PDA

View Full Version : Troy TRX Extreme: 11" vs 13"?

SpookyPistolero
02-08-11, 15:42
Howdy folks-

I've got a really great opportunity to build my ideal lightweight rig using top-notch components. All I'll lack is a good fore end. I very much want a tube and am leaning towards the Troy TRX Extreme.

This rifle will be almost all DD, with a lightweight 16" barrel. This will be my 'one and only' rifle. It's for self/home defense, and any & all training. Not used for hunting, not for 1000 yard target practice, not for zombies.

Do you folks feel I'd be better served by an 11" or 13" tube? I'm about 6'4" and have a pretty good reach, so getting that 'rapier' grip might require extra length, I figure. But I don't want to have wasted space either, nor do I want to needlessly screw up the balance.

Lastly, would the installation of the tube be something I can trust to any local 'smith? I haven't used any to call one reliable, necessarily.

Thanks for any thoughts! The search function is on the fritz, and google search didn't turn up any duplicated past threads on this subject.

Leonidas24
02-08-11, 16:15
I'm 6'1" and find 10" to be too little for my long gangly arms. I'd go with the 13". That's only my experience talking.

swsmailman
02-08-11, 18:30
I am 6'3 and after shooting some of my friends ARs with smaller hand guards and not liking the way they felt. I decided to order a 13" TRX to put on my BCM upper that I ordered on Monday. Going to have my gunsmith put it on along with a Troy Low Profile GB when ever the upper comes in.

Can't Wait.

Quiet-Matt
02-08-11, 18:36
I'm 5'11" and the 13" is perfect for me. I doubt that the 2 extra inches will throw off the balance, it's a light rail. Those 2 extra inches will give you a longer sight radius as well.

NongShim
02-08-11, 18:55
I'm 5'10". I only use the 13" TRXs. I reach all the way out. If anyone is wondering, I don't feel over extended by reaching out that far, at all.

I'm skeptical of pretty much all "local smiths". It has been my experience (through watching friends' and acquaintances' follies) that "local smiths" usually go full retard on things they don't know about. Usually that's a pretty wide range of topics/parts/guns. Unless you have seen first hand that he knows his way around ARs and their many options, I'd learn how to do it yourself. Building an AR upper is easier than changing the oil on a Jeep, and faster. I've seen numerous quality parts get ruined or nearly ruined due to the local guy going full retard.

Search the web. Even though no one wants to admit it, most people got their start on AR15.COM!!!! Lots of people are still probably members there. I'll admit it, years ago, I used to be on there all the time. Let's just get it out in the open. "BARFCOM/TOS" as everyone likes to call it on the other forums as they pretend to be too cool for it, has some good info. There are "HOW TO DIY" threads that show you step by step how to build an AR. AR15.com is the not-so-hot-girl you lost your V-card to, and are now ashamed to acknowledge in public, even though deep down you appreciate that she helped you through the most awkward moments of your life.

If you still need help, PM me and I'll try to help you through it. TRX tubes are very easy to install, especially if you already have a tiny gas block and don't have to make one.

nrose8989
02-08-11, 19:00
I'm gonna throw a wrench in your spokes....

It depends on how aggressive you run your arm out on the forearm.

I'm 6'2 and currently using a 12" VIS. I find that I don't even need 12" of rail space/gripping area. 9" to 11" would work just fine for me. Then again, I don't completely straighten my arms out to the point that my offhand arm is hyperextending.

Your stance, LOP, and technique are all going to dictate how much gripping area you need.

NongShim
02-08-11, 19:23
I'm gonna throw a wrench in your spokes....

It depends on how aggressive you run your arm out on the forearm.

Yes. Absolutely.

I think everyone is responding based on the idea that he wants to grab out as far as possible. At least that was the impression I got from the question.

SpookyPistolero
02-08-11, 19:24
Thanks guys. Sounds like few have gone with 13" and regretted it. I like a long grip, too. I'll go with that.

I'll snoop around the web to see how involved the installation is. I built my first AR and have a few basic tools laying around, this might be doable.

NongShim
02-08-11, 21:19
It's totally feasible. The TRX even comes with a barrel wrench that you can attach to a torque wrench.

ssracer
02-08-11, 21:23
An upper vise block will make it a lot easier to do, I borrowed one when I installed mine. Didn't take long to do.

uwe1
02-09-11, 00:18
I started out with a 11" on my training gun and my second gun has a 13". It definitely gives you more room if you like to mount a flip up sight and a light on the top rail while being able to grab as far forward on the rail as possible. With the 11", you'll easily lose 2"-3" to the flip up sight and light mount, leaving you with about 8" of clear rail. That's only 1" more than a carbine length handguard. You can either get a 13", or get the 11" and extend the stock out further if you prefer to extend your support hand out more.

