PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10 22

Mac5.56
02-10-11, 22:26
Hey guys,

Thought this might be a nice change for the GD section of our forum. Lets talk about guns!!! Since there is no area specializing in .22 rifles on the forum I thought I would throw something out to the group here.

I have a Marlin Bolt Action .22LR that is well used (as in Beat To Hell), and still hits accurately, but it is an old rifle. I have been thinking about getting a new .22 semi for general plinking. I am also looking at possibly using it to teach people the basic fundamentals of shooting without breaking the bank. The "cultural" atmosphere regarding the best .22 semi automatic seems to be the Ruger 10 22. Everyone I know has one, and no one can tell me why they bought it, prefer it, or suggest it.

Any thoughts from those among the M4C crowd regarding the best semi .22 on the market?

From my personal observations with the Ruger, my 45 year old dirty Marlin bolt action jams less often in one session then a clean Ruger. I'm not convinced the Ruger is the best semi on the market. It may shoot fast but it chokes on ammo like nothing I've ever seen, and the mags are a pain in the ass to load.

RancidSumo
02-10-11, 23:05
Ruger 10-22's are decent guns but far from the best. Where the 10-22 shines is when you start customizing it because it really is the ultimate .22 for that. If you just want to leave it stock though, the 10-22 is not terribly accurate or reliable.

If I was going to buy a semi-auto .22, I would either buy that Ruger with the intent of completely upgrading it to a rifle worth owning, or, more likely, buy this- http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/

I LOVE my rimfire CZ and am itching to try out their semi-auto offering. I can't recommend it from personal experience except from with the company overall but it is what I would buy.

ucrt
02-10-11, 23:43

I have a variety of 22 rifles and generally recommend a 10-22 over any current models.

BUT my favorite is a Remington 550. It was the first automatic that shoots shorts, longs and long rifles interchangably. It is an all-steel walnut-stocked heavy tube-fed rifle that justs points naturally and shoots great. I think they quit making them in the early '70's and replaced them with the Model 552, which Remington still makes.

My first "real" job was patrolling levees on a rice farm to kill nutrias. The nutrias would make holes in the levees which would eventually wash the levee out. I did this for about 2-months and shot about 4000 rounds. I ended up killing 2 nutrias and about 200 snakes. I remember killing 22 snakes in one day. At the end of the summer, I could hit misc. birds (kerlews, starlins, blackbirds, etc) in flight about 3 out of 5 times.

I did all this with a borrowed Model 550. Been in love with them since.

skyugo
02-11-11, 00:51
the 10/22 is kind of like the ar15. maybe not the "best" design, but certainly a known entity, and really a pleasure to shoot. oh yeah, and huge aftermarket.

Honu
02-11-11, 01:03
I am 47 I think I was about 16 when I got mine for Xmas under the tree from my dad :)

still have it

lethal dose
02-11-11, 01:52
For semi auto I'd go marlin model 60, for bolt I'd go cz, for lever I'd go henry. I'd take the henry above all.

Suwannee Tim
02-11-11, 04:02
....maybe not the "best" design.....

U like to live dangerously skyugo!

This is on my list:

Sako Quad (http://www.sako.fi/sakoquadmodels.php?varmint)

I bought a new Ruger 77-22 and the accuracy was horrible. Sent it back to Ruger and they didn't fix it. Sold it at a big loss. Ruger can kiss my ass.

Rmplstlskn
02-11-11, 11:14
Well, I guess I don't expect a lot out of a semi-auto .22LR carbine... I just expect it to shoot everytime I press the trigger and not jam...

My primary Ruger 10/22 I bought when I was 16 years old (now 44) and I still shoot it all the time. It has NEVER jammed or failed me, ever... I paid $89 for it then.

What more can anyone ask for if PLINKING and fun is what you ask of it...

Rmpl

Icculus
02-11-11, 14:33
I would say 10/22 because of its relatively low base cost and huge aftermarket support. If it doesn't turn out to be what you want exactly you can change it to make it so. I think even more than the AR its the ultimate tinkerer's gun.

