PDA

View Full Version : The HK MR556 hits the streets.

variablebinary
02-10-11, 01:44
From SHOT, to Gunbroker to your dealer. The first pics of the MR556 are hitting the streets...for real.

HKPRO has the first pics of the MR556 in "civilian" hands

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq52/rrpd2618/Picture136.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/dcdreamboat/100285/IMG_1401/web.jpg?ver=12972230900001

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq52/rrpd2618/Picture140.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq52/rrpd2618/Picture139.jpg

Skang
02-10-11, 01:48
I don't get why it has short rail, ugly stock and crappy iron sights for that kind of money. :D

jwperry
02-10-11, 02:33
I don't get why it has short rail

It is already 9lbs, how heavy do you want it? :D

I wonder if you could fit a GI chamber cleaning brush in that stock compartment?

TOrrock
02-10-11, 07:16
That's one heavy ass barrel.

krm375
02-10-11, 07:18
Cut it down to 14.5, lose those iron sights, and put an LMT on it and it will be nice.

500grains
02-10-11, 07:21
Looks like the rail is from YHM.

obucina
02-10-11, 08:56
Looks like the rail is from YHM.

it looks identical to the 7in rail that came on my shrubmaster. My newer daniel defense rail weighs much less!

Fr3EK
02-10-11, 09:46
I want to see some reviews now, so I can make my mind up now whether to buy this or the sr15 :)

Kchen986
02-10-11, 10:36
Good to see that these rifles are finally on the marketplace. Can't wait to see the initial range reports.

avengd7x
02-10-11, 11:03
what's wrong with the sights? is it the rear sight that you don't like or the front? or both? I kinda like the hk front sights, but I've never really used that rear one

Mauser KAR98K
02-10-11, 11:09
what's wrong with the sights? is it the rear sight that you don't like or the front? or both? I kinda like the hk front sights, but I've never really used that rear one

I'm the same way. the front I can really live with, but the rear has to go.

YVK
02-10-11, 11:29
I'm the same way. the front I can really live with, but the rear has to go.

You really can't ditch the rear alone, you'd have to replace the entire set. HK sights are of different height than standard AR sights. Additionally, both windage and elevation are adjusted via rear sight only, and I don't know of any AR sights that have same capability.

On a separate note, HK diopter sights are my favorite fixed iron set-up, but they require a thought in regards to optic mounts if one desires good co-witness.

Littlelebowski
02-10-11, 11:32
Wait so this is better than a POF how again? I'll be honest, I haven't been to impressed with HK anything in the past, especially the pistols.

Gee, does being fielded by several country's military units not mean anything to you?

You not being impressed with HK's pistols just continues a trend in your posts that I've noticed.

fhpchris
02-10-11, 11:38
Gee, does being fielded by several country's military units not mean anything to you?

You not being impressed with HK's pistols just continues a trend in your posts that I've noticed.

I bet within three pages this turns into the same slugfest as the last thread.

Guys, can we keep this civil please?

Littlelebowski
02-10-11, 11:40
Technical knowledge and actual testing are king on this site.

krm375
02-10-11, 11:55

I like the Troy flip ups in the HK style, but not the fixed front that HK puts on. The rear is much like the MP 5 and I think there are better options. I would go with the Troy Micros in the HK style for the weapon.

rob_s
02-10-11, 12:02
Wait so this is better than a POF how again? I'll be honest, I haven't been to impressed with HK anything in the past, especially the pistols.

Because it's not a POF?

that's good enough for me...

Lawdog-1
02-10-11, 12:04
The rail look just like the photos of the HK416.

Littlelebowski
02-10-11, 12:08
Yup, we are only impressed by price on here. I meant to point out much more expensive and therefore better the HK is than the POF but I accidentally pointed out which weapon is being used by several different countries. Sorry about that.

YVK
02-10-11, 12:14
I like the Troy flip ups in the HK style, but not the fixed front that HK puts on. The rear is much like the MP 5 and I think there are better options. I would go with the Troy Micros in the HK style for the weapon.