HeavyDuty
02-09-11, 08:00
Thanks guys. Sounds like few have gone with 13" and regretted it. I like a long grip, too. I'll go with that.

I'll snoop around the web to see how involved the installation is. I built my first AR and have a few basic tools laying around, this might be doable.

I wish I had gone with 11" instead of 13"...

sadmin
02-09-11, 08:26
better to have it and not need it as they say...

ok and I really just wanted to stop and acknowledge that i smiled really big when I read this. fantastic analogy, and spot on.

AR15.com is the not-so-hot-girl you lost your V-card to, and are now ashamed to acknowledge in public, even though deep down you appreciate that she helped you through the most awkward moments of your life

Julian
02-09-11, 09:24
I have several with the 13" forend. It doesn't hurt having the full length to attach stuff. If you never need it, it doesn't weigh enough to be concerned.
I find that I don't need to adjust my grip to be behind my light. I tryed an 11" and a different companies 15" just to be sure what I liked best. I settled on the 13"

uwe1
02-09-11, 09:49
I wish I had gone with 11" instead of 13"...

HeavyDuty, just curious, what was your reasoning for this?

chadbag
02-09-11, 10:13
I have a 13" and like it.

I want to try a 15" one as well.

Nefarious79
02-09-11, 11:45
I have an 11in VTAC extreme on my 11.5in LW SBR
a 13in VTAC extreme on my 20in precision setup
and a 9in DD OmegaX on my 16in middy

The only issue I have with the 9in rail is not being able to mount my light forward enough that I can accuate the tail cap switch with my thumb, otherwise I cant see needing more than an 11in rail.

Depending upon the stock you are using it may shift the balance ever so slightly, 11in works well with a ctr stock where if you had a sopmod or ACS you may want the longer rail.

Things to consider

HeavyDuty
02-09-11, 19:55
HeavyDuty, just curious, what was your reasoning for this?

On this particular carbine, I think the 11" would balance better. I'll probably pick an 11" up, swap them out and put the 13" on the shelf for a future build.

uwe1
02-09-11, 22:06
On this particular carbine, I think the 11" would balance better. I'll probably pick an 11" up, swap them out and put the 13" on the shelf for a future build.

Ok, that makes sense. I have my 11" TRX on a rifle with a Eotech 512/GGG Accucam mount and the 13" on a gun with a H1/Larue mount.

Edit: There is an 11" for sale on the EE.

PatrolRifleGroup
02-09-11, 22:29
I'd go with the new 15" TRX rail. Then again, I don't like any barrel showing whenever possible.

scootle
02-09-11, 22:45
I'd go with the new 15" TRX rail. Then again, I don't like any barrel showing whenever possible.

Wow, they have a 15" model now? Does this one have the revised design that works with standard barrel nuts?

Wolf Spyder
02-09-11, 22:47
I have a 7" Troy MRF and I wanted to go with the 13.8" Troy MRF-RX, but now that they have the brand new 15" TRX in the stores... I am going to go that route instead. So make mine a 15" TRX.

O.P. I would go with the longer of the two that you mentioned. I would try the 13" if I were you.

Wolf Spyder
02-09-11, 22:48
Wow, they have a 15" model now? Does this one have the revised design that works with standard barrel nuts?

No, That is the new Troy Alpha Rail. The Alpha is different than the TRX Extreme Rail.

Surf
02-10-11, 00:58
You can get away with a lot depending on where you like your stock. On my work rifle I have a 9" rail on a carbine length 10.3" MK18. On several of my personal rifles I have various rails even the 13" Troy. I can get the same extension on any of these rifles with adjusting the stock. On my work rifle stock fully extended gives the same LOP as my personal 13" rail with stock almost fully collapsed. Now some might have preferences on where your optic sits but rail space gives options for that also.

PatrolRifleGroup
02-10-11, 21:10
No, That is the new Troy Alpha Rail. The Alpha is different than the TRX Extreme Rail.

