PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster gas key staking.

Plastic Fantastic
09-05-07, 19:35
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum and have read alot about improper staking of the gas key. I own a Bushmaster M4 type, while my wife owns a Colt AR15. I see the significant difference in the staking. The Colt has alot more bite than the Bushy. My question is, has anyone who owns a bushy ever actually had the gas key come loose. The Bushy has more bite then what I have seen on other makes by comparing the pics on this forum. The Bushy hasn't gotten alot of use yet, so I haven't had any problems. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

rayray
09-05-07, 20:27
Wish I could help You. I've owned Bushmaster Rifles for years and have never had any problems. My Bushmasters have preformed Flawlessly.

PropDoc
09-05-07, 21:13
You should be fine if metal is moved. If you are concerned, then stake it some more. Turn it on it's side and use a dulled up chisel to stake it (drive a bit of the little upper ledge into the screws) just be careful to stay off the lower part of the key. Raising metal there could cause the key to drag in the upper. :)

Erick Gelhaus
09-05-07, 22:30
We have several - well over 20, if not a lot more - Bushmasters used within our patrol rifle program. I have had to clean, lock-tite and re-stake at least ten (10) of them. Can't tell how many the other armorer has done.

Erick

Shihan
09-06-07, 15:06
Where are you from there may be someone near by that can help you our there are several you can mail it into here and they will stake it for you.

Plastic Fantastic
09-06-07, 19:27
Where are you from there may be someone near by that can help you our there are several you can mail it into here and they will stake it for you.

I live in upstate New York. I'm in the boonies.

Plastic Fantastic
09-06-07, 19:33
Wish I could help You. I've owned Bushmaster Rifles for years and have never had any problems. My Bushmasters have preformed Flawlessly.

RAYRAY, how many rounds on average did you put through your Bushmasters? At this time, I'm just at the range plinking and trying to get proficient with my carbine. In the future, I plan to compete.
P.S. Thanks for the help everybody.:)

Shihan
09-06-07, 20:16
If you want to send it to me I will do it for free just include a return UPS label or stamps or a Passenger Pigeon. Plinker or not the staking needs to be done right.

neodecker
09-07-07, 06:41
Mine came loose at around 2500 rounds, but was still running didn't notice it until I was cleaning it. I strongly suggest getting all the staking done.

Plastic Fantastic
09-10-07, 08:21
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think before I do to much more shooting, I'll properly stake the key. I'm glad to know at least it won't come loose anytime soon :)

Pat_Rogers
09-10-07, 09:09
Don't be too sure. We have seen 20+ unstaked from the factory at one time, as well as many that would be leakers very early in their life.
It is such a small task to perform, and so easy to catch at the QC stage of the process that it makes me wonder first off why they don't do it, and second if there is a valid QC process at all.

It could be a useful Tier 3 gun, but it seems like it depends on marketing rather then doing it right from the start.

Fortunately, their are other options.

Wayne Dobbs
09-10-07, 14:40
Plastic,

I've seen several BMs with loose carrier keys and all of them were issued service rifles of either LE personnel or contractors in Iraq. My issued M4gery in Iraq had the carrier key come loose and our so-called "armorer" didn't even know the fix, but that's another story.

I've not yet seen a single BM come from the factory with a properly staked carrier key. You should attend one of Pat's classes just to peruse his photo albums of BMs and other low end brands that have defecated in the bedclothes...

Shihan
09-10-07, 16:29
I offered to fix it free for you. "I guess you can lead a horse to water!"

Plastic Fantastic
09-10-07, 20:48
If you want to send it to me I will do it for free just include a return UPS label or stamps or a Passenger Pigeon. Plinker or not the staking needs to be done right.

Shihan, I appreciate the offer. I know several armorers in my area, I'll see if they are able to do it. If not, I'll send it to you. Thank you very much again!

Shihan
09-10-07, 22:51
Okey Dokey, I have a new PMOAKS so it will be done right and counter staked as well.