I will say factory accuracy is hit or miss. I've seen some factory Ruger barrels that shoot fantastic. Unfortunately for me, my factory barrel shot groups that looked like something out of my 590 12 gauge. A new TacSol barrel fixed those issues though.

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt86/Icculus09/DSC00505small.jpg

I will say that just like with other guns you need to find what ammo(s) work best and sometimes you will run into one that your gun doesn't like or shoot accurately. Is it going to be less forgiving with ammo related issues than a bolt action--perhaps--but mine never "chokes" on ammo repeatedly as you say. Just the occasional dud round which is more of a rimfire issue than and particular rifle models fault.

ETA:

I am also looking at possibly using it to teach people the basic fundamentals of shooting without breaking the bank.

From this perspective; especially if you're talking about very young shooters; I would say the bolt action may be the way to go vs. the auto-loader. Makes it easier to give them a round at a time and control the situation; minimizing the possibility with a new shooter of a rapid "bang, bang, bang, bang, oh shit!"

Avenger29
02-13-11, 09:18
.22s, I love .22s...

The 10/22 is a solid gun, mine has been pretty reliable...but I don't shoot it anymore.

I've got a CZ bolt that gets a lot more use (manual actions to me are more fun with a .22...I can work a bolt, lever, or pump with speed and have a lot of fun) and I've got a S&W M&P 15-22 on layway (cheaper to buy the 15-22 than to put the 10/22 into a Nordic chassis setup, and I'll be happier with the 15-22). I wouldn't be surprised if I hardly every shoot the 10/22 again in my life (but not interested in selling, it was the first gun I brought with my own money and the first decent quality gun I owned).

Best accessories for them (if you are an iron sight guy) is the TechSIGHTS. Cheap, high quality, lots of fun (I do prefer to replace the aperture with an A2 aperture piece, or an A2 same plane). Other than that and an extended mag release (standard on the newer guns, aftermarket on the older guns), mine is stock. One thing I'd consider doing with the 10/22, if I was in the market for one, is buying a blued carbine version and making an M1 Carbine look alike (there is a cool little M1 style stock), and there's somebody (Nodak spud?) who makes M1 Carbine style sights, but the TechSIGHTs are also a great option for this type of project.

bubba04
02-13-11, 09:32
I would vote for marlin model 60 or 795 that can be purchased for 100 bucks with the current rebate. Hard to be out of the box accuracy of the marlin rifles at a fraction of the cost.

kartoffel
02-13-11, 12:26
One thing I'd consider doing with the 10/22, if I was in the market for one, is buying a blued carbine version and making an M1 Carbine look alike (there is a cool little M1 style stock), and there's somebody (Nodak spud?) who makes M1 Carbine style sights, but the TechSIGHTs are also a great option for this type of project.

Thumbs up for Tech Sights here, too. If you're going to run iron sights on a 10/22, I prefer a rear peep.

Nodak Spud is indeed one shop that makes an M1 style rear peep. IIRC it only fits on their their own 10/22 style receiver due to the shape of the top surface. Other non-Ruger receivers include MOA, Volquartsen, Kidd, Tac-Sol, and probably several others. Your options for making a pimptastic 10/22 are pretty much limitless.

skyugo
02-13-11, 13:54
U like to live dangerously skyugo!

This is on my list:

Sako Quad (http://www.sako.fi/sakoquadmodels.php?varmint)

I bought a new Ruger 77-22 and the accuracy was horrible. Sent it back to Ruger and they didn't fix it. Sold it at a big loss. Ruger can kiss my ass.

that's a hell of a nice rifle.
I'm basically focused on 9mm pistols at the moment. I'll get back into 22 stuff someday probably.

LHS
02-13-11, 22:45
I've got an old Norinco TU-33/40, basically a Chinese knock-off of the CZ action in a stock mimicking the old G-33/40 Czech Mauser mountain carbine. It's been a great gun, ever since I was a kid. I've taken squirrel, groundhogs, birds, rabbit, you name it. I plan to teach my boy to shoot with it when he's old enough.

The only downside is that they can't import them anymore. You can still find them around on Gunbroker from time to time, but the prices are pretty rude. I'm glad I got mine when I did.

