PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Primer pocket swager [bent the rod]

Thomas M-4
02-10-11, 19:55
Well the title pretty much says it. All right I picked up a RCBS primer pocket swager today. I read the instruction and set it up and ran 30+ cases through it no problem nice and smooth. I then took it apart to reset it up 4-5 cases later the cases started to stick to the rod. Sure enough when I took it apart the rod was bent :confused: I am now scratching my head what did I not do right the second time around.

Paulinski
02-10-11, 21:46
I also bent the rod on my RCBS swager....bought Dillon unit and never looked back....

Thomas M-4
02-10-11, 21:54
Eventually I would like to pick up a dillon superswage. But for now I would just like to get the RCBS one to work. [Or i should say how to re-frame from dicking it up again].

BobM
02-11-11, 09:01
RCBS has great CS, give them a call.

DJK
02-11-11, 16:30
I also bent the rod on my RCBS swager....bought Dillon unit and never looked back....

I had the same problem and the same solution. The Dillon is not inexpensive, but worth the investment.

Steve in PA
02-11-11, 20:27
Sounds like you had the rod extended down too much. In the last 2 years I have reloaded several thousand rounds of .223, and all have been run through the primer swager. The brass I collected is a mix of crimped and non-crimped primers, so it's just easier to run them all through the swager step.

Sounds like you didnt have the rod set up correctly when you reset it.

Thomas M-4
02-11-11, 20:50
Sounds like you had the rod extended down too much. In the last 2 years I have reloaded several thousand rounds of .223, and all have been run through the primer swager. The brass I collected is a mix of crimped and non-crimped primers, so it's just easier to run them all through the swager step.

Sounds like you didnt have the rod set up correctly when you reset it.

Steve you could be right in the instructions it does say to run the rod all the way to stop. The first time I set it up I only finger tighten everything up because I wasn't for sure about the adjustments and wanted to be able to re adjust if necessary. Now that you have said it the reason I took it apart was to re-tighten every thing down because I noticed that it was starting to back off. But jeez it couldn't have been no more than 1/2 - 3/4 turn at most off before I noticed it. Would that be enough to bend that little bastard.

bowfisher
02-12-11, 11:24
Seems as though there is a fine line when setting one up. I bent mine the first time. I just took it out of the press and took a screw driver and bent the rod back to the center. Set it back up and have done 2000 plus on it with no problems.

Thomas M-4
02-15-11, 12:33
Seems as though there is a fine line when setting one up. I bent mine the first time. I just took it out of the press and took a screw driver and bent the rod back to the center. Set it back up and have done 2000 plus on it with no problems.

I didn't think that was going to work at first because it was bent on the straight shaft portion and on the threaded part. But about 45 min fiddling with it in a 5'' vice then chucking it in a drill to clean up the shaft with sandpaper it actually started working. I will still have to pick up a replacement because I couldn't get it perfectly straight but the cases are not sticking to it anymore.
Thanks bowfisher