PDA

View Full Version : Slabside receivers for civilian ARs in 1988?

OH58D
02-11-11, 11:44
Back in 1988 I bought my first civilian AR. It was a green label R6600 AR-15 A2 HBAR; ribbed handguards, bayonet lug, etc. First thing I noticed was the slabside receiver with no mag release fence.

Now I went in basic training at Fort Knox back in 1978 and the M16 I used then was with the triangle handguards, but had the mag release fence on the receiver. So why was Colt still selling slabside receivers on civilian models as late as 1988? Did they have a huge stock pile of these receivers that they were trying to unload?

Regards,
OH58D

Heavy Metal
02-11-11, 12:23
I don't think Colt went to the fenced reciever on Civi guns till the 90's.

OH58D
02-11-11, 12:44
I don't think Colt went to the fenced reciever on Civi guns till the 90's.

So what's the thinking....were they using up old stock of receivers without the mag release fence?

OH58D

scottryan
02-11-11, 13:19
So what's the thinking....were they using up old stock of receivers without the mag release fence?

OH58D

No.

The slabside on a 601/602 and a semi auto slabside are different forgings.

The semi auto slabside was used due to the large pin and non sear cut upper, to hinder an illegal full auto conversion

schaz42
02-12-11, 04:36
No.

The slabside on a 601/602 and a semi auto slabside are different forgings.

The semi auto slabside was used due to the large pin and non sear cut upper, to hinder an illegal full auto conversion

Different fogings? Hmmm, what about nowadays? Take the LE6921 and the M4 for example, are they made at the same plant? Different forgings? They still mill off the trigger stops as I can only guess there logic "they serve no function on a semi" but damn they'd be nice to have, do these start off as one and then half way throu or so the m4's are sent right and ours left? Or at the other end of the plant? Sorry to steal your thread if I did, just thought it fit here too : )

James

scottryan
02-12-11, 11:47
Different fogings? Hmmm, what about nowadays? Take the LE6921 and the M4 for example, are they made at the same plant? Different forgings? They still mill off the trigger stops as I can only guess there logic "they serve no function on a semi" but damn they'd be nice to have, do these start off as one and then half way throu or so the m4's are sent right and ours left? Or at the other end of the plant? Sorry to steal your thread if I did, just thought it fit here too : )

James

A 601 lower has different contours under the front takedown lug than a slabside semi lower.

Modern forgings are used across the board for current Colt production.