GermanSynergy
02-14-11, 11:45
I'm kind of on a .22 kick myself. I find myself shooting my GSG5 alot, and have just purchased a Polish .22 trainer from AIM.

I pick it up on Friday when it comes in and can't wait to see how it shoots.

Rmplstlskn
02-15-11, 08:37
With all this .22LR shooting going on, when will the .22LR ammo prices skyrocket? doh!

Rmpl

Icculus
02-15-11, 10:28
With all this .22LR shooting going on, when will the .22LR ammo prices skyrocket? doh!

Rmpl

Don't even think it. During the last ammo shortage nonsense I couldn't even find any .22 because my local Walmart store manager is an avid shooter and he was buying all the .22 first before it even made it on the shelves.

Mac have you thought about an M&P15-22? I don't have one yet but it's high on my list to get. I like all the discussion about other models and since the 15-22 has several threads all its own so I won't derail this one but it seems like it would be total viable for teaching new shooters plus has the added benefit of being a low cost trainer for your AR.

What do you guys think of the Savage bolt action rimfires? I've also been looking at those as a more affordable option than a CZ. I'm also torn on another .22LR vs getting a .22 WMR or 17HMR but that's a whole other discussion:D

500grains
02-15-11, 10:28
The S&W AR-15 style 22 rifle kicks the Ruger's butt. I have worn out three Ruger 10/22s and they do not stack up to a S&W for reliability.

Icculus
02-15-11, 10:37
What exactly have you worn out on the Ruger's?

500grains
02-15-11, 10:40
accuracy goes to hell

Icculus
02-15-11, 10:55
Don't mean to be argumentative but are you saying that the accuracy went to hell because you shot out the barrel or for another reason? You can do that with a 15-22 as well I'm sure. How easy is it to get a replacement S&W barrel and at what cost? You can probably get a 10/22 and a replacement aftermarket barrel (or a truck load of almost brand new take-off factory barrels) for the same price as the 15-22. Now if you want to bad mouth the accuracy (or at least consistent accuracy) of the some of the factory 10/22 barrels I'm with you all day.

Also one of the best things you can do for accuracy on a 10/22 is have to your bolt radius'd and firing pin pinned by someone like these guys.

http://clintrfc.tripod.com/
http://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/

FlyAndFight
02-15-11, 13:03
I've had fun with my 10-22 for years but a few months ago I picked up a SIG522 and since then, the Ruger hasn't seen the outside of the safe...

I highly recommend the SIG522. Solidly built (unlike the Colt .22 garbage) and has yet to give me any kind of trouble at all. Not one jam. Shot mostly Federal bulk ammo from Wally World.

Will surely be picking up another one as a gift for my son.

Safetyhit
02-15-11, 15:55
accuracy goes to hell

I've shot many a different firearm in my 41 years, but the one I shot far more than any other was a 10-22 back on my family's farm in the 80's. I went through 100 and 200 round boxes like they were candy, surely at least 100,000 rounds over a decade or so total. And over that time I had maybe 15-20 FTE's and no discernible loss of accuracy. I could and probably still can hit anything with that gun.

lindertw
02-15-11, 17:04
...everyone I know has one, and no one can tell me why they bought it, prefer it, or suggest it.

Any thoughts from those among the M4C crowd regarding the best semi .22 on the market?..

I have several 10/22's; they're relatively cheap, can be customized with ease, and make excellent teaching platforms for new and/or young shooters. The factory 10-round magazines I have on hand run well and rarely give me any problems; and I've found that with just a little tweaking the factory barrel can shoot very well once you find the ammo it likes...

my 9yo daughter's 10/22 (tech sights and custom stock from an rfc member):
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/nssf_qual_2010.png

my 7yo son's 10/22 (tech sights and custom stock from an rfc member):
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/eal_range_trip2.jpg

my 10/22:
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/2010_new_build.jpg

my 3yo has a stock sitting in the safe waiting for his 7th birthday ;)

good luck with your search!

