PDA

View Full Version : BCM upper?

Tommato
02-11-11, 07:28
Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time identifying the most cost effective way to buy a BCM upper and get to something like this, with no A2 FSB and a flip-up front sight and Magpul MOE handguard:
http://www.cologunmarket.com/mkt/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17738

I have been looking at this upper from BCM:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw.htm

My question is what do I need to do to get to the type of configuration I'm after? I would prefer to not pay for an A2 FSB that I don't plan to use. I guess if BCM offered a folding style A2 FSB on the upper I'm looking at, it would be ideal since I could just add the MOE handguard and be done. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Tommato

rjacobs
02-11-11, 07:55
Its just a change of gas block. Not a hard operation. An FSB is only adding like 30 bucks to the price of an upper so its not a big cost issue.

BCM has several gas block's with flip up front sights on them, I am sure they can build you something like that.

Or you could contact Grant at G&R and I am sure he also can build you something like that.

Eric D.
02-11-11, 10:45
Unless you're set on getting the lightweight, I'd look at their standard midlength upper. Its only $375 and I think they are still in stock.

The_War_Wagon
02-11-11, 11:05
I bought one off the classifieds here! :D Never hurts to check!

Vern
02-11-11, 11:38
Unless you're set on getting the lightweight, I'd look at their standard midlength upper. Its only $375 and I think they are still in stock.

Went up to $399 but still a great deal.

Tommato
02-11-11, 13:32
I get it - and yes - the upper I'm looking at is indeed $399. However, that only tells me what I already know.

The thread is about changing the fixed A2 FSB to either a folding FSB, or changing the gas block to a gas block with a rail for mounting a flip-up front sight. If anyone has any inputs relative to this, or else where to buy an inexpensive upper like the BCM with a better front sight solution for the direction I want to go, that would be greatly appreciated.

Tommato

SteveL
02-11-11, 13:43
I suggest you contact Grant at G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home), as mentioned above. I've seen a couple of people post on this site that Grant was able to accommodate them and build/assemble a configuration to their liking that isn't normally available through his regular website.

Tommato
02-11-11, 13:56
Thanks Steve and RJacobs - I'll get in touch with Grant.

Tommato

Tommato
02-11-11, 14:18
Just received the following response from Grant:

Hello,

MOE HG’s need a handguard cap. You don’t want to use this with any type of bolt on front sight/gas block. Now if you were going with a free float rail, that would be something different.

Thanks,
Grant

It sounds like I'm SOL with a high-quality upper like BCM with MOE guard and folding front sight. Oh well - back to square one.

OK, forget about BCM - does anyone know of a 16" mid-length upper that I can put an MOE on and have a folding front site - without the expense of a free floating handguard?

Thanks,
Tommato

SteveL
02-11-11, 14:28
I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that the upper you're looking at is made by BCM. If I understand Grant's response correctly it sounds like the combination of MOE handguards with any kind of clamp on gas block/front sight is not a good idea. It wouldn't matter who the upper was made by.

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 14:30
Tommato,

You are overthinking this. Keep the FSB and go with that.

Tommato
02-11-11, 15:09
Guys - got it. Let me try a somewhat different approach?

Lets say I want a mid-length 16" upper, and I want a folding front sight. What is the most cost-effective way to get both with good quality components? I'm totally open to considering any approach that meets these goals - I just assumed (wrongly) that I could get there with the BCM inexpensive upper.

If the answer is that there is no inexpensive way to get where I want to go, I'll live with that - and maybe change my mind about what I'm after. However, if thats the case I must conclude there is a big market need given the tons of ARs I see with folding front sights...

THANKS,
Tommato

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 15:41
Just one question. Why the fascination with the folding sight? If you are going to use a folding sight I personally do not think that mounting it in an MOE type handguard is suitable.

You are going to want a rail system, preferably free floating. Here is an option for you.

Buy the BCM standard mid length upper receiver group. Get a Dremel tool and cut the FSB off. Get a rail system like the JP VTAC or Midwest Industries rail. That will run you anywhere from 520.00 to 580.00.

Guys - got it. Let me try a somewhat different approach?

Lets say I want a mid-length 16" upper, and I want a folding front sight. What is the most cost-effective way to get both with good quality components? I'm totally open to considering any approach that meets these goals - I just assumed (wrongly) that I could get there with the BCM inexpensive upper.

If the answer is that there is no inexpensive way to get where I want to go, I'll live with that - and maybe change my mind about what I'm after. However, if thats the case I must conclude there is a big market need given the tons of ARs I see with folding front sights...

THANKS,
Tommato

Tommato
02-11-11, 16:09
Iraqgunz - thanks, and I'll look into that. I want a low-profile optic mount (probably an Eotech 512, but looking at Aimpoints as well), and co-witnessing doesn't work well for my bad eyes. My preference is an unobstructed view thru the optic. Hence the folding front sight.

What would I do if I absolutely HAD to have a fixed FSB? Probably buy a riser or other type of mount that put the optic over the sight...however I know that won't be the case since so many flattop ARs with folding front sights. Would probably save up to buy a free-floating guard and put a folding front sight on top of that. Sounds like that will probably be the direction I go.

THANKS - by the way. I really appreciate your help and feedback - very much!!!!

Tommato

Iraqgunz
02-11-11, 16:28
In my honest opinion if you have a fold down rear sight and a fixed FSB and you use a red dot I don't think it will be a real issue for you as you will look past the FSB.

They do make risers that will mount to the flat top and then put the red dot on that.

Iraqgunz - thanks, and I'll look into that. I want a low-profile optic mount (probably an Eotech 512, but looking at Aimpoints as well), and co-witnessing doesn't work well for my bad eyes. My preference is an unobstructed view thru the optic. Hence the folding front sight.

What would I do if I absolutely HAD to have a fixed FSB? Probably buy a riser or other type of mount that put the optic over the sight...however I know that won't be the case since so many flattop ARs with folding front sights. Would probably save up to buy a free-floating guard and put a folding front sight on top of that. Sounds like that will probably be the direction I go.

THANKS - by the way. I really appreciate your help and feedback - very much!!!!

Tommato