PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Area Members - Sound Off!

RogerinTPA
02-11-11, 12:22
I want to gauge how many M4C members are in the area, find a suitable non - Nazi range, and train. Any suggestions for training and ranges are appreciated.

Roger

MCS
02-16-11, 10:45
I am in St. Pete!

Mr. Goodtimes
02-20-11, 23:40
I'm in the Brandon/Valrico area. I my self am in search of a good range. Once we find one, though, I'm down to train.

Has anybody been to Guncraft in Ruskin?

HES
02-21-11, 18:35
Land O Lakes / Lutz area. Would love to find a range. Then again there is the need for land. Up my way about the only area I can think of that would suffice would be on SR52 or SR54 west of the suncoast.

Apricotshot
03-01-11, 21:17
I'm in Carrollwood. Long drive to anywhere that will allow decent training:(

emt370
03-07-11, 07:56
Clearwater here. Dying to find someplace relaxed to shoot.

MCS
03-07-11, 08:44
Are there any ranges that give some flexibility for training, or is every range in Tampa Bay all static?

Hot Holster
03-07-11, 09:31
Bradenton here. It's a drive but Webb management (exit 158 off I-75) allows rapid fire on the 1st and 3rd Sunday, and the 2nd and 4th Thursday each month other than that standard range rules apply. $6 per car regardless of how many occupants.

RogerinTPA
03-07-11, 12:33
Are there any ranges that give some flexibility for training, or is every range in Tampa Bay all static?

This is starting to be harder than woodpecker lips in this AO. It all boils down to liability. At my range (Knight's Shooting Sports), I can do what ever I want, since I have taken all of there classes, know all the staff, been shooting there every weekend for the past 8 years and consistently demonstrate safe weapons handling. However, not everyone is granted that privilege. The biggest issue is "drawing from the holster". Unless you've taken their advanced CWP pistol class or a LEO, it is a No Go.

Mr. Goodtimes
05-04-11, 16:16
It's a little bit of a drive but I recently went to Hernando Sportsmans Club and found it to be a good range. Don't expect to be doing ninja rolls up and down the shooting line, drawing from a holster (unless ACTIVE LEO) or doing transitions, however, rapid fire and mag changes are fine.

After things cleared out a little bit and there were a lot of spare lanes, the RO's let me use them to practice engaging multiple targets. Overall it was a great time.

HES
05-13-11, 20:35
I'm heading out to HSC in the morning for their action rifle course. They do IDPA, USPSA, action rifle, pistol, two gun, three gun, and SASS. So you can do more than just static line shooting.

.45fmjoe
05-13-11, 22:15
South Tampa here.

greywolf2112
05-26-11, 22:00
New Port Richey here.

I do a lot of shooting at Hernando - they allow rapid fire, full auto, but no draw-from-holster. Which to me is rather stupid, considering that most cops are going to be more prone to shoot themselves than civilians who practice and get proper training.

I would like to find a good place to go as well, and some good shooting partners so we can practice some team shooting and on-the-move tactics.

mizer67
06-10-11, 12:10
On weekdays, the WAC (Pinellas Park) has USPSA and IDPA-like matches in the back action bays that are decent training opportunities. Where I work also sponsors a night at the WAC to shoot with few restrictions, but no real distances involved there.

Usually once a month, there's a 2-gun match to shoot on Sundays.

Those are the only decent training opportunities I can find locally.

serbonze
06-10-11, 12:21
New Tampa/Wesley Chapel here. New member of the forum too. No prior military or Leo experience, just a civilian trying to learn.

60buckscash
06-24-11, 21:05
Sarasota area here. I am coming from a club where I was running IDPA and got really spoiled with my freedom. I would defianatly be interested in finding a club within an hour that was less static. Any info would be great as I am new to the area.

Apricotshot
06-24-11, 21:28
Tomorrow the 25th a few guys are going to Hernando Sportsmans club. Range opens at nine and the 200yd range is open for static free shooting. I'm going to get new true 200yd zeros.

Velcro
07-05-11, 01:51
Hello everyone, Velcro here.

I have been in Tampa for over 30 years and have seen it grow when it comes to this community. There is a lot in Tampa, but some of it is kind of hard to find, personally IMO, because of the AOR of the MIL/GOV assets that are here. Because of the population crowding in the area, there is not a lot of active COF other than the WAC (Wyoming Antelope Club, Pinellas Park), Hernando (North), Manatee (South) and I think Gun Crafters is still open. We definitely need something more.

A couple of the Training companies that I would personally recommend, because of personal knowledge of working with either of the instructors in the general area would be GUNRUNNERS (Tampa) and Bushido Tactical (Orlando).

I currently work overseas, but am home often. I was a former LEO, but went in a different direction that led me to my current career choice now for the past (6) years.

I have worked in a lot of the local Tampa "gun anything" so if anyone thinks that I can help them out in anyway...info, contacts, ect. just let me know.

Velcro

HES
01-18-12, 23:09
So is there any interest for a meet, greet and shoot? I would like the opportunity to meet and learn from others in this region.

Velcro
01-18-12, 23:27
I am out of the country til mid March, but if there is one around then I am down!

Velcro

Apricotshot
01-19-12, 07:00
What do you have in mind? Hernando Sportsmans Club's 200yd range is open on the 4th or 5th Saturday of every month. It's the only range near Tampa that I know of that's worth meeting at.

