PDA

View Full Version : Who's using a 1-4x type scope on their home defense gun

Mike T
09-05-07, 17:50
I'm wondering how it's working for you and how long you had to train with the scope before you felt you were competent.

I'm asking as I'm considering purchasing a1-4x scope (Nighforce 1-4x24NXS) as it seems to be the most complete sighting system for me however I'm concerned with how much speed I will lose in using it for home protection. I have Eotechs on other rifles and found them to be good but I'd like to make a change.

Mike T
09-06-07, 09:23
I take the lack of responses to be my answer. I'll stick with my boring old Aimpoint & Eotechs.

paulosantos
09-06-07, 10:30
Does a 1x6 scope count?:D

For pure CQB, it is hard to beat the EOTech or Aimpoint. But it does not mean that you can't use a 1x4 scope, especially if it is a true 1x or 1.1x. The things that you are going to loose with a variable scope are the unlimited eye relief and parallax free, but at CQB distances the parallax free isn't an issue. What you gain with the variable scope is the versatility. The versatility of the variable scopes is why I like them, especially when I go to the range.

Lumpy196
09-06-07, 10:36
If it was the only option I had I would. But Id take and Aimpoint or Eotech WAY before a variable magnified optic, even if it had 1x capability.

Steve
09-06-07, 11:50
I have been running S&B short dot since June,

What a great glass....... there is no more to say other than that.

YOU need to figure out what your needs are. before you buy

for LEO/MIL/PSD work were positive target id might or will be required at distance then there great,

for local run and gun 200yds and under stick to aimpoint eotech acog

for a Home defense gun EO/aimpoint again

for all around use Aimpoint/eotech.

Just my personal choices YMMV

Mike T
09-06-07, 12:24
Thanks for your reply Steve. I've just ordered an Aimpoint and will start there. I'd asked the question in an attempt to get the right scope 1st and not pay money twice for a sight. My usage would be primarily home defense, secondary usage in matches, 3-gun and side stages at IDPA matches. What I've decided is to get an Aimpoint 3ML with 3x magnifier. While I'd prefer the clarity of a Nightforce the Aimpoint set up gives me the flexibility I need.

UPSguy
09-06-07, 12:51
Does a 1x6 scope count?:D
Gotta Z6i? If so, how do you like it?

caporider
09-06-07, 15:04
I love the horseshoe reticle on my IOR 1.1-4x26, but in certain situations I want the instantaneous, eye-relief-be-damned, always-on responsiveness of an Aimpoint inside of 15 yards. So here's my solution:

http://www.visuality.com/personal/6_8/68_t1_boar_800.jpg

http://www.visuality.com/personal/6_8/68_t1_800.jpg

I tried the T-1/Aimpoint 3x combo, but just did not like the fact that I had to wear my corrective lenses to use this combo, whereas my IOR can be dialed in to adjust for my vision. Transitioning between the scopes is a snap. I just have to roll the rifle a few degrees, which takes less than a second with no break in cheekweld. Using the M93B stock helps because the wide, radiused top portion allows my cheek to stay really planted. And the no-parallax design of the T-1 means I can set up eye relief for my IOR and have it work perfectly with the Aimpoint as well. Of course, the T-1 is always on with no worries at all about battery life.

paulosantos
09-08-07, 06:43
Gotta Z6i? If so, how do you like it?

I ordered it on Wednesday, but unfortunately they are not even here in the country yet. I have to wait until the beginning of October before I get it. As soon as I get it, I will test it out and do a full range report on it and post it here. I ordered the one with the illuminated Circle Dot reticle. They are expensive, but with the LE discount directly from Swarovski, they are the best scope for the money.

If you read the PDF below, it will give you some of the details.

http://www.swarovskioptik.at/UserFiles/swarovski_optik/File/Bedienungsanleitungen/BA_Z6_eng_2006.pdf

Low Drag
09-08-07, 06:48
I love the horseshoe reticle on my IOR 1.1-4x26, but in certain situations I want the instantaneous, eye-relief-be-damned, always-on responsiveness of an Aimpoint inside of 15 yards. So here's my solution:

http://www.visuality.com/personal/6_8/68_t1_boar_800.jpg

http://www.visuality.com/personal/6_8/68_t1_800.jpg

I tried the T-1/Aimpoint 3x combo, but just did not like the fact that I had to wear my corrective lenses to use this combo, whereas my IOR can be dialed in to adjust for my vision. Transitioning between the scopes is a snap. I just have to roll the rifle a few degrees, which takes less than a second with no break in cheekweld. Using the M93B stock helps because the wide, radiused top portion allows my cheek to stay really planted. And the no-parallax design of the T-1 means I can set up eye relief for my IOR and have it work perfectly with the Aimpoint as well. Of course, the T-1 is always on with no worries at all about battery life.

