PDA

View Full Version : range report on the new tac-sol TSG-22 glock conversion

bigghoss
02-07-11, 20:44
Went out today to shoot my new .22 kit. As you'll see in the video I had problems with cycling with the low-end ammo and as I progressed into the better stuff it worked better but then I developed feeding issues, possibly a result of the kit being new with tight tolerances and it beginning to foul but I only fired about 200 rounds so I'm not convinced that fouling is much of a factor. The weather wasn't great or I would have stayed longer to try and diagnose the trouble. when I got home to clean it I tried working the extractor a bit and I noticed the movement was stiff and gritty. this may have prevented the case rim from slipping under it and contributed to some of the issues I was having. I may grab some rubbing compound and polish it and other critical areas if I'm still having a lot of problems next time out. If you're thinking about getting one of these you might want to wait a few months and see if they get the bugs worked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMKvGY-nag

part 1 of my follow-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uER1ZAh0AuY

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfCT9LPGOog

SeriousStudent
02-07-11, 21:32
Interesting.

I watched the video, it appeared that your kit had a definite preference for the higher-velocity CCI Stingers.

I've been wanting to purchase one of these kits, since they offer a pre-threaded barrel, and the ability to drop in a pair of Warren Tactical sights, like my carry pistols.

Please let us know how the kit fairs on your future trips. I'll be interested in seeing how it does with the Federal bulk-pack next time. I have about 16K rounds of it stashed, just for .22 trainers like this.

Thanks for the video as well! :)

Dobie
02-07-11, 21:45
Wow that was frustrating just to watch all those malfunctions. I am in the market for a 22 conversion for my G26 and thinking about the AA kit. Keep us posted on your progress.

bigghoss
02-07-11, 21:49
I will say that cycling the .22 slide by hand the action feels rough. it takes about 500 rounds to break in they claim and it sure feels like it'll need it. another thing I forgot to mention, though it should be apparent in the video I'm not a crack shot the kit does seem to be plenty accurate. I was more worried about checking the function of the kit this go round but down the road I might test it from a rest to get a better idea of the accuracy.

bigghoss
02-07-11, 22:16
Wow that was frustrating just to watch all those malfunctions. I am in the market for a 22 conversion for my G26 and thinking about the AA kit. Keep us posted on your progress.

well right now I think the AA is your only option. according to a poll on their website tac-sol is considering a kit for the 26 but the poll results look like it'll come after the 19 and then the 21

TAZ
02-08-11, 10:24
I get the same type of results using the federal bulk packs with my AA kit. Not quite as frequent on the failures as you were getting, but I probably have a couple of thousand rounds of the recommended ammo though mine already. Fortunately it looks like the recommended ammo works adequate though so there is hope yet.

Over the past year I have come to the conclusion that there is a definite reason for these conversion kit manufacturers recommending certain types of ammo. Not sure what TacSol recommends, but in the case of AA they have Remington Golden Bullets on the list which can be found in bulk easy. Hope that TacSol has an equally easy to source recommendation as well.

bigghoss
02-08-11, 16:39
hey guys I went back out to the range and shot some more. I have more video but the jist of it is, CCI feeds fine but is harder to set off. the automatch doesn't feed as well from the top of the mag but that seems to be more related to spring pressure in the mag than the ammo. I did not see any light-stike issues with the other ammo except peters. most others just sucked. the kit ran so much better when I got up around 500-600 rounds through it. all issues has reduced dramatically but still exist. I'm going to load the mag to capacity and let it sit for a week and see if that helps with the spring issue and I'll have to cal tac-sol and get them to send me the updated spring cups. I was out at the range for maybe 3 hours and recorded a lot of footage so it'll take a while to get it uploaded. I'm busy this whole week so it might not happen until sunday or monday and it will probably be in 3-4 parts.

I'm very confident I'll get the issues worked out and have a kit that runs almost as good as the normal glock does.

varoadking
02-08-11, 17:03
Sorry, dood...that looked painful...

Sux that the magazine is not flush fitting. That alone is a deal killer, as far as I'm concerned.

bigghoss
02-08-11, 18:21
Sorry, dood...that looked painful...

Sux that the magazine is not flush fitting. That alone is a deal killer, as far as I'm concerned.

why is the mag poking out a deal breaker?

one
02-08-11, 18:38
I'm sorry you didn't get 100% out of the box. But I do thank you for taking the time to provide the review and vid. A friend and I were very interested in these kits and I'm pretty sure we'll pass at this time.

bigghoss
02-08-11, 18:49
I'm sorry you didn't get 100% out of the box. But I do thank you for taking the time to provide the review and vid. A friend and I were very interested in these kits and I'm pretty sure we'll pass at this time.

well I'm working on uploading the next vid right now. the kit is defiantly smoothing out and working a lot better then in the vid I have up right now. I don't think it will be very long before tac-sol figures out the problems and ships kits that work better from the start.

