PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 Questions

OldState
02-08-11, 23:42
I am new to AR's and am doing a lot of research right now.

I have come across some info on Colts saying that they do not use standard sizing on some of their pins, etc.

Is this old info and is this the case with the 6920? (I did hear there civilian style guns use these parts)

I'm basically wondering if current production Colts are 100% interchangeable with aftermarket mil spec parts.

Is the LE6920 the same rifle?

I've seen 6920's on the internet for sale for $1100 to $1200. I was thinking I would build a rifle from quality parts like from BCM but am wondering if a Colt at that price would be a better move.

Sorry for the NOOB questions but I am having trouble searching for this info.

Any suggestions

Eric
02-08-11, 23:49
6920's currently have standard .155 milspec sized FCG pins.

Iraqgunz
02-08-11, 23:50
Colt 6920's that have been made in the last few years all use .155 diameter pins. Is that what you are asking?

Colt is the Milspec, so yes they are interchangeable. A Colt factory model 6920 is always a good move.

OldState
02-09-11, 00:57
Colt 6920's that have been made in the last few years all use .155 diameter pins. Is that what you are asking?

Colt is the Milspec, so yes they are interchangeable. A Colt factory model 6920 is always a good move.

Yes, that is what I am asking. Thank you.

Is the LE6920 receiver still milled with a sear block or in a different manner than other manufacturers?

Thanks

Iraqgunz
02-09-11, 01:00
No idea. I haven't looked at any lately. It's also moot since I am not installing an auto sear anytime soon.

Yes, that is what I am asking. Thank you.

Is the LE6920 receiver still milled with a sear block or in a different manner than other manufacturers?

Thanks

Eric
02-09-11, 05:11
Is the LE6920 receiver still milled with a sear block or in a different manner than other manufacturers?Yes...and no. They are no longer using the pinned in protruding steel block, but they do have material that is not machined away to make it compatible, which makes no difference for most of us.

Current configuration
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/IMG_07471.jpg

Older pinned in block
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Colt%20AR15/IMG_8426.jpg

Lost River
02-09-11, 05:40
. A Colt factory model 6920 is always a good move.

That sums it up right there.

OldState
02-09-11, 09:20
Thanks for the pictures and the info! I was confused by some of the info I found and a lot of it must have predated the changes.

I was concerned that if I bought a Colt I would have trouble putting any of the common aftermarket triggers in.

At around $1150 for the Colt, I don't know if building rifle from, say BCM parts etc, to be equivalent in quality is that much cheaper (or cheaper at all).

jhs1969
02-09-11, 10:10
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Click the link in the first post.

I've noticed that a lot of people knock Colt for many different reasons but the most prevelant seems to be to justify their purchase of a sub-standard carbine with the attitude that my XYZ is "just as good as".

I've owned many, many Bushmasters, a few Sporter versions of Colt and a single LMT. I have owned a 6920 for over 2 years now and am finally satisfied. I'm looking toward another AR in the next couple of years, and I have a very short list of makers; Colt, BCM or Daniel Defense. Look into the link very closely and educate yourself as much as possible then decide what you want. As a general rule, the further left on the chart you go the better. Good luck.

Heavyweight
02-09-11, 10:36
At around $1150 for the Colt, I don't know if building rifle from, say BCM parts etc, to be equivalent in quality is that much cheaper (or cheaper at all).

The BCM M4 Carbine Mod 1, which is pretty much identical to the Colt 6920, is going to run you about $1,135 plus shipping and transfer fees. So you'll be looking at about the same price for either rifle. If you're trying to decide between the two you might as well flip a coin...you can't go wrong either way.

Stay Safe!

Heavyweight

Scotter260
02-09-11, 11:27
If you go to their bravocompanyUSA and add all the options (BCG, charging handle, carry handle, handguards) to their 16" M4 upper it comes to about $694.

I believe their blemmed complete lowers are $270.

That's only $964 before shipping and transfer fee on the lower but savings is savings. Sometimes, however, convenience is worth something extra too. Either way, I don't see how you can go wrong.

Best wishes on your purchase.

OldState
02-09-11, 23:52
The Colt seems like it may be the way to go.

The only things that would sway me is

1) I kinda thought it would be fun to build a gun.
2) I was going to build a mid length gas set up.

I've seen posts with similar concerns. Most of the responses are that Colt has their carbines set up properly and not to worry.
but...

My original impetus to go mid length actually came from reading the article about the Governments rifle "competition" a few years back where they compared the M4 to other designs.

The M4 scored last in the reliability test with over 3x the malfunctions compared to the the full length M16A4. It also made me want to build a piston gun....

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/

hunter123
02-10-11, 00:11
I would go with a BCM.You can get a new BCM Midlength rifle for $1000.00