Phazuka
02-15-11, 17:47
Looking to get my first 10/22 for one of the PROMAG G36 conversion stocks. Anyone know where the best price on a 16" carbine model would be?

lindertw
02-15-11, 18:37
Looking to get my first 10/22 for one of the PROMAG G36 conversion stocks. Anyone know where the best price on a 16" carbine model would be?

check your local pawn shops; you might stumble across a decent used one on the cheap...

500grains
02-15-11, 19:22
Don't mean to be argumentative but are you saying that the accuracy went to hell because you shot out the barrel or for another reason? You can do that with a 15-22 as well I'm sure. How easy is it to get a replacement S&W barrel and at what cost? You can probably get a 10/22 and a replacement aftermarket barrel (or a truck load of almost brand new take-off factory barrels) for the same price as the 15-22. Now if you want to bad mouth the accuracy (or at least consistent accuracy) of the some of the factory 10/22 barrels I'm with you all day.

Also one of the best things you can do for accuracy on a 10/22 is have to your bolt radius'd and firing pin pinned by someone like these guys.

http://clintrfc.tripod.com/
http://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/

I used them to shoot thousands of jackrabbits, not for any type of competition. So I never had one customized at all. For me they needed to shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards and not jam. But when accuracy started to go, I would just get another one. However, my older son helped wear out the last 10/22, and I upgraded him to a pair of the S&W AR15 .22s. I like it because his practice with the .22 is transferrable to the AR15. And he does not complain if I limit him to 200 rounds of 5.56 in a shooting session as long as he also gets 500 rounds on the S&W .22.

montanadave
04-29-11, 13:01
Pulling up an old thread because I just got an email saying Ruger has a new 10/22 25-rd magazine (the BX-25). I know there have always been some feeding problems/complaints with aftermarket higher capacity 10/22 mags and I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to try one of these new Ruger mags?

usmcvet
04-30-11, 08:46
My first gun was a Marlin mod 60. I still have it and it is with out a doubt the gun I've shot the most rounds with. I would walk out into the woods to a sand pit with my buddy and shoot a brick of .22's on most week end days. I shot it for the first time in years last fall and it all came back to me. My eye sight is not what it used to me but the farmilliar sounds, smells and feel of the gun was awesome. I dont know if it's the tubular magazine but I do not remember serious feeding issues.

carbinero
03-26-13, 10:31
Looks like the best 10/22 thread, so here goes resurrecting it...

From what I hear, many folks say 10/22s never fail. I used 2 of mine and had 2 buddies all fail to eject all day long at Appleseed. Other folks say the mandatory fix is an aftermarket extractor, like Volquartsen, and then no problems thereafter. Even though the problem is ejecting, not extracting, per se. Another fix is not to use cheap ammo anymore (that is, if you could find it anyhow!), just CCI Mini Mags, etc. Has Ruger gone to heck on quality of this area? Why haven't they just fixed this? I have extractors en route, BTW.

austinN4
03-26-13, 11:04
Any thoughts from those among the M4C crowd regarding the best semi .22 on the market?
For me it is the Marlin Model 60 - very reliable and accurate out of the box.

Icculus
03-26-13, 11:23
Looks like the best 10/22 thread, so here goes resurrecting it...

From what I hear, many folks say 10/22s never fail. I used 2 of mine and had 2 buddies all fail to eject all day long at Appleseed. Other folks say the mandatory fix is an aftermarket extractor, like Volquartsen, and then no problems thereafter. Even though the problem is ejecting, not extracting, per se. Another fix is not to use cheap ammo anymore (that is, if you could find it anyhow!), just CCI Mini Mags, etc. Has Ruger gone to heck on quality of this area? Why haven't they just fixed this? I have extractors en route, BTW.

Whether or not its the source of your actual problem; the upgraded extractors can't do anything but help in my opinion. Your ejection issues could be several things but a couple of things you could check.