Rotor Talker
02-09-11, 07:08
I really liked these at the NRA show last year in Charlotte, called when I got home and ordered a threaded version, was supposed to receive in November, it came around, they told me end of March, sounds like maybe a good thing.

Will see what delay date is now.

Appreciate your taking the time to test, video and post.

Bob

bigghoss
02-09-11, 18:13
still working on the videos, I'm busier than normal this week but it's nearly done. went shooting again(no video this time) and the kit is probably running 80-85% maybe a bit better. haven't ordered the new spring cups yet so I'm still getting light strikes and failures with resetting the trigger and also some feeding issues that's I'm nearly positive are a result of the mag spring being just a bit too stiff because I only notice them within about the first 5 round or the mag. I have been able to run through an entire mag without any trouble several times and it's a lot of fun when it works. CCI seems to be giving me the best luck and I don't see any difference in reliability between the 40grn RN like the manual recommends or the 36grn HPs. hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to cal tac-sol and explain the issues so they can help me get it running good and so they can address the problems on future generations.

this is the third day in a row I've had to drag my self to the range to go shooting. I hope you guys appreciate all I'm doing for you:D

david.scruggs@sbcglobal.n
02-10-11, 20:49
My first trip to the range yielded similar results. Lots of FTF, FTE, light strikes, etc. I went through 200 rounds of CCI minimags without improvement and was getting discouraged. I stripped the unit and lubricated it generously (more generous than the operating instructions called for) and it then ran 99/100 just fine on my last box of ammo. I think it needs to "run wet" until broken in.

I was impressed with the accuracy. Dinging those 8" steel plates at 40 yards, no problem.

bigghoss
02-10-11, 21:56
I emailed a rep at tac-sol and they will be sending me a whole new firing pin assembly so that should take care of the light strikes. they said if I wanted to send the mag in they would replace it with a brand new one free but I decided to load it to capacity and see if it would set and resolve the spring pressure issue.

scootle
02-11-11, 01:01
I wish rimfire conversions weren't so flaky/picky. Shooting it looks fun when it works, but man, it sure looked frustrating for you running all those tests with different ammo and still having failures. :(

I'll stick to my Ruger Mk III for the .22 action. :D

bigghoss
02-11-11, 14:39
I wish rimfire conversions weren't so flaky/picky. Shooting it looks fun when it works, but man, it sure looked frustrating for you running all those tests with different ammo and still having failures. :(

I'll stick to my Ruger Mk III for the .22 action. :D

ya know despite the failures I still had fun doing it because your worst day shooting is still better than the best day at work. also I had a good idea going into it what to expect as well as knowing tac-sol's rep and that they would make everything right in the end so I wasn't as disappointed or frustrated as I might have been otherwise.

opmike
02-11-11, 15:32
This thing has some serious issues. Having an unfired round stovepipe isn't something you see everyday...

I think the whole kit needs to be sent back, as things like rounds popping out of magazines isn't a break-in issue.

Rotor Talker
02-23-11, 15:44
I emailed Tac-Sol again today, to see where I am on the delivery list, found out I'm pushed back til maybe sometime in April or May, after being pushed back twice before.

Between that and these range reports, I canceled my order, can use $450.00 plus on ammo.

bigghoss
02-24-11, 12:43
I got the new updated firing pin assembly from tac-sol so I'll give it a try hopefully saturday or sunday

fourXfour
02-24-11, 13:13
I pre-ordered one after the 2010 Shot Show. My credit card has since expired. I'm not too impressed with what I'm hearing, I may cancel if they call for an updated credit card.

DOA
03-14-11, 00:13
I am on the wait list as well and was politely told it would be June or so.... :( Hopefully mine will have the newer spring cups and maybe the bugs worked out.

bigghoss
03-14-11, 12:52
I got the new firing pin assembly with the different spring cups. didn't help any so I sent the whole kit back to tac-sol to let them figure it out.

one
03-14-11, 18:58
Again, thanks for updating us. It's just more confirmation for me to let this one go. Hopefully they can get your squared away and figured out.

SeriousStudent
03-14-11, 19:14
Bigghoss, thank you for keeping us updated. I'm sorry the kit did not work out for you. I was really hoping it would, given the scarcity of AA kits.

bigghoss
04-27-11, 23:02
hey guys. got an update. sent the kit back to the factory and a week later it came back and now it works. don't have any vids but I've had it out several times and the kit hasn't given me any trouble with the recommended ammo and ok with remington thunderbolt.