PDA

View Full Version : Back-up sight opinion

christcorp
02-08-11, 12:25
Generally speaking, I don't put much as much importance on iron sights as I do optics. And even then, I have my own prejudices with glass optics. But I do recognize the need for back-up iron sights in case of damage to the optics. Including a dead battery. (I use red-dot type optics). So basically; as long as the iron sight is metal, sturdy, and stays zero'd; I don't mind if it's a $30 ($60 pair) UTG sights. "Which I've had great success with". But here's my question.

I was ordering from Spikes Tactical, to get their ST-T2 buffer. Well, they charge quite a bit for shipping/handling. ($14.95). But I realized that it's the same price for S/H until I hit a certain weight limit. So I figured I'd look around their sight to see if I could find something else I would like. (Basically it becomes free shipping on the rest of the items). Anyway; in their "Clearance" section, they had YHM-9627 Yankee Hill Forearm Front flip sight. Normal price is around $85-$90. They had it on clearance for $50. And being I am already paying the S/H on the Buffer, I figured it was a good deal.

So that is the question. I've heard of Yankee Hill. I've never used them. Are they a decent sight, and is $50 (Shipping included) a decent price? Or, should I think about selling it when I get it. I won't spend $100+ on iron sights. Not even Troy. I don't consider iron sights sophisticated enough to warrant more than $100 for them. But again, that's my opinion. And I never would have done the Yankee Hill for the $90 normal (+S/H). However; when I looked at the $30 front sight I was perfectly happy ordering, but another $7 for S/H. I figured that for $13 more, the Yankee Hill would be better. Sort of like only NEEDING a Ford Focus for $15,000; a Mercedes is MORE than I need. BUT, if the Mercedes is on sale for $18,000 instead of $40,000; it makes sense to get the Mercedes. So, was $50 a decent price, for the quality of the Yankee?

And now, I guess I need to find a rear sight. They didn't have those on clearance. And apparently, others like the Yankee, because an hour after I ordered the Yankee Hill Forearm Front flip sight, it was no longer available in their clearance section or their normal Sights section. But I did get an order confirmation, and it shipped yesterday, so I assume I will get it. Anyway; any opinions would be appreciated. thanks. mike..

MeanRider
02-08-11, 12:47
They should work for what you want, but I think you got a Focus at a Focus price instead of bying it at a Mercedes price and for that it is worth trying.

Iraqgunz
02-08-11, 14:14
We had YHM sights on our Bushies in Iraq and they were the worst piece of shit known to mankind.

Personally I think that you should be purchasing good sights. They are important as well.

Generally speaking, I don't put much as much importance on iron sights as I do optics. And even then, I have my own prejudices with glass optics. But I do recognize the need for back-up iron sights in case of damage to the optics. Including a dead battery. (I use red-dot type optics). So basically; as long as the iron sight is metal, sturdy, and stays zero'd; I don't mind if it's a $30 ($60 pair) UTG sights. "Which I've had great success with". But here's my question.

I was ordering from Spikes Tactical, to get their ST-T2 buffer. Well, they charge quite a bit for shipping/handling. ($14.95). But I realized that it's the same price for S/H until I hit a certain weight limit. So I figured I'd look around their sight to see if I could find something else I would like. (Basically it becomes free shipping on the rest of the items). Anyway; in their "Clearance" section, they had YHM-9627 Yankee Hill Forearm Front flip sight. Normal price is around $85-$90. They had it on clearance for $50. And being I am already paying the S/H on the Buffer, I figured it was a good deal.

So that is the question. I've heard of Yankee Hill. I've never used them. Are they a decent sight, and is $50 (Shipping included) a decent price? Or, should I think about selling it when I get it. I won't spend $100+ on iron sights. Not even Troy. I don't consider iron sights sophisticated enough to warrant more than $100 for them. But again, that's my opinion. And I never would have done the Yankee Hill for the $90 normal (+S/H). However; when I looked at the $30 front sight I was perfectly happy ordering, but another $7 for S/H. I figured that for $13 more, the Yankee Hill would be better. Sort of like only NEEDING a Ford Focus for $15,000; a Mercedes is MORE than I need. BUT, if the Mercedes is on sale for $18,000 instead of $40,000; it makes sense to get the Mercedes. So, was $50 a decent price, for the quality of the Yankee?

And now, I guess I need to find a rear sight. They didn't have those on clearance. And apparently, others like the Yankee, because an hour after I ordered the Yankee Hill Forearm Front flip sight, it was no longer available in their clearance section or their normal Sights section. But I did get an order confirmation, and it shipped yesterday, so I assume I will get it. Anyway; any opinions would be appreciated. thanks. mike..

Militant83
02-08-11, 14:39
If you want a low cost BUIS look at the magpul MBUS or the DD BUIS...

christcorp
02-08-11, 14:54
I was seeing the Yankee hill front sight going for about $90. So I figured $50, shipping included, wasn't bad. Sorry to hear that Yankee Hill isn't considered a decent sight. I won't go for Magpul because I am using a gas block mount, and I'd rather it didn't melt. I'm definitely not going to spend $120 for a Troy front folding sight. Like I said, back up sights aren't that important to me. Not for that kind of money. They are only there if extremely low light, or the battery goes out on the red-dot. (Or the red-dot flat out breaks).