Funny how we all have such different tastes. I don't like Troy's HK-style sight, and problems with non-centered front sight post within a diopter-style sight have been noted by many shooters. Conversely, I think that rear drum-type sight offers more than any other fixed rear sight does.

FMJ556
02-10-11, 13:12
Do these have conventional rifling or polygonal ?

Belmont31R
02-10-11, 13:27
What? I'm not impressed with an overpriced pistol that does nothing better than any of my sigs. I've owned USP's and a P30, for the money a SIG is an all around better choice IN MY OPINION, sorry for having one of those, forgot that in order to impress the gear queer guru price means everything.

Price doesn't have shit to do with it. There are plenty of guys here running around with MP's and Glocks...in fact they probably are the most popular brands used by members here, and they are both cheaper than Sig or HK.

Its just that SIG's QC has gone to shit, and there is evidence to back it up if you care to search. No one really cares what your opinion is when the facts speak for themselves. Around here you need a little bit thicker skin and respect the fact that people come here to get hard facts about products not some unknown members opinion that comes across as being confrontational.

If you have an opinion about something you need something to back that up rather than getting defensive and lashing out at people. Opinions are worthless if you can't take the time to explain what led you to hold that opinion, and try to throw in some facts with it, too.

Iraqgunz
02-10-11, 14:05
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY IT OR THINK IT IS OVERPRICED THEN DON'T BUY IT. LET'S KEEP THIS ONE ON TARGET.

RAM Engineer
02-10-11, 14:12
Do we know if DD is making the barrels or not? IF they are making the barrels, hopefully that will open up the door to some lighter weight options in the future.

Also a question for folks who know the 416 system: Would a longer rail system (if it existed) just be a drop in replacement, clearing the gas block/piston etc.

A lighter & shorter barrel and a slightly longer rail would probably increase sales.

pbr streetgang
02-10-11, 14:39
I'm not sure if you can import it but, Dlask Arms in Vancouver B.C. Is making 7.5 and 10.5 chrome lined barrels for the MR223 up here and they are very well made. They should be GTG with the 416 and MR556 uppers. As for the longer rail system, I think the same company might be able to help you out there. Just google Dlask Arms, and the guy to talk to there is Joe...

scottryan
02-10-11, 14:42
I'd rather have an entire factory HK416 upper with HK416 barrel and make the gun comply with 922r some other way, than using a aftermarket barrel as a compliant part.

krm375
02-10-11, 14:44
Not sure about the Barrels read somewhere DD was involved.

A longer rails was seen at SHOT in the pics on SMG lee's picture Thread.

The hand guard if it is like the 416 can be pulled off with the removal of one screw for disassembly of the piston system for cleaning.

opmike
02-10-11, 15:49
With a longer rail and different barrel profile, my interest in this rifle would increase substantially.

I don't think these will sell substantially well, but I would be interested to see if any rail makers decide to offer up something for those who buy one.

Are there specifics on future configurations that will become available, if any?

Hunter Rose
02-10-11, 17:08
HKparts.net has the longer HK rail listed on their site as a "coming soon" item that's not in stock. Not sure when it will actually be out. It's the IAR length extended rail and, as with all things HK, is pricey at $400+.

As for configurations, I still think the "Match Rifle" configuration was just to get HK Germany to agree to let this project come to fruition. Hopefully, since a lot of the rifle seems to be made in the US, futue configurations will not take as long to come to market as items made solely in Germany. A chrome lined extended rail IAR-clone seems to be a no-brainer and would definitely sell at the $2400-2700 price point the MR556 is selling for.

Iraqgunz
02-10-11, 17:31
If I were to get one, I would want it cut down to 11.5" if possible. Then throw a suppressor on it.

mmike87
02-10-11, 20:54
I have no interest in buying one, however I think it's great these are available for those that are interested. It will only produce more innovation in the marketplace, and that can only be a Good Thing.

montrala
02-11-11, 06:08
The rail look just like the photos of the HK416.