Look for anything that might be slowing down or hanging up the bolt during its cycle. Most of the 10/22 receivers are painted these days. Check that there isn't a lot of overspray on the inside of the receiver. If there is I would sand it out so its smooth. Also take a look at your charging handle in general or more specifically your guide rod. Many times they will be somewhat rough with burs that could be slowing down the action. You can either polish the rod or go with one of the slicked up aftermarket units such as.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC10EB-B&Category_Code=BBuf

Hope it helps.

carbinero
03-26-13, 12:24
Thanks for the suggestions. I have read the problem is NOT the extractor, but that the upgraded extractor overcomes the actual problem(s). My models are my friends' are either stainless or compact, so they should be immune to the paint on the inside of the receiver problem I read about the basic/Walmart model. From memory, I don't think mine had issues with MiniMags, so perhaps those overcame the same problem(s) that a better extractor would. Anyhow, as above, I feel it's the best platform due to the ubiquity and support. I like the robust removable magazine. The skinny mags on Marlins and Rems, etc. look like they'd be prone to problems if the rifle is bumped on them. I've had a few tube 22s which were good shooters, however training with detachable mags is important to me.

Hmac
03-26-13, 12:58
Although I never had a failure to extract, I did a lot of work on my 10-22.

First thing I did was strip the receiver, sand it and polish it. I upgraded the bolt to a Kidd bolt (with VQ extractor) with a Kidd recoil spring and rod and a Kidd buffer. The thing runs like a sewing machine.

If my 10-22 wasn't running right, FTE, first thing I'd do would be to send the bolt off to Que Boltworks (https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/). For $65 he will polish it, radius it, square the face, pin the firing pin, set the headspace, and install a VQ extractor. Money well spent.

brickboy240
03-26-13, 13:41
The Ruger 10-22 is very average until you start modding it out.

If you want a super accurate 22 right off the shelf, go grab one of the Remington22LR bolt guns made in the 50s-70s. The Models 510, 511, 512 and 514. I'd also throw in the 550 semi-auto.

All of these can be had for around 100 bucks or so in a pawn shop. All are made of steel, wood and no pot metal or cast parts. All have decent sights and triggers. All are pretty accurate...more so if you mount a scope on them.

I have a 10-22 that is lightly modded buy my Remington 511, 512 and 550 are much more accurate and fun to shoot.

I also have a Winchester Model 63, Winchester Model 62 pump and an S&W M&P-15-22. Love them all.

Bad thing is ...man... 22LR ammo is REAL HARD to find around here and has been for the past 3.5 months. The 9mm and 223 seems to be coming back to the shelves as are the ARs but no rimfire ammo anywhere. Why is this?

-brickboy240

Icculus
03-26-13, 13:54
My models are my friends' are either stainless or compact, so they should be immune to the paint on the inside of the receiver problem I read about the basic/Walmart model. From memory, I don't think mine had issues with MiniMags, so perhaps those overcame the same problem(s) that a better extractor would.

Even on the "stainless" models its only the barrels that are stainless before they are painted. The receivers are aluminum and painted silver so they still can have paint on the inside.

Mine loves MiniMags and so that's pretty much as high as I go in the premium .22lr ammo world. Luckily for me it also shoots Federal bulk pack just about as well. Every rifle is different though. Just stay away from the Winchester 333 hollow point boxes. That stuff is crap.

ETA: I guess I should correct myself a touch. Depending on age I guess its possible that if you have an older 10/22 the receiver could be annodized in which case you are correct that it wouldn't be painted. Of course its still aluminum and not "stainless" :) The newer stainless models have a crinkle coat silver paint while I think some stainless models back in the day had a clear coat over the bare aluminum. Not sure of years of production but its been silver paint for a while.

J-Dub
03-26-13, 14:36
Step your game up and go for a John Moses Browning design, preferably one made in Belgium. But even the Jap made versions are better than a 10/22, unless we're talking a VQ or Kidd version.

Browning SA-22.

citizensoldier16
03-26-13, 17:36
Personally, I own a 10-22 which is adorned with a Tasco 4-12 scope. It's a decent rifle, given its limitations.

However, the most accurate .22 rifle I own is an $80 bolt-action Romanian .22 trainer. Do a Google search and you'll find a picture. It's got flip-up sights set at 25, 50, and 100 yards accompanied by a hooded front sight. I have to say, it's a tack-driver out to about 75 yards.