Here's the link for the 15" Extreme:

http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-trx-extreme-15

Wolf is right, the 15" extreme has the same locking system as the 11" & 13" models. The alpha uses a standard barrel nut, while the extreme uses a proprietary. Either way, I'd be interested to see just how durable both of them are.

tpdavis89
02-13-11, 12:46
Glad I this threat come up. I've been debating this same question the last fews weeks myself only I want to put the rail on a 14.5 middy with perm attached Battle Comp...decisions decisions.

scootle
02-13-11, 19:27

Here's the link for the 15" Extreme:

http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-trx-extreme-15

Wolf is right, the 15" extreme has the same locking system as the 11" & 13" models. The alpha uses a standard barrel nut, while the extreme uses a proprietary. Either way, I'd be interested to see just how durable both of them are.

Oh... thanks for clearing that up. Looks good though:

http://troyind.com/%20/battlerails/troy-battlerail-alpha-coming-soon

One problem with the Alpha, though, is that the built-in spring-loaded battlesight sort of precludes the option of a 12 o'clock light mount. :(

Eric D.
03-24-11, 15:41
Will the 11" TRX cover a LP gas block on a midlength?

SA80Dan
03-24-11, 18:31
Will the 11" TRX cover a LP gas block on a midlength?

Yes no problem.

OMD
03-24-11, 21:31
Fit over the short LPs just enough to hide them. I am using a Troy gas block and the 11" goes past it by about 3/4".

usmcvet
03-26-11, 08:45
I bought the 11" and ended up trading for the 13". I've since sold the upper. I liked the 11" a little better because it was closer to the carbine length guns I am used to. It is really preference and something you will have to try out. I was quickly able to trade my 11 for a 13 here on the EE so that is always a good option if you want to experiment.

I also found it a little more natural to operate my light on the 11" rail. I'm 6'.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1363

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1366

Here is how it ended up when I was finished.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1558

This is a comparison of my SBR's and the middy. The middy upper's been sold I might SBR the spare lower one of these days.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=302&pictureid=1559

jwfuhrman
03-26-11, 10:06
I use a 13in TRX Extreme on my 3gun BCM 16in Middy SS410.

When I get my 12.5 SBR done, its going to be wearing a 11in TRX Extreme

OldState
03-26-11, 10:09

"The genesis of modular free float rails has arrived. Building off of the TRX™ Extreme design that revolutionized rail based handguards; the Alpha Rail™ utilizes a new low-profile locking mechanism, which offers unparalleled strength and stability. With built-in legendary Troy™ spring loaded front Battlesight, unlimited mounting options, and greater heat dispersion the Alpha Rail™ once again sets a new industry standard in modular free float rail design."

Based on this description I am curious if they will be similar in weight to a TRX with a BUIS.

I am in the market for a new rail as well. If i decide to replace my FSP with a LP gas block I will probably be looking at a 11" or 13" TRX. This new Alfa rail has me interested now. I would love to see some specs.

LMTRocks
03-26-11, 12:15
I use a 13in TRX Extreme on my 3gun BCM 16in Middy SS410.

When I get my 12.5 SBR done, its going to be wearing a 11in TRX Extreme

I just did a 12" 6.8 upper and used a Wilson Combat barrel. The 11" TRX VTAC stopped just short of the 5/8-24 threading so a 12.5" will look really good.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn346/gunguyshots/P2040003.jpg
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn346/gunguyshots/P2160001.jpg
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn346/gunguyshots/P2160003.jpg

TehLlama
03-26-11, 14:10
Once the 15" version comes in the VTAC flavor, I'm definitely going to be picking that up.

HaydenB
03-26-11, 15:12
Fit over the short LPs just enough to hide them. I am using a Troy gas block and the 11" goes past it by about 3/4". So I assume that if I'm going to shave my FSB on a middy I should go for the 13"?

tpdavis89
03-30-11, 19:01
So I assume that if I'm going to shave my FSB on a middy I should go for the 13"?

Hayden,

The 11" rail will cover a mid length gas block no problem.

chadbag
03-30-11, 19:25
Hayden,

The 11" rail will cover a mid length gas block no problem.

A shaved FSB is longer than a normal gas block. Don't know how that affects anything.

CQC.45
03-31-11, 14:07
Read elsewhere that a 11" will cover a shaved FSB on a middy.

az doug
03-31-11, 16:58
You can get away with a lot depending on where you like your stock. On my work rifle I have a 9" rail on a carbine length 10.3" MK18. On several of my personal rifles I have various rails even the 13" Troy. I can get the same extension on any of these rifles with adjusting the stock. On my work rifle stock fully extended gives the same LOP as my personal 13" rail with stock almost fully collapsed. Now some might have preferences on where your optic sits but rail space gives options for that also.