Rail is same as on HK416. It even let you mount AG416 grenade launcher ;)

Longer/IAR rail does not allow AG416 mount.

Magic_Salad0892
02-11-11, 06:24
If I were to get one, I would want it cut down to 11.5" if possible. Then throw a suppressor on it.

IG, Have you personally worked on, shot, etc. any 416s out there?

I wanted to ask if you (or anybody) thinks that the 416/MR556 could bring a true standard to AR piston systems.

I've also heard that the 416/MR556 is more like an MP7A1 is operating system than it is a short stroke gas piston AR variant.

Does anybody know how true that is?

krm375
02-11-11, 07:59
The HK 416 is a simple piston system with a lot of thought and engineering behind it.
As far as a standard, who knows, everyone has been putting their systems out there and they seem to work to some extent, some better than others.
Have not seen the MP7 up close, and have yet to see the MR 556, I hope the MR 556 will be close to the 416 which I am familiar with. I have no real use for a 10.5 inch gun, but a 14.5 with the long rail would be sweet.

Rohardi
02-11-11, 14:48
While I'm glad that these finally made it to market, my yearning for one has completely vanished! I waited and waited and waited!!!!! I can still remember the night when Tom over at HKPRO announced that HK would be making a civilian version of the 416 for the american market and how excited I was. I would have paid what ever I had to get a full rifle! After 3+ years I smartened up and read about other top tier M4s. Once I read about the KAC SR15 I knew that KAC was the way to go. Bang for the buck, It just doesn't get better than the SR15 E3. I wish HK well with this rifle, but I feel like they have shown up to prom after the last dance has started...

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 15:58
I have some trigger time on the 416 a few years back. I also had to clean it when I was done. It had several thousands of rounds put through it in approx. 48 hours and I was able to clean it in about 15 minutes.

I thought it was a very good platform. I would need more time behind it before I am completely sold.

IG, Have you personally worked on, shot, etc. any 416s out there?

I wanted to ask if you (or anybody) thinks that the 416/MR556 could bring a true standard to AR piston systems.

I've also heard that the 416/MR556 is more like an MP7A1 is operating system than it is a short stroke gas piston AR variant.

Does anybody know how true that is?

fhpchris
02-11-11, 22:52
While I'm glad that these finally made it to market, my yearning for one has completely vanished! I waited and waited and waited!!!!! I can still remember the night when Tom over at HKPRO announced that HK would be making a civilian version of the 416 for the american market and how excited I was. I would have paid what ever I had to get a full rifle! After 3+ years I smartened up and read about other top tier M4s. Once I read about the KAC SR15 I knew that KAC was the way to go. Bang for the buck, It just doesn't get better than the SR15 E3. I wish HK well with this rifle, but I feel like they have shown up to prom after the last dance has started...

HK never is going to win based on best value :D

variablebinary
02-12-11, 13:18
I have some trigger time on the 416 a few years back. I also had to clean it when I was done. It had several thousands of rounds put through it in approx. 48 hours and I was able to clean it in about 15 minutes.

I thought it was a very good platform. I would need more time behind it before I am completely sold.

That's exactly how I would want my MR556 to be configured. If that isn't possible, odds are I wont be getting one.

MikeCLeonard
02-12-11, 16:46
Love Hk...

Really like my 416...but it's a 10.5" and is still noticeably heavier than my 14.5" Colt 6921. I do have an earlier year 416 though, and Hk has since released lighter profile barrels for the 416. Held a couple 10.5"s with the lighter barrel and they were noticeably lighter than mine.

I can only imagine that the MR556 is even more of a tank. I'm in agreement that if a light profile barrel and maybe a couple rail options were available...a lot more people would bite on these. I just don't know if Hk cares enough to bother making many aftermarket options for the MR series.