Iraqgunz: You said you had issues with them on your M-16's. When I was in the desert, I used stock A1 type M-16 sights. No problems. I've also grown up with iron sights on garands, winchesters, marlins, and a number of other guns. My thing about iron sights; especially backups which I'll rarely use; is: Are they firm or do they loosen up? Does the front pin loosen up and lose aim/sight? So what was it about the Yankee Hill sights that you didn't like? What should I be looking at as a potential issue. Could you not see/focus on it? It's a mechanical sight. There's only so much that can go wrong with it. It's not like glass optics. Anyway; I'd like to know your experience. Thanks. mike.

Iraqgunz
02-08-11, 15:00
I was a contractor and we used Bushmaster M4geries. They had YHM front sights (over the cut down FSB) and the rear sight. Both were made from aluminum and they were prone to easy breakage and they cost us a ton to replace.

If you banged the front sight against something it would shift, if you hit the rear sight it would damage them.

I was using Magpul sights on my SBR and they were more than adequate. I only replaced them because I ended up with an extra set of Troy sights.

I was seeing the Yankee hill front sight going for about $90. So I figured $50, shipping included, wasn't bad. Sorry to hear that Yankee Hill isn't considered a decent sight. I won't go for Magpul because I am using a gas block mount, and I'd rather it didn't melt. I'm definitely not going to spend $120 for a Troy front folding sight. Like I said, back up sights aren't that important to me. Not for that kind of money. They are only there if extremely low light, or the battery goes out on the red-dot. (Or the red-dot flat out breaks).

Iraqgunz: You said you had issues with them on your M-16's. When I was in the desert, I used stock A1 type M-16 sights. No problems. I've also grown up with iron sights on garands, winchesters, marlins, and a number of other guns. My thing about iron sights; especially backups which I'll rarely use; is: Are they firm or do they loosen up? Does the front pin loosen up and lose aim/sight? So what was it about the Yankee Hill sights that you didn't like? What should I be looking at as a potential issue. Could you not see/focus on it? It's a mechanical sight. There's only so much that can go wrong with it. It's not like glass optics. Anyway; I'd like to know your experience. Thanks. mike.

dravz
02-08-11, 15:01
Good info. Thanks, IG.

christcorp
02-08-11, 15:22
Yes; good info. Thanks. Hope you don't mind me expanding a little. You mentioned that if you bumped the front sight, that it would shift. With mine going to be mounted on a rail, do you think this is still a possible issue?

I don't have a rear sight yet, so i don't know what I'll choose. It's not going to be a $120 Troy. That much I know. And I won't buy a Yankee at NORMAL prices either. I might consider a magpul, ONLY because it's a rear sight, and isn't exposed to the heat of a gas-block rail mounted sight. (That's why I wouldn't consider a Magpul for the front.)

I spent 21 years in the military, and I doubt that I will ever put my civilian weapons through the abuse I put my military rifles through. But accidentally banking the front sight is definitely a possibility. The rear is less likely because of the optics and my body in the way of the rear sight. Hopefully having the Yankee Hill mounted on a gas block rail mount, will be adequate for realistic uses. I don't plan for any uses with the rifle that are similar to what I used it for in the military. So hopefully the shortcomings of the Yankee Hill front sight are things that aren't as likely in the civilian world.

Iraqgunz
02-10-11, 01:56
The way the YHM sights were designed they did not sit flush on the cut down FSB. They essentially clamshelled (the sight on top and a semi circular piece on the bottom) that was held together by four screws. You had to tighten them down just right so the sight would be straight.

Rail mounted sights are fine. My SBR is currently using Troy front and rear sights. Any good sight will lock down on the there correctly.

Believe it or not, the Magpul sights I was using were pretty good and since they fold down if they get hit, they aren't going to damage easily.

Yes; good info. Thanks. Hope you don't mind me expanding a little. You mentioned that if you bumped the front sight, that it would shift. With mine going to be mounted on a rail, do you think this is still a possible issue?

I don't have a rear sight yet, so i don't know what I'll choose. It's not going to be a $120 Troy. That much I know. And I won't buy a Yankee at NORMAL prices either. I might consider a magpul, ONLY because it's a rear sight, and isn't exposed to the heat of a gas-block rail mounted sight. (That's why I wouldn't consider a Magpul for the front.)

I spent 21 years in the military, and I doubt that I will ever put my civilian weapons through the abuse I put my military rifles through. But accidentally banking the front sight is definitely a possibility. The rear is less likely because of the optics and my body in the way of the rear sight. Hopefully having the Yankee Hill mounted on a gas block rail mount, will be adequate for realistic uses. I don't plan for any uses with the rifle that are similar to what I used it for in the military. So hopefully the shortcomings of the Yankee Hill front sight are things that aren't as likely in the civilian world.

christcorp
02-10-11, 08:37
Definitely thanks for the info. So I should be good with the YHM front sight, being it's mounted on a rail. I'll keep the magpul in mind when I look at getting the rear sight. Wasn't really in the market for needing sights right now, but being I had to pay for shipping on another item, and this was on sale, it wasn't costing any more for shipping. Thanks for the info. Mike....

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 05:08
I had a set of YHM all steel sights a couple of years back and they actually worked really well. They locked up solid and zeroed without problems.

Definitely thanks for the info. So I should be good with the YHM front sight, being it's mounted on a rail. I'll keep the magpul in mind when I look at getting the rear sight. Wasn't really in the market for needing sights right now, but being I had to pay for shipping on another item, and this was on sale, it wasn't costing any more for shipping. Thanks for the info. Mike....