I do understand what you are posting, but "LOP" refers to length of pull -- the measurement, in inches, between the curve of the trigger and the edge of the butt stock. Collapsing the stock does change this measurement.

NC Buckeye
03-31-11, 20:50
I am 5'9" and like my 13". With an 11" if I were as out stretched as I like, my weak hand would be on my light. Additionally the 13" gets me the same sight radius as the 11", plus I get to have my light at 12 oclock. Lastly the weight penalty just 2oz on an already rail and if it is too much to bear, cut it.

BigBuckeye
03-31-11, 23:15
Love my 13" Troy rail.....going to get the 15" for my 20" rifle
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/mgriffin76/IMG_0759.jpg

CLHC
04-01-11, 00:18
I was contemplating the 13" setup for my n4lr. Either the Troy or the Apex in 12.5" length.

Seagrave7
05-03-11, 02:29
Just switched from an 11" to a 13".

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/Seagrave77/Private/IMG_5306c.jpg

PatrolRifleGroup
05-03-11, 06:13
Just switched from an 11" to a 13".

Looks like a DD LW midlength barrel with a PA Battlecomp. I've pretty much shelved my SBR's and run this exact same setup 100% of the time. Shoots fast and accurate, and is super easy to maneuver. Here's mine:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/zebra1550/Gun%20Forum%20Photos/IMG_3104.jpg

Seagrave7
05-03-11, 08:23
Looks like a DD LW midlength barrel with a PA Battlecomp. I've pretty much shelved my SBR's and run this exact same setup 100% of the time. Shoots fast and accurate, and is super easy to maneuver. Here's mine:

You're correct.

DD Lower
DD Upper
DD 14.5 LW Barrel
1.5 Battle Comp (PA'd)
LMT SOPMOD
Hogue Grip
G&R LPK
Magpul ASAP

This rifle has great balance. BTW, Interesting you mentioned you shelved your SBR's for this setup. Was this due to accuracy or reliability?

PatrolRifleGroup
05-03-11, 21:59
This rifle has great balance. BTW, Interesting you mentioned you shelved your SBR's for this setup. Was this due to accuracy or reliability?

Neither of those really, all of my SBR's are just as reliable and accurate. I just really like the way the LW-ML DD barrel balances and shoots. Consequently, when I compare my BCM 11.5" SBR to my DD 14.5PA, there's literally less than 2" difference in length. However, the 11.5" is a standard .750 profile, and actually feels heavier. Sounds crazy, but I'm fairly certain that it will turn out to be heavier when I weigh it. One of these days I'll confirm it on a scale.

One side issue, is that I like carrying a rifle that doesn't have all of the NFA restictions attached to it. I tend to travel out of state a fair amount, and usually have to swap my duty SBR out of my vehicle. Now I can travel wherever.

CLHC
05-03-11, 23:23
. . .switched from an 11" to a 13".

DD Lower
DD Upper
DD 14.5 LW Barrel
1.5 Battle Comp (PA'd)
LMT SOPMOD
Hogue Grip
G&R LPK
Magpul ASAP

This rifle has great balance.
Just curious what's the weight of this setup of yours w/o magazine?

Seagrave7
05-03-11, 23:32
One side issue, is that I like carrying a rifle that doesn't have all of the NFA restictions attached to it. I tend to travel out of state a fair amount, and usually have to swap my duty SBR out of my vehicle. Now I can travel wherever.

That makes complete sense.

Seagrave7
05-03-11, 23:34
Just curious what's the weight of this setup of yours w/o magazine?

I don't have a scale so not sure on exact weight. But its definitely on the lighter side.

DeusExMachina
05-04-11, 00:19
9"...its lighter.

9" TRX Extreme
14.5" Sabre gov't profile
Magpul MOE stock and grip
YHM flip sight gas block
AAC MITER Blackout (this sumbitch weighs 4oz!)
Plum Crazy lower

= 6.25 lbs

Warhawk
05-04-11, 01:43
These are both 18 inch barrels, the black one is a Troy/VTAC 11 inch HG, the FDE is 13 inches.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_00652.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_006412.JPG

I don't notice a whole lot of difference between the two. The 11 inch is the perfect length to just cover the gas block on a midlength.

9DivDoc
05-04-11, 21:16
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/9DivDoc/IMG_0002-1.jpg

13.0 only way to go if you got long arms