Never had any issue with the 416 rail length though. It's around the length of a 9" mid-lenth rail more than the 7" carbine. It's a good length, and very easy to remove/install.

pbr streetgang
02-12-11, 17:19
I'm inclined to agree with MikeCLeonard, the MR223/556 is like a tank compared to a DI AR15, not to mention it's super muzzle heavy. One of the guys at my range changed out his barrel for a 10.5 and it helped a bit, but it's still heavy ( from what I understand the barrel is a PITA to change out as well). It takes a while to get used to the extra weight, but once you do it's a great rifle to shoot and pretty easy on the eyes. I recently had the opportunity to shoot the MR308/762 and the extra weight certainly helped with felt recoil and it could very well be my next purchase. From what I've read the U.S. version does not come with a chrome lined barrel, and I'm curious to everyones thoughts here.

Here's mine...
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/pbr-streetgang/DSC00329.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/pbr-streetgang/DSC00324.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/pbr-streetgang/DSC00318.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/pbr-streetgang/DSC00295.jpg

justin_247
02-12-11, 17:35
Looking at the operating system of this, it looks like H&K is the inspiration behind the Adams Arms piston mod. The two systems are nearly identical in function if not in appearance, although the BCGs look the same.

luckyguy1
02-12-11, 19:57

not in his defense, but being the best and being in military service are not exactly exclusive.

Littlelebowski
02-12-11, 20:15
not in his defense, but being the best and being in military service are not exactly exclusive.

I'm well aware of that, having served for 8 years. However it give us data, shows that the weapons were tested to standards set, and it beats the **** out of anything POF rifles have done.

variablebinary
02-13-11, 01:37
Looking at the operating system of this, it looks like H&K is the inspiration behind the Adams Arms piston mod. The two systems are nearly identical in function if not in appearance, although the BCGs look the same.

They actually look nothing alike. I've taken both apart, and they don't have much of anything in common other than a rod striking the bolt carrier

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/DSCN2458.jpg

justin_247
02-13-11, 06:41
They actually look nothing alike. I've taken both apart, and they don't have much of anything in common other than a rod striking the bolt carrier

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/DSCN2458.jpg

I disagree dude. The new Adams Arms BCG is nearly identical. Look at this image.

http://www.hitechtactical.com/image.php?id=1580&type=D

The op-rod assembly is also a very similar design. While H&K uses their own proprietary barrel nut and piston stop for the spring, and Adams Arms uses the stock barrel nut, it's still very similar.

M4Guru
02-13-11, 07:31

Maybe not always.

But in this case, yes. Military units with the latitude to test and choose literally any system...M4, Sig 55X, AK, WHATEVER....spent millions of dollars to determine that this was the best rifle. No lowest bidder that meets the standard, no Congressman trying to get dollars to his district, just simple performance at any cost. This gun (the 416) won. It was truly the best.

DirtDiver
02-13-11, 15:06
Always liked the 416, and played with this at SHOT and loved the feel.

The weight is fine IMO.

variablebinary
02-13-11, 15:09

The weight is fine IMO.

The standard HK416 feels okay too when it is naked. Add an optic and a torch and things change pretty quick. Add an IR and you've got a good workout ahead of you.

Belmont31R
02-13-11, 15:47

The weight is fine IMO.

The weight is fine for what? It weighs more than my SR25...

Im also not sure why a piston is warranted on a "match" rifle. Based on certain people's comments the piston guns make an improvement when using a can or in an SBR role. A match gun should not have a high enough ROF or go so long without cleaning a piston may work slightly better.

A piston match rifle seems like the exact opposite of what the piston guns are best at....?

variablebinary
02-14-11, 06:52
Want to shave off a couple of ounces? VLTOR can help

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/vltor-416-rail/IMG_0368.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
02-14-11, 07:05
I'm sold. That's pretty hardcore.

If KAC didn't make something else I loved, I'd be an HK user when they throw out 10.5'' barrels.

Sensei
02-14-11, 08:09
The weight is fine for what? It weighs more than my SR25...

