PDA

View Full Version : BCG Question

bobslife6826
02-07-11, 18:50
I just bought a Spike's Tactical Nickel Boron M16 BCG, and the bolt was very tight inside the carrier, after pulling on it I was able to get it to start moving back and forth, I then took it apart, put some oil on it and put it back together.

It's better than it was but still is tight; I was under the impression that the bolt should move freely inside the carrier with just a flick of the wrist............is that correct?

Is this normal; is it because it is brand new and has new gas rings; or should I contact Spike's.

Thanks for your help

rushca01
02-07-11, 18:54
You're good to go. Just lube it up and go shoot your gun.

The three little gas rings are similar to the gas rings that go on a piston for a car engine. They need to be snug in order for it to work, when they become warn you will start having problems.

Evil Bert
02-07-11, 18:54
Did you buy only the carrier and not the bolt? In other words, is the bolt "used?" If you did not buy them together, then it could be just a break in issue. Parts like these were together during use. So they end up fitting with each other in a special way (get your mind out of the gutter) as the round count increases. If they are both new, should not be an issue. Lube well and run a few hundred rounds through it. Clean and it should be GTG.

Cincinnatus
02-07-11, 18:57
No, you should not be able to have it move freely with a snap of the wrist. The test for whether your gas rings are good or not is to extend the bolt and set the bcg on its face, bolt down, if the weight of the carrier collapses the bolt, the rings are bad--so in other words, it's supposed to be tight in the carrier.

bobslife6826
02-07-11, 19:01
Did you buy only the carrier and not the bolt? In other words, is the bolt "used?" If you did not buy them together, then it could be just a break in issue. Parts like these were together during use. So they end up fitting with each other in a special way (get your mind out of the gutter) as the round count increases. If they are both new, should not be an issue. Lube well and run a few hundred rounds through it. Clean and it should be GTG.

Yes, I bought the bolt and carrier together new from spike's (BCG)

bobslife6826
02-07-11, 19:06
No, you should not be able to have it move freely with a snap of the wrist. The test for whether your gas rings are good or not is to extend the bolt and set the bcg on its face, bolt down, if the weight of the carrier collapses the bolt, the rings are bad--so in other words, it's supposed to be tight in the carrier.

So you think I should be good to go then; sounds normal to you.

mini4m3
02-08-11, 01:48
You're good to go, just keep your BCG properly lubricated and you'll be fine.