PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Suppressed - PRI Gasbuster or BCM Gunfighter?

Kiwi
02-10-11, 23:05
Does anyone know if the BCM could eliminate gas leaking back to shooter's face like the PRI does?

Thx

glocktogo
02-10-11, 23:09
Gunfighter with the Silicone mod works just as well and it's a much more durable CH, not to mention cheaper.

Kiwi
02-10-11, 23:24
Yeah got all my 4 AR's CH with silicone Mod., great idea for gas coming at you on top. But the PRI has this channel at the bottom to "guide" the gas going sideway, so in "theory" shouldnt the PRI be better? Or anyone here has experience on this?

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 01:23
I use both and I can't say that I honestly see a huge difference.

Yeah got all my 4 AR's CH with silicone Mod., great idea for gas coming at you on top. But the PRI has this channel at the bottom to "guide" the gas going sideway, so in "theory" shouldnt the PRI be better? Or anyone here has experience on this?

BooneGA
02-11-11, 07:46
Theres that fact and the fact that the PRI Gas busters break regularly..

Rick

sammage
02-11-11, 10:06
Get the BCM CH, and try this trick: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle

Kiwi
02-11-11, 11:03
Get the BCM CH, and try this trick: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/do-it-yourself-gas-buster-charging-handle

yeah done all that on all 4 of my AR's

Kiwi
02-11-11, 11:03
Theres that fact and the fact that the PRI Gas busters break regularly..

Rick

Mind telling us exactly where and how they broke?

thx

philipeggo
02-11-11, 11:07

thx

I would also like to know this since i was gonna buy one. Thanks!

Brian1/75
02-11-11, 11:17
Hum, had a PRI on my military gat, as well as I recall SPRs coming with one. Never seen one break, and you can imagine those rifles had some rounds through them.

Kiwi
02-11-11, 11:27
Hum, had a PRI on my military gat, as well as I recall SPRs coming with one. Never seen one break, and you can imagine those rifles had some rounds through them.

Thats what I thought, as I got both and from the "looks" and "feel" of them, I do not "see" why BCM being more robust than PRI. If I had to choose which one is stronger I would have chosen the PRI as it has less play when its in fully forward position.

Not trying to start an argument but just want to be more educated from you guys here who have more experience on them.

thx

Dano5326
02-11-11, 12:14
Silicon and a path for gas to exit works. If your not shooting suppressed maybe not an issue.

m249saw
02-11-11, 12:17
The latch design is where the BCM picks up some durability.

vicious_cb
02-11-11, 12:40

thx

I wasn't even doing any violent malfunction clearing when my CH roll pin broke and sent my latch and spring flying to high grass.

philipeggo
02-11-11, 17:02
I wasn't even doing any violent malfunction clearing when my CH roll pin broke and sent my latch and spring flying to high grass.

I dont know that i would take that as proof that the BCM is more durable. shit happens and sometimes people fall asleep at the factory. Cest la vie.

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 17:11
All of the ones I have seen (last one was last year in A'stan) failed due to the roll pin breaking. It was replaced with a Gunfighter handle. Paul sent some as a thank you to the troops deal.

thx

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 17:14
Roll pins breaking is why PRI went to the new solid steel type pin. If you look at the BCM design the design alleviates the stress on that area.

Thats what I thought, as I got both and from the "looks" and "feel" of them, I do not "see" why BCM being more robust than PRI. If I had to choose which one is stronger I would have chosen the PRI as it has less play when its in fully forward position.

Not trying to start an argument but just want to be more educated from you guys here who have more experience on them.

thx

BooneGA
02-11-11, 18:50
A significant portion were the roll pin breaking however I saw at least 3 or 4 that the metal flat out just broke near the roll pin joint.

And it wasnt all violent manipulations either. At least 2 Rangers had theirs break as they were charging their rifles as we were prepping our kit on the FOB prior to rolling out.

Rick

Joe R.
02-11-11, 18:56
Sammage, thanks for the link on the RTV mod.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-11-11, 20:19
Ive seen many, MANY, PRI GB's in the military, never seen one break. Hmmm.

C4IGrant
02-11-11, 20:22
All of the ones I have seen (last one was last year in A'stan) failed due to the roll pin breaking. It was replaced with a Gunfighter handle. Paul sent some as a thank you to the troops deal.

Bingo.

C4

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 20:39
It doesn't negate the fact that it does and has happened. I actually have the one from A'stan that broke here at my house. I repaired it using a solid steel pin, and then a few small stakings.

It also happens with regular charging handles as well. There is no design difference (correct me if I am wrong) in the roll pin area.

Ive seen many, MANY, PRI GB's in the military, never seen one break. Hmmm.

TehLlama
02-12-11, 01:36
The roll pin is the weak point of the charging handle design - the BCM is a design solution, but I also figure that the material solution of a solid steel roll pin will likely reduce failure instances significantly, I still credit BCM with demonstrating that it could be done better.

I'd happily pay needlessly higher prices for a Gunfighter with a gas route, and do the RTV fix, but I'm sitting on a pair of GB's that I'm quite happy with, and I own two cans, and everything else wears a Gunfighter, so that seems like I'm done spending money on it for now.

JSantoro
02-12-11, 09:43
If I had to choose which one is stronger I would have chosen the PRI as it has less play when its in fully forward position.

Emphasis mine. That sentence reads to say that "fit 'n' finish" are what you take as evidence of strength. Engineers the world over are all collectively wincing, and none of them know why. Like how the Force cried out when Alderaan got all blowed up....

The thing was designed by Vltor for BCM, and in such a way as to significantly reduce or remove the stress from the roll pin. It's clearly the stronger design by a far margin than anything else in which ALL of the stress is loaded onto a 1/16" roll pin, whatever it's made of. The cutaway views of the latch design and how it works may be found here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37181

Wanna make a gas-buster out of one of any charging handle you have? Voila....http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10446

As with many things on an AR, a thing having less play than another, similar thing is no automatic indicator of anything, except perhaps some greater spring tension, and certainly not in any way something to be taken for greater or lesser structural strength.

Well, that's not really true; having some play is a pretty damned good automatic indicator that somebody, somewhere out there will vapor-lock on it and come to a silly conclusion about what it means.

yhmspecter
02-13-11, 22:19
Well my Gunfighter now has this RTV mod, Thanks

flanntastic
02-13-11, 22:27
the PRI works better for gas than the RTV mod, i have both and moved the RTV to my .22lr upper.

Fontaine
02-14-11, 18:57
I managed to break one of my PRI gas buster's roll pin myself, and I'm not even a hard user (1 carbine a class a year? A monthly tactical rifle match?).

I use a "AR Gas Vent" along with a RTV'ed BCM gunfighter to combat gas face. I was lucky enough to have a run a (somewhat) scientific test with my buddy: we both went to Magpul Carbine 2, and on one day we both ran 14.5", carbine gas, AAC M4-2000 uppers. After 700-800 rounds my buddy had a thick, dark mark on his face from lubricant and gas blow back, whereas I had only a little bit of carbon specks here and there

http://www.pbase.com/image/129630129.jpg