Im also not sure why a piston is warranted on a "match" rifle. Based on certain people's comments the piston guns make an improvement when using a can or in an SBR role. A match gun should not have a high enough ROF or go so long without cleaning a piston may work slightly better.

A piston match rifle seems like the exact opposite of what the piston guns are best at....?

I agree. It seems that HK's civilian version of the 416 differs enough from it's parent design in terms of weight / barrel profile that it looses significant appeal. They probably could have done better market research during that 5 year wait.

Kevp
02-14-11, 11:45
Can someone that has one post some pics of a dissassembled BCG? I'm interested to see if any changes were made. Thanks.

Iraqgunz
02-14-11, 16:41
I saw that as well at Vltor and I got wood. It was definitely nice.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/vltor-416-rail/IMG_0368.jpg

leibermuster
02-16-11, 17:22
Here is a quick pick of my MR223 with longer rail and shorter rail for comparison..

variablebinary
02-17-11, 01:29
Here is a quick pick of my MR223 with longer rail and shorter rail for comparison..

Nice set of twins! How does the HK417 shoot?

Couple more have landed on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=216531169

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/216531000/216531169/pix583880551.jpg

montrala
02-17-11, 07:34

I assume you are outside US - where did you get longer rail and for how much, if it is not a secret?

Hunter Rose
02-17-11, 10:33

With VLTOR being pretty responsive to the market and with what they are doing with the SCAR rails, I can't imagine them not offering a longer 9"-12" version of this if they produce it. For those of you at SHOT did they mention timeframe on release, or is this still in the development stage?

As for the MR556 weight, I am curious to hear about the balance from those who have one or handled it at SHOT. If it balances decently, the HBAR may not be a deal breaker since I'd only be looking at adding an Aimpoint T-1 and Surefire X300 to it.

Kevp
02-17-11, 14:52
No one has any BCG pics? I'm interested to see if the bolt, firing pin & spring, and firing pin safety are the same. Thanks

Frens
02-17-11, 16:07
No one has any BCG pics? I'm interested to see if the bolt, firing pin & spring, and firing pin safety are the same. Thanks

MR223 BCG

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3074/pb050047.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5826/pb050045.jpg

11B101ABN
02-17-11, 16:36

Well, well.

Thats's a sweet foreend.

Kevp
02-17-11, 17:34
MR223 BCG

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3074/pb050047.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5826/pb050045.jpg

Thanks Frens

WillC
02-17-11, 19:50
The notch as advertised ... I wonder if it will have an impact on carrier tilt?

Thanks for the picture.

DacoRoman
02-17-11, 20:47

That's what I was thinking, in other words exploit what that op rod gas system is supposed to do best, other than that the only point of getting one would be just for the sake of novelty IMHO.

montrala
02-18-11, 12:17
The notch as advertised ... I wonder if it will have an impact on carrier tilt?

Remember that this is MR223. Anyway, why would notch have anything to do with carrier tilt?

BTW In my MR223 carrier tilt is non existent. At least there are not traces of such on buffer tube after some 3000+ rounds.

leibermuster
02-18-11, 13:47
Nice set of twins! How does the HK417 shoot?

The MR308/417 shoots Sub/MOA it is in my opinion a much better option than the MR223, if you are going to run a lot of ammo then the MR223 is a good option. But for the civi market the barrel profile is just not necessary, they should have sent us them in 10.4 or 14.5 and a lighter profile for 16.5, it's heavy when adding anything in accessories. I'm a big guy and can handle it no problem, hell i use to carry the pig a lot in my day, but not everyone is an Arnold build.

I don't know the specs and differences between the American MR223 and US version, but HK needs to get people working in their that understand the civi wants more. Or just don't bother anymore...

Oh yeah 1 of the 417 mags I was able to get, had feeding problem issues, may be the spring was not properly set in the bottom of the plate, the other 11 I have worked flawlessly..Still investigating though..

The only real problem with HK line is availability of parts, for **** sake send out the extended rail guards with 16.5 barrel... The rail guard is not that heavy, it is very tough and durable, but I'm sure they could have made that lighter...