I was lucky enough to obtain three five-round magazines for it (they're impossible to find nowadays) and I absolutely love it. If given the choice, I'd grab the Romanian over the 10-22 any day.

brickboy240
03-26-13, 17:47
I already have a John Browning designed 22 rifle.

The Model 62 Winchester is basically an 1890 Winchester with a different stock and sights - round barrel versus octagon. Same basic action.

...and yeah...a Browning designed 22 rifle IS a great thing!

LOL

-brickboy240

carbinero
03-26-13, 18:43
Even on the "stainless" models its only the barrels that are stainless before they are painted. The receivers are aluminum and painted silver so they still can have paint on the inside.

That is the stupidest thing I've heard of. Ruger should be ashamed. Hope the $12 Volq extractor fixes the problem. I do love the ubiquity of the platform and flush mags.

djegators
03-26-13, 20:57
I think the 10/22 is an excellent option. Easily one of the most customizable firearms out there, ranks with the AR, 1911, and maybe a Rem 700.

A few simple upgrades are mandatory for me: extended mag release, auto bolt release, and a synthetic buffer. I also prefer a recoil pad for the stock to make the length of pull more manageable for me. If you using open sights, I like the Williams Firesights, otherwise a decent variable scope works well.

To go on a tangent, I have a "10/22" bench rest rifle, that can shoot dime groups at 50 yards, that has not one original Ruger 10/22 part on it.

http://i51.tinypic.com/eio3lw.jpg

(this pic was taken while I was waiting for my Weaver 24X target scope)

Notice the AR style charging handle:

http://i56.tinypic.com/33ma00h.jpg

carbinero
03-26-13, 21:16
Funny you mentioned firesights. The compact model comes with fiber optics...leaned it against a tree, slid over and the plastic red part broke. Reminds me of el cheapo sights on a Kel Tec sub2000 9mm I used to have before graduating to the AR-15 platform. The sights still work--and you're right, they are better than the standard Ruger ones--but can't compare to Tech Sights :happy: FTW.

Ouroborous
03-26-13, 22:10
Marlin 795 with tech sights is my preference. I found it to be real accurate out of the box (especially with wolf match target ammo) and affordable--I spent more on mags for it than I did on the gun

I also like that there aren't a million mods out there for it like the 10/22--makes it real easy to be done with it and just shoot the piss out of it.

J-Dub
03-26-13, 22:22
I think the 10/22 is an excellent option. Easily one of the most customizable firearms out there, ranks with the AR, 1911, and maybe a Rem 700.

A few simple upgrades are mandatory for me: extended mag release, auto bolt release, and a synthetic buffer. I also prefer a recoil pad for the stock to make the length of pull more manageable for me. If you using open sights, I like the Williams Firesights, otherwise a decent variable scope works well.

To go on a tangent, I have a "10/22" bench rest rifle, that can shoot dime groups at 50 yards, that has not one original Ruger 10/22 part on it.

http://i51.tinypic.com/eio3lw.jpg

(this pic was taken while I was waiting for my Weaver 24X target scope)

Notice the AR style charging handle:

http://i56.tinypic.com/33ma00h.jpg

I would venture to say that there are 0 ruger parts on that rifle. Its cool and all, but I prefer to not blow 1k on a .22lr, as the whole point of the .22lr is to save money.

Cool rifle though.

djegators
03-27-13, 06:30
I would venture to say that there are 0 ruger parts on that rifle. Its cool and all, but I prefer to not blow 1k on a .22lr, as the whole point of the .22lr is to save money.

Cool rifle though.

Different guns for different reasons. I have a stock 10/22 as well, with a few upgrades, and $99 scope on it.

Hmac
03-27-13, 08:09

Heh. I started out with a "few simple upgrades", ended up with this. The receiver is 1992 vintage, now is the only Ruger part on the rifle. Not a bench rest rifle, but extraordinarily accurate.

http://SSEquine.net/ruger1022mod2sannotated.jpg

brickboy240
03-27-13, 10:19
Our 10-22 was one of the stainless models and yes..only the barrel itself was stainless.