I too have the IOR (and a magpul stock but mine's a mid-length) and love it, I've hit out to 600 yards with it using the BDC. Up close I'm faster with it that open sights.

On the eye relief, at any distance inside my home I don't need to use the sights. Sort of a carbine version of point shooting. With my IOR 1.1-4X I've gone down the SUC (sport utility carbine :p ) road. I'm going for a do it all carbine. I'll have to run this pig through a few competitions and maybe a class to see but I think it's there.

mpardun
09-08-07, 09:28
I ordered it on Wednesday, but unfortunately they are not even here in the country yet. I have to wait until the beginning of October before I get it. As soon as I get it, I will test it out and do a full range report on it and post it here. I ordered the one with the illuminated Circle Dot reticle. They are expensive, but with the LE discount directly from Swarovski, they are the best scope for the money.

If you read the PDF below, it will give you some of the details.

http://www.swarovskioptik.at/UserFiles/swarovski_optik/File/Bedienungsanleitungen/BA_Z6_eng_2006.pdf

www.bearbasin.com (had 2 when I spoke to them last week)

SWFA had them, now out

Sportsman W/H could get them in 1 week

all the one's I found were: w/ CircleDot (non EE)

I am still torn between z6i & Short Dot II...Can not wait for your report.

paulosantos
09-08-07, 14:53
www.bearbasin.com (had 2 when I spoke to them last week)

SWFA had them, now out

Sportsman W/H could get them in 1 week

all the one's I found were: w/ CircleDot (non EE)

I am still torn between z6i & Short Dot II...Can not wait for your report.

Yes, but I'd rather wait and pay what I paid for it then order one from SWFA for $1900.;)

Loner
09-09-07, 08:24
caporider how do you like the micro mounted that way?

Loner
09-09-07, 08:30
double post

davemcdonald
09-09-07, 09:59
I have a ShortDot LE on my go to rifle and I doubt anyone would be disappointed with a S&B but cost is a major factor. On 1.1 it is quick as an Aimpoint and on 4X it is like an ACOG. You can also use it as a club if need be as it is built like a steel reinforced brick outhouse.

I have an Aimpoint on my truck rifle and it is fast and fun to shoot. My personal opinion is that an aimpoint and a 3X (for the money) is a hard set up to beat. Make sure you get the Larue Tactical swingout mount for the 3X.

Dave

Derek_Connor
09-09-07, 11:02
The 12.5 is my bed side rifle and it had a meopta 1-4x on it that stayed on 1x when it was setup like this:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8425/receiptforconnorderek8ncr3.jpg

I didn't feel at a disadvantage.

With the creation of some new rifles though, the meopta got put around and now it just wears the good 'ol aimpoint:

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/421/dsc07129largegl2.jpg

I did use the Meopta at a Super Dave class where did some high round count strings and distance shooting with the 12.5SBR. The round count was considerably high and I became relatively comfortable with the setup within the first couple of hours of shooting.

KevinB
09-09-07, 12:45
Short Dot - I have three.

Been running one since 2005

Edit - but not for home defence - I have an Aimpoint for that...

Hootiewho
09-09-07, 18:32
You'd be better served with an Aimpoint for home defense. I had an Nightforce 1-4x and although it was a nice, well made scope, it just isn't the best thing for HD. Get an Aimpoint, leave it on and check the batteries every few years.

caporider
09-09-07, 21:07
caporider how do you like the micro mounted that way?

So far, I like it just fine. I need more time behind the wheel, so to speak, before rendering a final judgment. I will say that transitioning between the scopes is very fast and natural. One potential problem would be weak side shooting - nothing is perfect, and again, time will tell.

Mike T
09-10-07, 22:27
I just finished mounting my Aimpoint M3 and 3x magnifier. I'm very happy with the LaRue mounts and the quality of the optics. I"m convinced that I've made the right choice. I'll just have to get anothe AR and get that Nightforce. Thanks for all the responses.