PDA

View Full Version : New Colt 6920 Purchase

roadstar
09-06-07, 09:41
I guess I spent a little too much time reading this forum, because I sold my Bushmaster M4gery with Eotech 512 and I am now going to purchase a Colt 6920 with Aimpoint Comp M3. It seems I've picked up in reading somewhere that their might be some slight differences in new production 6920's (shipped with 20 round mags?) and the older ones.

-Are there any differences?
-Does it matter?
-If yes and yes, when did the change take place and how do I know if I have the weapon I want?

Sorry if this has all been spelled out before.

Thanks for any input. This $ is burning a hole in my pocket!

C4IGrant
09-06-07, 12:24
I guess I spent a little too much time reading this forum, because I sold my Bushmaster M4gery with Eotech 512 and I am now going to purchase a Colt 6920 with Aimpoint Comp M3. It seems I've picked up in reading somewhere that their might be some slight differences in new production 6920's (shipped with 20 round mags?) and the older ones.

-Are there any differences?
-Does it matter?
-If yes and yes, when did the change take place and how do I know if I have the weapn I want?

Sorry if this has all been spelled out before.

Thanks for any input. This $ is burning a hole in my pocket!

Most any 6920 you find on the net or in a gun shop is most likely new production as they do not sit around much. So I wouldn't worry about it.

C4

Safetyhit
09-06-07, 19:03
Grant is right, but the main difference you are likely referring to is the full auto bolt that the "newer" Colt 6920's have.

Shihan
09-06-07, 20:06
Its good to see that they are putting those in now.

Shihan
09-07-07, 00:46
probably ben asked a squillion times but what type pins are coming in the newer 6920's?

roadstar
09-07-07, 06:16
Well Grant, I took your advice and didn't worry about it. Picked up my brand new 6920 last night after work. Box was still taped from the factory, never opened.

Didn't really need it, but I took home 500 more rounds of XM193 as well for $175. I was going to save that money for the Aimpoint purchase, but the way ammo is going up and getting harder to find I figured I'd better get while the getting is good.

Hope to get out this weekend and put 200 or 300 rounds through it and give it a little work out.

shihan,

Don't know about the pin size on the new rifle. Someone with more technical knowledge than me will have to answer that one. I've never messed with the trigger group on any of my AR's.

Robb Jensen
09-07-07, 06:19
probably ben asked a squillion times but what type pins are coming in the newer 6920's?

All semi-auto Colt Defense guns (6920s, 6721s, 6520s etc) have large Colt trigger and hammer pins .170" (standard pins are .154"). Some of the Colt's Manufacturing Co. guns have the larger pins as well.

There are aftermarket triggers for these if you want them. In my 6721 I'm using a stock trigger and disconnector (and springs) a Colt low-mass hammer with a Colt 'blue' spring which makes for a reliable but nicer trigger.

jackinfl
09-07-07, 07:20
Robb,
Do you know if the MT6400C is the same FCG pin sizes, as the 6920? I believe they are, right? If I remember and you wrote above the differences are on the different sides of the Colt house Manufacturing VS Defense.

Thanks,
Jack

Abdon
09-07-07, 07:21
Well Grant, I took your advice and didn't worry about it. Picked up my brand new 6920 last night after work. Box was still taped from the factory, never opened.

Didn't really need it, but I took home 500 more rounds of XM193 as well for $175. I was going to save that money for the Aimpoint purchase, but the way ammo is going up and getting harder to find I figured I'd better get while the getting is good.

Hope to get out this weekend and put 200 or 300 rounds through it and give it a little work out.

shihan,

Don't know about the pin size on the new rifle. Someone with more technical knowledge than me will have to answer that one. I've never messed with the trigger group on any of my AR's.

Hello there!
I too recently purchased a 6920 at a local gunshow. I have already shot over 500 rounds through the rifle, and I absolutely LOVE the gun!
I think you made an excellent purchase!
There are many other fine makers of AR 15's out there, but imho, Colt is THE BEST!!!!

Congrats!!!

Abdon

Robb Jensen
09-07-07, 07:39
Robb,
Do you know if the MT6400C is the same FCG pin sizes, as the 6920? I believe they are, right? If I remember and you wrote above the differences are on the different sides of the Colt house Manufacturing VS Defense.

Thanks,
Jack

IIRC the 6400 does have the bigger pins. I like those lowers even better than my AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine marked 6721.

glklvr
09-07-07, 07:55
I picked up my second 6920 a couple of days ago. Rumor had it that they had gone to the smaller .154 pins. While it did have the M16 bolt carrier, it did NOT have standard FCG pins. They are still .170 pins.

Robb Jensen
09-07-07, 07:57
I picked up my second 6920 a couple of days ago. Rumor had it that they had gone to the smaller .154 pins. While it did have the M16 bolt carrier, it did NOT have standard FCG pins. They are still .170 pins.

I'm 99% sure that the only guns getting .154" pins from Colt are registered full-autos.

Bob Reed
09-07-07, 08:46
Hello,

I'm really wanting a coupla 6920's myself.

I know they have the larger FCG pins, but, what about the sear block?

If I understand correctly, a few years back Colt stopped using the pinned block and added a web in the lower that blocks the sear.

If this is correct, can the web be removed? Or does it also act as a stop for the selector, or, do the current 6920's have the two bosses on the exterior of the lower that the selector stops against?