In fact, the cheapo paint on the receiver and trigger group turned an ugly chalky white when we cleaned the rifle using Gun Scrubber. Odd because we use Gun Scrubber on other non-steel gun parts (like Glock frames and the alloy receiver of a Beretta semi-auto 12ga) and it does not turn the finish.

The silver paint Ruger used was crap. We ended up Crea-koting the silver painted parts to get them back.

Ruger cut some serious corners on the silver finish of the "stainless" 10-22. If we had known this...I would have bought the blued version.

-brickboy240

Hmac
03-27-13, 12:58
Our 10-22 was one of the stainless models and yes..only the barrel itself was stainless.

In fact, the cheapo paint on the receiver and trigger group turned an ugly chalky white when we cleaned the rifle using Gun Scrubber. Odd because we use Gun Scrubber on other non-steel gun parts (like Glock frames and the alloy receiver of a Beretta semi-auto 12ga) and it does not turn the finish.

The silver paint Ruger used was crap. We ended up Crea-koting the silver painted parts to get them back.

Ruger cut some serious corners on the silver finish of the "stainless" 10-22. If we had known this...I would have bought the blued version.

-brickboy240

Ruger's treatment of their receivers is generally pretty rough. They use paint, especially crinkle paint in later years, to hide the tooling marks.

I've stripped several 10-22 receivers down to aluminum with excellent results but it is kind of labor-intensive (see above photo). I start with a paint stripper to scrape the paint off, then bead blast (simple Harbor Freight attachment for my air compressor) to get the rest off, then a fair amount of hand sanding with wet-dry sandpaper progressively up to 1200 grit, then some time on a fine buffing wheel with red jeweler's rouge. It polishes up very nice. As mentioned, getting the paint off the inside of the receiver can definitely have a beneficial effect on the smoothness of the bolt.

Cerakoting is certainly an option but Cerakoting won't hide the tool marks, so the stripping and sanding is something one would probably want to do whether you leave it as polished aluminum or Cerakoted aluminum.

I've seen guys do the same polishing to the trigger housing, but I prefer Ruger's polymer housing rather than their older metal ones so I've never bothered.

Icculus
03-27-13, 15:43

-brickboy240

Just like the "stainless" versions don't have stainless receivers and the stainless refers to the barrel; the "blued" versions don't have blued receivers (just blued barrels). All factory 10/22 receivers have always been aluminum. They are just painted to make them look "blued" and that paint is just as crappy as the silver.

E2A: HMAC, how do you like the TG2000 trigger? I'm getting ready to start acquiring the parts for another 10/22 build (to go with my super lightweight on page 1) and I'm torn on which trigger group between the VQ and and a KIDD 2 stage (undecided on pull weight, maybe 1lb on each stage).

Hmac
03-27-13, 18:07
E2A: HMAC, how do you like the TG2000 trigger? I'm getting ready to start acquiring the parts for another 10/22 build (to go with my super lightweight on page 1) and I'm torn on which trigger group between the VQ and and a KIDD 2 stage (undecided on pull weight, maybe 1lb on each stage).

I really like the TG2000. Extremely well-made unit and extremely consistent in pull (Lyman gauge). Absolutely no complaints nor any second thoughts.

I have also put in a Kidd trigger job kit (polymer housing) on one rifle and I think that's far more cost-effective at $105 than a complete trigger unit. I've also had a trigger reworked by Brimstone Gunsmithing. I think that was about $35 and is also excellent, although I think I like the Kidd trigger job kit better. If you're looking for a bench rest trigger, though, I'd bet that the Kidd two-stage is superb. Tony Kidd is like the Prince of Darkness when it comes to triggers.

IMHO, Kidd makes some really outstanding 10-22 upgrade parts. I'm a huge fan.

usmcvet
03-27-13, 18:15
I want one of these SBR'd! They don't have any in stock. I'm going to buy a bbl and rail from them and look for a donor 10-22 locally!

http://www.agparms.com/complete-agp-take-down-10-22-sbr/

http://www.agparms.com/agp-7-25-ss-take-down-barrel/

http://www.agparms.com/aluminum-multi-slot-hand-guard/

http://www.agparms.com/agp-front-iron-sights/