fat?" WTF is that bipolar shit?

Really, wtf did you expect? Everyone to go gaa gaa over your carbine? When it boils down to it nobody ephing cares.

BTW, ditch that service rank crap on your profile. That's serious bad form and not the brightest thing to boot.

Mopar2005
02-07-11, 21:34
You asked for criticism, you got it and acted like a woman who asks you "does this make me look fat?" WTF is that bipolar shit?

Really, wtf did you expect? Everyone to go gaa gaa over your carbine? When it boils down to it nobody ephing cares.

BTW, ditch that service rank crap on your profile. That's serious bad form and not the brightest thing to boot.

Heres an ideal, go away.

panzerr
02-07-11, 21:37
Heres an ideal, go away.

Good "ideal". I think I will do that. Out.

The_Biased_Observer
02-07-11, 21:43
Suck it up, sell the barrel and bcg, refit with "good stuff" and you'll be fine. Probably.

Try a dd chf barrel and bcg....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
02-07-11, 21:54
To the OP. Sorry that you didn't hear what you wanted. I am not going to go into why your choice wasn't economically samrt. Instead I will let you look around and do some reading.

In the meantime this thread is history.