I sure the MR556 will be fine with a shot dot T1, probably want to go bare bones on this one..or just irons.

I don't know someone compare it to other rifles on youtube, get nutnfancy too do it...

WillC
02-18-11, 19:48
Remember that this is MR223. Anyway, why would notch have anything to do with carrier tilt?

BTW In my MR223 carrier tilt is non existent. At least there are not traces of such on buffer tube after some 3000+ rounds.

Ah... so it is a MR223 and not the MR556, I did not notice.

My tilt question was if the notch in the front of the BCG might act to counter any of the down torquing during the unlock movement, also, what additional reciever wear (if any) have you seen?

Would you mind taking a picture of the inside of the reciever where the notch would index?

Frens
02-19-11, 02:31
will the MR556 have the same notch?

My tilt question was if the notch in the front of the BCG might act to counter any of the down torquing during the unlock movement

I dont think so due to its rounded shape.
that notch on the MR223 is there just to avoid the use of FA military 416 BCG

Would you mind taking a picture of the inside of the reciever where the notch would index?

the notch is part of the barrel extension

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1699/11610510.jpg

variablebinary
02-19-11, 03:02
Another one has popped up on GB.

MSRP is still holding strong for now, but at least there is no SCAR type ignorance/madness

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=216690339

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/216690000/216690339/pix022961853.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/216690000/216690339/pix768448002.jpg

montrala
02-19-11, 14:54
My tilt question was if the notch in the front of the BCG might act to counter any of the down torquing during the unlock movement, also, what additional reciever wear (if any) have you seen?

Frens already put nice illustration of notch. It's only purpose is to not allow HK416 FA bolt carrier to be drop fitted into MR223/556.

As to receiver wear there is none due to carrier tilt. There is some in form on worn out anodizing in bolt pin area. But this wear formed in first 100 rounds and did not increase since. Actually HK put there relief cut that prevents bolt pin from dragging on receiver.

Actually funny thing how several features that other companies needed years to develop were there in HK416 6+ years ago...

WillC
02-19-11, 22:03
I was under the impression that the notch will be a part of the MR556.

My concern is issues that have popped up in 416's in excess of 20,000+ rounds and adding in another "feature" IOT eliminate the ability to swap one bolt for another, adds in another unknown and AFAIK a relatively untested, potential problem point, changing how the reciprocating bolt carrier assembly interacts with the receiver and barrel extension… or possibly this is will take stresses of the bolt and minimize the previous issues.

The carrier tilt issue and how it affects the extension tube are not the issue that I am concerned with. I know how it interfaces with the notch, and I have seen that picture before, what I was looking for was wear patterns in the receiver that may be indicative of other stresses that may be applied in the early stages of the firing chain when the piston is striking the bolt.

leibermuster
02-20-11, 11:02
I was under the impression that the notch will be a part of the MR556.

My concern is issues that have popped up in 416's in excess of 20,000+ rounds and adding in another "feature" IOT eliminate the ability to swap one bolt for another, adds in another unknown and AFAIK a relatively untested, potential problem point, changing how the reciprocating bolt carrier assembly interacts with the receiver and barrel extension… or possibly this is will take stresses of the bolt and minimize the previous issues.

The carrier tilt issue and how it affects the extension tube are not the issue that I am concerned with. I know how it interfaces with the notch, and I have seen that picture before, what I was looking for was wear patterns in the receiver that may be indicative of other stresses that may be applied in the early stages of the firing chain when the piston is striking the bolt.

+1

I won't be able to tell you for about 2 years or so when I reach 20,000 rds plus...I plan on shooting that rifle a lot this summer and I eagerly want to see what issues if any will arise.. I have quit a few guns I want to shoot so money for ammo has to be dispersed..

Definitely want to see what you guys down South find in regards to performance if I decide to pick up an MR556 or just stay with the MR223.

In all probability though if our DD line ever gets up here, that is my next purchase, excited about there 10.3..