PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing rail for Colt 6920

randyha
02-07-11, 20:15
I want a rail that extends beyond the FSB mostly because I find myself wanting to hold the rifle extended-arm style out near/beyond the FSB. I am a little confused between the AR15 Lite Rail™ 12.0 FSP, Carbine, the Omega X Rail™ 12.0 FSP, Carbine, and the M4 Rail™ 12.0 FSP, Carbine. What are the distinguishing factors to decide between these (I think these would be all the choices)? Thank You.

Impulse
02-08-11, 18:08
1st off keep in mind the AR 15 Lite rail is one piece. Depending on your skill level of taking apart and putting together your AR would depend on this rail.

The M4 rail will leave a gap at the Delta assembly. If your looking for a continuous rail this is not for you.

The Omega X rail is a two piece design that will come with the barrel nut needed and will not need to remove the FSB. This will give you the continuous rail from rear to front sight. The Omega X rail also comes with a QD point integrated in the rail on both sides. This rail is a slim design that is very light.

I would go with the Omega X!!!!

randyha
02-08-11, 18:29
1st off keep in mind the the Omega X rail is a two piece design that will come with the barrel nut needed and will not need to remove the FSB. This will give you the continuous rail from rear to front sight. The Omega X rail also comes with a QD point integrated in the rail on both sides. This rail is a slim design that is very light.

I would go with the Omega X!!!!

Can a non-gunsmith regular guy install the Omega X? Sounds like this is the one I'm looking for.

Thanks!

diving dave
02-08-11, 19:34
+1 for the Omega. Have it on my duty carbine and it has been rock solid.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5429828416_5bd3e7a591_z.jpg

Impulse
02-09-11, 10:03
If you currently have a Delta assembly it will need to be removed and replaced with the barrel nut that is provided with the rail. Once the barrel is secured. It's a matter of 4 set screws being tightend like a car tire. Top left, then bottom right, etc...Odd sides. Once hand tight give them another 1/8 turn.

sammage
02-09-11, 10:12
The DD Omega rail needs no modifications done to the weapon to install. FSB, barrel nut, etc stay in place. The Omega X needs the barrel nut replaced, and all that entails.

hopeitsfast
02-09-11, 10:15
1st off keep in mind the AR 15 Lite rail is one piece. Depending on your skill level of taking apart and putting together your AR would depend on this rail.

The M4 rail will leave a gap at the Delta assembly. If your looking for a continuous rail this is not for you.

The Omega X rail is a two piece design that will come with the barrel nut needed and will not need to remove the FSB. This will give you the continuous rail from rear to front sight. The Omega X rail also comes with a QD point integrated in the rail on both sides. This rail is a slim design that is very light.

I would go with the Omega X!!!!The Omega X 12.0 FSB, does require taking off the FSB. It extends the rail past the FSB on a carbine system. Top notch rail IMO, but just wanted to make sure the OP knew the FSB would have to be removed to install this version of the OmegaX.

hopeitsfast
02-09-11, 10:22
Can a non-gunsmith regular guy install the Omega X? Sounds like this is the one I'm looking for.

Thanks! If you're talking about the 12.0 FSB version, you will need to remove the FSB and the barrel nut to install. You should also have the DD wrench to install the new rail. If you can do that, you can install this rail.

I had someone else do mine, and after watching him do it, it was a simple process that i should of just done myself. Oh well, maybe on the next one.

obucina
02-09-11, 10:39
I also have the 12in Omega X. I dont have all of the tools necessary to install it myself, so I had a gunsmith do the install. He charged me $60.

on a side note, I scored my rail on midway for $199 and the wrench for $19.

Shawn.L
02-09-11, 11:39
I have the Omega X Rail™ 12.0 FSP

Its solid, light, and does what I need it to do well (hold a light in front of the FSB). Ive owned it about a year, taken one 3 day class with it, and limited (maybe 200 rounds a month) in range time and its performed just fine in that setting. I really like the slim oval profile. I had some issue over the summer with the rail heating up (was shooting more, maybe 300+ round sessions in the hot sun) and put XTM's on it and it totally ****ed up that good slim grabable shape. It wears ladder covers now.

Not hard to install if you know how to assemble an upper.

Impulse
02-09-11, 19:27
In order for the barrel nut to slide on you will have to remove the front sight base. After this one time you will be able to remove and assemble as many times as you like.
Call DD and buy direct and they'll set you up for a sending in your upper receiver and will install it for you at no cost.
912-851-3258

randyha
02-09-11, 19:45
Thanks! I appreciate the advice.