PDA

View Full Version : A few of my WWII stuff

bc.45
09-04-07, 15:05
Two Winchesters, a Colt and an Ithaca.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL524/636041/1021439/34599711.jpg

Hawgleg44
09-19-07, 08:55
Very nice. My uncle has an unfired USGI Ithaca 1911 that I've been trying to pry from his hands for years, but still no luck.

Here's the first Carbine I ever got. It's a non-import Quality Hardware that saw it's last service in the very early days of Vietnam.

http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/Quality%20Hardware%20Carbine%20and%20mags.jpg

bc.45
09-19-07, 09:48
That is a nice one! I assume you have fired it, maybe all those mags?

I collect the old .45s but had to have one Garand and carbine. Those are what I cut my teeth on. I had a carbine and .45 in Korea. Don't have any idea who made them.

When I got the Carbine home and took it apart and discovered all the metal was Winchester except the up grades of rear site, safety, mag release and the boyo lug that we didn't have in Korea.

The Garand was rebuilt in 1965 at the Letter Kenny Arsenal......a mixed parts gun.

The Ithaca came from the Estate of a retired Lt. Col. Air Force. He was a Glider pilot out of the Lubbock Texas Army Air Corp. Glider School. The gun was manufactured in 1943 as was the Sears Leather Co. holster. I got his graduation photo from the school, and two large advanced training photos from a base in North Carolina. Eventually I found a first cousin and she photo'd his headstone and sent copies to me. With his serial number I learned the gliders participated in the Pacific Theater.

Enjoy your carbine....their fun toshoot!

Hawgleg44
09-19-07, 11:41
I've shot this carbine at least a few thousand rounds, mostly my cast bullet reloads with as checks. Some jacketed bullets, too, when I get them cheap enough.

I had one other Blue Sky import Saginaw, too, but I traded it for an FAL earlier this year. Now, I have a complete parts kit, minus a receiver, to build another one. I need to pick up a receiver from SOG and build that one before they are sold out.

I was willed mine from the vet who brought it back. He was in Vietnam in the very early days and it was his personal weapon. It has all the old original features to it. Round bolt, M1 mag catch, flip rear sight, no bayonet lug, etc. The stock shown in the pic is a replacement I use when I go shooting. I still have an original non-potbelly stock with all the military stampings on it, but I don't want to put any dings in it. I wish I knew the complete history of it.

Since Quality Hardware made nothing but receivers, the other parts on it may or may not be correct. The barrel is an Underwood dated 9/43.