It sure would be nice if Colt cared more about what their customers thought than worring about the anti-gunners.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Safetyhit
09-07-07, 09:05

One of the best experiences out there...always exciting to pick up a new gun. :D

glklvr
09-07-07, 11:59
I'm 99% sure that the only guns getting .154" pins from Colt are registered full-autos.

That is what I understand as well.

glklvr
09-07-07, 12:02
Hello,

I'm really wanting a coupla 6920's myself.

I know they have the larger FCG pins, but, what about the sear block?

If I understand correctly, a few years back Colt stopped using the pinned block and added a web in the lower that blocks the sear.

If this is correct, can the web be removed? Or does it also act as a stop for the selector, or, do the current 6920's have the two bosses on the exterior of the lower that the selector stops against?

It sure would be nice if Colt cared more about what their customers thought than worring about the anti-gunners.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Yes, I believe they do have a raised shelf that prevents installation of the auto sear. It is unmilled as part of the receiver, so to remove it would take some milling work.

They do not have the exterior stops for the selector.

Mike729
09-07-07, 14:11
The top one is a Colt 6933 lower, the bottom one a KAC SR-15 Post ban lower, just to give you an idea.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/mdl729_photos/AR/IMG_1366-1.jpg

Bob Reed
09-07-07, 15:10
Hello & Thanks for the replies, glklvr & Mike729.

The web shown in the photo of the 6933 sure is better than the pinned block in my Colt.

Thanks Again.

GONIF
09-07-07, 16:39
I would rather have the web on the inside than the ears on outside . just looks better . in a perfect world no web no ears and $800.00 retail .:rolleyes:

doc45
09-07-07, 23:10
I too just picked up a new 6920. It has the full auto bolt (I incorrectly thought it had the .154" pins, it does in fact have the .170" pins). Saturday is the first range session, can't wait. I've been without one since February, glad to have a pony back in the safe. 1st time with an Eotech (used Aimpoint in the past) so really looking forward to see how that is to work with.

Good luck roadstar, enjoy!

camper
09-09-07, 07:18
I also bought a 6920 three weeks ago and it is a great rifle. Used it in an NRA military rifle match two weeks ago after first setting the zero at 200 yards. It did a great job. Have a Bushnell 3200 9x10x40 scope set up for the flat top which I will zero this week.

doc45
09-09-07, 10:10
Here's a quick pic. Sighted it in yesterday, both the Eotech & ARMS buis were almost dead on at 50yds. Once I got it dialed in, moved to 100 to check that, then back to 50 to shoot offhand. I like it!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/doc4545/IMG_0860.jpg

Safetyhit
09-09-07, 19:40
Here's a quick pic. Sighted it in yesterday, both the Eotech & ARMS buis were almost dead on at 50yds. Once I got it dialed in, moved to 100 to check that, then back to 50 to shoot offhand. I like it!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/doc4545/IMG_0860.jpg

Either you bought it like that (unlikely, but possible I suppose), or you did some serious work before your first range session with the "new" gun. :confused:

Looks nice.;)

doc45
09-09-07, 21:18
Safetyhit, thanks! What can I say, I know what I like. The gun started out as a box stock 6920.

I'm no stranger to this rifle platform and know I wanted to have the option of easily adding a light or other items down the road, hence the Knights system. I'm a big fan of the Vltor stock, really like the cheek weld I get with it so that was a decision already made. Same goes for the Ergo grip-fits my hand perfectly.

In the past I've used Aimpoint products, really like them but wanted to give the Eotech a dance after trying one on a friend's HK 53, and the ARMS buis, is like an old friend.

roadstar
09-10-07, 07:12
doc 45,

Nice 6920! I plan to add a rail handguard, comp m3, buis and light. For now my 6920 is still bone stock.

Took the new 6920 to the range (back yard) yesterday. Zeroed at 50 and then did drills at 7, 10 and 15 yards. Singles, double taps, hammers, failure drills and alittle shooting on the move. 166 rounds total. I tried to run it pretty fast and get it hot. No issues of any sort. Used the 2, 20 round Colt magazines that came with it plus another 70's vintage colt 20 and some USGI 30's. Gave it a good cleaning after the session and oiled it good before putting it away.

Another couple of thousand rounds this fall and winter and hopefully I'll be ready for a Pat Rogers/Louis Arwbuck/Ken Cambell class at Boon County next spring!:D

Grey
09-10-07, 18:29
Very nice setup. Enjoy.

GONIF
09-11-07, 13:07
That is as close to perfection as it gets,nice rig .:)

doc45
09-11-07, 21:27
Thanks for the compliments. It's a great shooting/handling little carbine. Can't really imagine adding anything else but at least with the RAS I have the option. I'll let my sons fight over this after I'm not around anymore:D.

Valhalla79
11-21-08, 17:31
The top one is a Colt 6933 lower, the bottom one a KAC SR-15 Post ban lower, just to give you an idea.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/mdl729_photos/AR/IMG_1366-1.jpg

The top one looks exactly like my 6920 that was built in '07. My question..... is that webbing going to prevent the installation of a Geissele trigger? I emailed Geisselle and Amy told me that she didn't believe the 6920 had what was referred to as a sear block. I really want one of their triggers but don't want to get it home and it not fit.