PDA

View Full Version : CZ 527 Carbine

Seraph
02-09-11, 09:38
I don't know why, but I want this, every time I see it. Does anyone have one of these?

http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/334/main334_png_637x200_q85.png

Jake'sDad
02-09-11, 11:58
I have the similar Interarms Mini Mauser, though it's not a DM. Fun little gun.

I've looked at that CZ too, and wondered what it would be like set up as a "Mini tactical".

orkan
02-09-11, 12:34
Oh I hate me some CZ.

Actions suck. Triggers are not much better. Magazine's and bottom metal/plastic is bargain basement.

They shoot though, I'll give them that. Most I've fired were MOA or better.

mike_f
02-09-11, 16:36
I have a left handed version in .223. I really like the rifle. Lots of nicely blued steel and pretty walnut. True micro Mauser action. It's a light, short, handy little rifle.

I can only speak for my rifle, but the steel is nicely blued, no plastic anywhere that I can see. It also has a single, set trigger with a light pull and little creep.

The things I don't like about it are pretty much the magazine set up. Single stack, sticks out below the bottom of the action, and I can't top off the mag while it's in the rifle. But you can carry extra mags and reload quickly with them.

I just wish they had more calibers available in the left hand versions.

JStor
02-10-11, 21:49
I'd buy one if they'd redesign the safety to work the correct way...or if there were an aftermarket part that I could install. They're handy from what I could tell by handling one in a gun shop.

billyjmc
02-10-11, 23:13
I agree with the above assessments. I have the CZ 527 American in .223. It's accurate, lightweight, looks very classy, no plastic. It is controlled feed, for better or worse, and the set trigger is perhaps a nice option for somebody, though I refrain from using it. It is 1:12" twist though, and mine seems to prefer varmint/lightweight ammo. I would not buy it again, but that's mostly because my tastes in firearms has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years.

wesprt
02-11-11, 00:57
I have a 527 American in .22 Hornet with a small fixed 4x Nikon that serves as my walking varminter rifle. Out of the shit-ton of guns I've owned in my life the rifle that gets carried around and shot the most is my 527. Weighs less than 7lbs loaded, can carry it all day and barely know it's there.

It runs me around $7 per box of 50 rounds to reload. Quieter than a .223 but still has enough punch to kill anything up to deer. I use standard small pistol primers and Lil Gun powder. Brass life is excellent, I have some cases that are on their 5th reloading and look like they will go for another 5.

FILTHY accurate considering the short sporter weight barrel. I have cloverleafed 5 shots at 75 yards with long loaded 40 grain Vmaxes. Wonderfully light set trigger.. Non set is pretty good too. If I have one gripe with this rifle it's the detachable box mag. The Hornet really shines with 40 grain Vmaxes and Lil Gun, but if seated correctly they are too long for the mag and have to be single loaded.. I'd prefer an internal mag. Other than that, great rifles. I have personally seen .5 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards shot by 527's in both .223 and .221 Fireball.

As for the above comments by Orkan, I haven't experienced anything of the sort. My bolt slicked up quickly with use, my stock trigger was quite adequate and there is no plastic on my gun anywhere (except the recoil pad). The bottom metal is nicely finished blued steel and the bluing elsewhere is excellent.

bm176
02-11-11, 07:13
gotta love them cz's, i have 3 and never regreted owning one

orkan
02-11-11, 10:07
I called it bottom metal/plastic, because it may just as well be plastic. The DBM is a joke.

okie john
02-11-11, 10:43
I don't know why, but I want this, every time I see it.

If that's the case, don't ever handle one, especially in 7.62x39. They're lighter and slicker than a 30/30 but fill the same role.

I had a 550 American in 9.3x62. No plastic anywhere, the best recoil pad I've seen on any factory rifle, and superbly accurate--one group was .187" and everything else was sub-MOA. I shot a bunch of feral cattle and a little wild hog with it, then I gave it to my father to take to Africa. Results were dramatic, but that's the cartridge, not the rifle.

Okie John

Sam
02-12-11, 16:34
Seraph, you must have read my mind. I walked into my favorite gun shop today to shoot some bull with the guys. My salesman friend showed me the 527 in .223 and 7.62x39. It is so neat. Lightweight, real wood, smooth action, compact and stupidly light set trigger.

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on one. The question is, which caliber? I already have a house full of .223 ammo, but don't have a single round of 7.62x39. I know that the chicom ammo is cheap, is it accurate?

mattjmcd
02-12-11, 16:49
If you can live with a small bolt knob and controlled round feeding, it's a great little rifle. I have the 7.62x39 and it is very accurate at 100-150m ( as far as I have tried, so far) with a VXII 2-7x. It's light but also soft-shooting.

Get one!

wesprt
02-12-11, 18:27
Seraph, you must have read my mind. I walked into my favorite gun shop today to shoot some bull with the guys. My salesman friend showed me the 527 in .223 and 7.62x39. It is so neat. Lightweight, real wood, smooth action, compact and stupidly light set trigger.

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on one. The question is, which caliber? I already have a house full of .223 ammo, but don't have a single round of 7.62x39. I know that the chicom ammo is cheap, is it accurate?

Expect 1 MOA or less with properly worked up handloads. With Wolf the average seems to be somewhere around 1.5 to 2 MOA with some shooting better and some worse. Some guns will need a extra power firing pin spring to shoot Wolf or surplus, I've heard CZ will send it to you for free if you call. If I could ever find one that would consistently shoot MOA I'd buy it and a couple cases of ammo and be set on hogs and deer for life.

