PDA

View Full Version : Visible laser on a carbine, just as practical as lasergrips on a pistol?

Derek_Connor
09-05-07, 12:18
I have understood the pros/cons and practicality to having lasergrips on a pistol for low light/night situations.

Do the fundamentals and applicability still hold true for a visible laser on a carbine for the same type missions?

Not talking about IR lasers at all, visible green/red varieties...

gunny
09-05-07, 12:40
I'm not sure if you asking about VL grips for AR's or any type of VL on an AR in general. I run the little Insight Technology CVL purchased from Grant on my entry AR. It's nice to have indoors or in low light. Some of the guys on my team run dept issued Surefire IR L75's. I like my VL & it helps to make non-precision target acquisition for quick employment. Plus the intimidatoin factor on mopes when they see that little red dot painted on their chest is a benefit as well. Some folks are against using VL's & some folks swear by them. I did used to run both IR & VL on my rig & sometimes I do attach my issue SF L75 depending on what we're doing. It just depends on your taste, mission type or if you just want to have one to play around with.

C4IGrant
09-05-07, 13:21
I have understood the pros/cons and practicality to having lasergrips on a pistol for low light/night situations.

Do the fundamentals and applicability still hold true for a visible laser on a carbine for the same type missions?

Not talking about IR lasers at all, visible green/red varieties...

I think they do, but a laser on a long gun is over shadowed if you have a dot optic on it.

From talking with several friends deployed to the sandbox, they advise me that the laser is a very good tool for crowd control. I think the same applies here in the US. I think people tend to pay more attention when a red dot is sitting on their chest.

C4

toddackerman
09-06-07, 10:35
I think they do, but a laser on a long gun is over shadowed if you have a dot optic on it.

From talking with several friends deployed to the sandbox, they advise me that the laser is a very good tool for crowd control. I think the same applies here in the US. I think people tend to pay more attention when a red dot is sitting on their chest.

C4

But wouldn't you agree that a laser/ light combo is a very good thing for "Bumps in the Night" at your home. Hit the light, hit the laser and fire.

I find that it is a very quick way for target acquisition, even though I have an EOTech. I agree that you wouldn't use both at the same time.

Tack

C4IGrant
09-06-07, 10:52
But wouldn't you agree that a laser/ light combo is a very good thing for "Bumps in the Night" at your home. Hit the light, hit the laser and fire.

I find that it is a very quick way for target acquisition, even though I have an EOTech. I agree that you wouldn't use both at the same time.

Tack

I find a laser on a long gun slower than a 1X optic on a gun. If you were only running irons then the laser would be a good improvement.

At CQB distances, I find myself point shooting more than I do using my sights. At these distances, speed is everything IMHO (still have to get good hits though).

C4

toddackerman
09-07-07, 14:01

C4

Can I get a refund then from you for my OTAL with LaRue mount and tape switch????

Just kidding!

I have experimented (mostly in my house where the laser would be used) and find that when I hit a target with my SF 961 light and then hit the laser, I get a more quickly defined target acquisition, and it doesn't matter what my cheek/ head position is.

Talk about "point and shoot"! I think I could do it between my legs. :)

I realize this is a personal preference issue, but I'd love to hear any comments that are "constructive".

Tack

Jack_Stroker
11-16-07, 00:15
This is an interesting thread as I have a green laser that I am quite fond of. I've had it on my Bushmaster, but now I'm building a Colt and I thought about transfering the laser over to it, and really wasn't sure it was needed. The weight it seems to add isn't much, but my main concern wasn't weight, but practicality.

I was thinking that on my defensive carbine that it would be redundant as I have an EOTech and a BUIS. So I don't know that it's necessary, other than I can see the above point about it might help for even faster targetting and or scaring the piss out of the person that the laser is sitting on.

I thought about using the laser on a future AR project that would have a scope mounted instead of a CQB style optic and the laser could be nice as a tool incase the weapon needed to be used quickly in a CQB situation.

Thoughts?

sgtlmj
11-17-07, 00:07
I use a laser as a training aid. It, better than a red dot sight, will show your bad habits when acquiring and moving to a target. Helps to find your best stance and speed while keeping the dot on target. After a while, you'll notice the motion of the dot smooth out as you move.

You don't need an expensive laser for this, just something that makes a dot on the target.

11-18-07, 01:18
I use a M6X on my shorty along with a Eo-tech 511 with a GG&G Acucam quick release and BUIS.

In the winter here it is dark and cold. If one is outside for as little as 10 min in 30 below or colder, whatever optic you use will fog up when re-entering anywhere that is heated. In such weather prior to entry of vehicle or building I will pocket the Eo-tech and flip up the BUIS.

In the event I need to fight:eek: upon entry or shortly thereafter, the laser works great as an intimidator and aiming device.