PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Ciras Question

Bob-USMC
02-09-11, 22:31
What is the difference between the Maritime and Land version?
Is one better than the other?

desert
02-10-11, 00:17
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=242775

Look here, Sorry, am in a bit of a rush, more later

Iraq Ninja
02-10-11, 00:37
From SKD's website:

There are two versions of the Eagle CIRAS vest, the Maritime (CMS-MAR-CIRAS™) and the Land version (CMS-MC-CIRAS™). The Maritime version's cummerbund attaches under flaps that are on the sides. The Land version's cummerbund attaches under a single central flap.

Both vests are rather dated now. They were good when they came out, but there are better vests on the market. I wore the Land Version for many years. It got the job done, but wasn't very comfortable.

Rohardi
02-13-11, 08:57
From SKD's website:

Both vests are rather dated now. They were good when they came out, but there are better vests on the market. I wore the Land Version for many years. It got the job done, but wasn't very comfortable.

Can you give some direction as to the newer better options than the Eagle CIRAS????

Armati
02-13-11, 13:52
Basically, the land version had an internal and external cummerbund with a velcro front flap like the Paraclete SOHPC.

The maritime version was more like a sandwich board with an internal cummerbund and a short external belt made from heavy elastic. It had velcro flaps on the left and right side that held it in place.

All and all, both CIRAS systems were ok. I have worn both and preferred the land version. Both were over build and pretty heavy. Many guys preferred Paraclete RAV19 (old version and newer version) and just put their BALCS armor inserts in the Paraclete carrier.

The new BAE Systems ECLiPSE has since replaced the CIRAS for SOF. It is 500D nylon and seems the right mix of durability, weight and comfort. For a full coverage carrier it is the best I have worn but I am still nostalgic for the Paraclete RAV.

Today, nearly everyone is wearing a plate carrier. Again, it is a load management issue. Most guys will take mobility over armor protection every time. I know a guy who was killed buy a PKM round going under his arm pit. By the same token, I know a guy who was saved by his side plate. I think most guys will have similar stories.

J8127
02-13-11, 15:18
I have used the Paraclete in the past, and was recently issued the new BAE Eclipse RBAV. I prefer the old Paraclete, but would leave both of them in my cage and take a plate carrier. The RBAV is just a slightly less bulky IOTV, there is really nothing that special or cool about it.