Seraph
02-12-11, 23:11
Thanks for the excellent replies, gentlemen. It happens that I'm looking more at the 7.62x39 carbine. I've sold all my AK's, but still have some 7.62x39 ammo, so, you know... I HAVE to buy a rifle to shoot that ammo.

8200rpm
02-13-11, 00:07
With Wolf the average seems to be somewhere around 1.5 to 2 MOA with some shooting better and some worse.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5029/cz527wa6.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/7479/cz527rzu7.jpg

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4118/czttpe8.jpg

My 7.62x39 also shot sub-2" groups at 100 yards with Wolf using a 2.5X Weaver (El Paso) scope! I never realized that Wolf could be so accurate.

It was one of those guns that you just had to own after picking it up at the shop. So light and handy, it's amazing. The mini-Mauser action was slick, and the recoil was very mild. You just wanted to get in the woods just so you could carry it.

I eventually sold my 527, because I couldn't get it to "fill a niche" in my collection. It's a bit on the weaker side for medium game, not really a target rifle, and not the best as a defensive carbine. It was just a curios plinker. Even at that, the regular trigger was awful... spongy and heavy while the set trigger was stupidly light... probably about 1 lb. The cheek weld was designed for the iron sights, so glass sat uncomfortably high, and due to the integral 16mm dovetail, ring selection was sparse.

In retrospect, had I spent a few bucks to remedy the shortcomings, it would have been a great little carbine. Timney makes an aftermarket trigger that's no doubt fantastic. And the stock could have been easily replaced. But at the time, I wanted another CMP M1 Garand and the 7.62x39 was an easy sacrifice.

Sam
02-13-11, 13:07
Did you use those high mounts to allow the scope to clear the iron sights? Could it be mounted lower?

GJM
02-13-11, 13:10
As long as we are on CZ pics, here is my .223 with a Zeiss 4x scope, Talley rings, aperture sights and a Brockman laminate stock:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/CZ.jpg

I used to have a 7.62x39 CZ, with a forward mounted Aimpoint, aperture sights and a number of neat mods that was a great shooter. Will need to look for a photo of that.

GJM
02-13-11, 14:02
And, "Scoutski"

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/scoutski1.jpg

pappy86
02-13-11, 14:37
I like mine in 7.62x39, it is accurate enough, and handles nice. I would like it if they made it in .308.

8200rpm
02-13-11, 18:53
Did you use those high mounts to allow the scope to clear the iron sights? Could it be mounted lower?

Yeah, it was a case of buying rings before the scope. I think I bought medium height rings so the front bell would stay above the rear irons. But, I ended up buying a scope without a front bell.:rolleyes:

Either way, the comb of the stock slopes down and is better suited for irons than glass.

Sam
02-15-11, 19:58
What about this compact Ruger 77 Hawkeye?

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeCompact/models.html

Anyone has one?

Jake'sDad
02-16-11, 02:17
What about this compact Ruger 77 Hawkeye?

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeCompact/models.html

Anyone has one?

Couple of them.

Sam
02-16-11, 06:31
Couple of them.

What caliber and what's your impression?

120mm
02-16-11, 11:44
Yeah, it was a case of buying rings before the scope. I think I bought medium height rings so the front bell would stay above the rear irons. But, I ended up buying a scope without a front bell.:rolleyes:

Either way, the comb of the stock slopes down and is better suited for irons than glass.

This is typical European set up. They take more of a chin than a cheek weld on hunting rifles.

Rob Haught
02-16-11, 12:00
What caliber and what's your impression?

I have a 308, 223 and a 7mm-08. I like them. Very handy and compact. My 308 is my favorite, set up as my answer to the Scout Rifle concept. Grey laminate stock, glass bedded, Decelerator pad, Black Armor Tuff finish and Trijicon 3x9 green dot. Its set up to accept a small Surefire light and is my current pig gun.

40Arpent
02-16-11, 17:25
I have a 308, 223 and a 7mm-08. I like them. Very handy and compact. My 308 is my favorite, set up as my answer to the Scout Rifle concept. Grey laminate stock, glass bedded, Decelerator pad, Black Armor Tuff finish and Trijicon 3x9 green dot. Its set up to accept a small Surefire light and is my current pig gun.

I have the SS in 7mm-08, with a conventionally mounted 2.5-8x Leupold VXIII....it's about to get christened as my pig gun this weekend in South Texas. But then again, so is my Ruger Gunsite Scout. :)

SGT D USMC
02-16-11, 23:33
I have one in 762 x 39, It shoots wolf in a inch and a half at 100 yds,
I love it. Does anyone know for sure what the bore dia. is? What dia. bullets work best with it. Is anyone loading heavy subsonic loads? Its case capiticy is simuliar to the 300 whisper. I would sure appreciate any feed back.

Seraph
02-17-11, 23:03
I have one in 762 x 39, It shoots wolf in a inch and a half at 100 yds,
I love it. Does anyone know for sure what the bore dia. is? What dia. bullets work best with it. Is anyone loading heavy subsonic loads? Its case capiticy is simuliar to the 300 whisper. I would sure appreciate any feed back.

It should be a .311" bore.

Yale
11-16-14, 21:00
And, "Scoutski"

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/scoutski1.jpg

What is that mount? I must have it.

Lost River
12-14-14, 20:13
Curious myself, as I have the same rifle.