PDA

View Full Version : K 31 setup

anubismp
09-05-07, 12:34
Hi everyone, this is my first post on your forums. Has anyone seen or used a K 31 as a precision rifle? Ive already seen the ZF55 swiss sniper rifle proper but dont have 5k to drop on it. I have one and even with the fat front iron sight it shoots under 1 MOA. I am considering using the setup for long shots and some hunting and the only factory ammo for it is non corrosive and close to match grade. Is this too crazy or does anyone think it will work?

Barry in IN
09-05-07, 13:12
Anything can be done with enough money.

I have seen a couple of K31s turned into good-looking match rifles for NRA Highpower. That isn't exactly the same thing as you are talking, but if that can be done, I suppose your project is possible.

I like the K31, but there are sure easier ways of doing it (not that being difficult, impractical, too hard/expensive, or just plain silly ever kept me from doing a lot of things).

I would think the major obstacle would be re-barreling (assuming that is part of the plan). The K31 barrel shank and receiver threads are larger in diameter than most rifles. The Highpower K31s I've seen were rebarreled by the use of a bushing of sorts. It was turned and threaded to mate with the receiver threads, then that bushing was bored/threaded for the barrel of choice.

The magzine and receiver feed rails might feed .308-size cartridges with little or no modifcations. A .284 Winchester-based round might even be a better match.

I can't think of the gunsmith who was doing the match conversions on K31s, or I'd tell you. He was somewhere in the NE.

anubismp
09-06-07, 23:24
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure where Im going with it but 308 would certainly be cheaper and more plentiful.

Rule303
09-07-07, 16:43
You should consider posting your question over at The Swiss Rifles Message Board (http://p082.ezboard.com/btheswissriflesdotcommessageboard), if you haven't already. You could probably get a lot more info over there.