60buckscash
01-19-12, 09:23
Coming from SRQ it is a little bit of a drive for me. Is there some place closer to Tampa?

(New to the area so don't know the ranges yet.)

Eurodriver
01-19-12, 15:58
edittt

Apricotshot
01-19-12, 19:03
You have to provide your own Club recognized RO though to book a range is my understanding at Manatee. Correct me if I'm wrong.

HES
01-19-12, 22:47
You have to provide your own Club recognized RO though to book a range is my understanding at Manatee. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Well I get my NRA RSO certification next week, so maybe that will count for something and we could pull it off.

I also agree about Hernando. Living in the northern part of the area it's not only relatively close, but its well organized IMO.

Of course with all this open land in the state and Manatee and Hernando being the only viable options in the area is vexing.

Velcro
01-19-12, 22:53
I'm a RO and BFFOC Firearms Instructor for the US State Department...is there a way to be recognized by Hernando Range with these certs?

Velcro

Eurodriver
01-20-12, 06:35
edittt

Apricotshot
01-20-12, 08:00
I am a member and will be an RO at manatee after next Saturday but that's irrelavent. As long as you have a minimum of 200$ or so and book in advance they will provide an RO.
I've been there shooting with an owner of a local gun shop there a few times doing drills. The booking process is a little iffy sometimes. I have some expirences there that have been a bit interesting (I'll fill you in later privately). Area 51 would be good place for some drills and what not. As long as one of our own is ROing we shouldn't have a problem.

Eurodriver
01-20-12, 09:21
edittt

Egret18
02-29-12, 08:51
Lakeland checking in. I do shoot at Teneroc but it is a static range only with a max of 100 yards. It is a good place to burn rounds but not much in the way of any real training.

Boogwardo
03-23-12, 09:00
I'm new to the area and checked out the Wyoming Antelope Club last night for the Defensive Pistol Shoot. I was impressed by the people running the event (every Thursday 6:30pm - 9:30pm). It was well ran, safe and fun. So, I'd definitely recommend this to any competent shooter.

The "range" is unlike anything I've shot at. The shooting bays we were using, were covered with a concrete ceiling (kind of like shooting under a bridge). If you look at Google Maps, you can see why. It is surrounded by businesses, industry and planes taking off from St. Pete.

That said, I had a great time with good people and am happy I have somewhere cool to shoot.

Shot a little video with the Contour on my Ear Pro of a stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nOV61zAEDs
This particular event was very fun. No mag limit, no gun limit.. just shoot safely and have a good time.

RogerinTPA
05-14-12, 20:12
I stopped by there store on US19 in Clearwater and this was their first day open. The place was packed for a Monday lunch time. I must say that it is an extremely beautiful, functional gun store and shooting facility. Lots of stuffed game on the walls and around the facility. I was shocked at the amount of quality AR weapons there (DDs, LMTs, KAC, Colts, SCAR-L/Hs). Store personnel are very helpful and friendly (read seriously cute females with guns on their hips working the various parts of the store). The range has nine 50 yard rifle bays/stalls and ten 25 yard Pistol bays/stalls. Each shooting bay has an overhead air conditioned vent which you can adjust, a simple electric two position toggle switch for target runners, and liberal, common sense range rules. The airflow has been revamped with new filtration system. You can shoot rapid fire, but not draw fire as of yet. They put in over $3 Mil, in clean up, repairs and renovations in this facility. It is nothing like the old Knights. I highly recommend it.;)

Apricotshot
05-14-12, 20:55
I stopped by there store on US19 in Clearwater and this was their first day open. The place was packed for a Monday lunch time. I must say that it is an extremely beautiful, functional gun store and shooting facility. Lots of stuffed game on the walls and around the facility. I was shocked at the amount of quality AR weapons there (DDs, LMTs, KAC, Colts, SCAR-L/Hs). Store personnel are very helpful and friendly (read seriously cute females with guns on their hips working the various parts of the store). The range has nine 50 yard rifle bays/stalls and ten 25 yard Pistol bays/stalls. Each shooting bay has an overhead air conditioned vent which you can adjust, a simple electric two position toggle switch for target runners, and liberal, common sense range rules. The airflow has been revamped with new filtration system. You can shoot rapid fire, but not draw fire as of yet. They put in over $3 Mil, in clean up, repairs and renovations in this facility. It is nothing like the old Knights. I highly recommend it.;)

Were the price tags on the afore mentioned firearms in the realm of reality? Thanks for the post.

RogerinTPA
05-14-12, 21:18
Were the price tags on the afore mentioned firearms in the realm of reality? Thanks for the post.

A little over priced IMHO, but after discussing it with the sales people, what they have currently in stock is all they got, for quite a while since most manufacturers are not taking orders. Example, the KAC SR-15s were going for $2200.00. A year or so ago, they were all over the Net from 1800-2200. M&Ps were going for 539.00 across the board. They had 10 M&P Shields, then sold them out before noon on there opening day today so I can't give a price there. The prices were much higher (Colt 6920s going for 2200+) in the same time frame prior to the previous election. At SS, today, 1100 and change. Given the current nation wide panic buying leading up to the election, the prices are still reasonable for a retail store.

CLJ94104
05-14-12, 21:36
Sarasota here. Go to school in Tampa though.

CLJ94104
05-14-12, 21:45
Knights Trail is a joke. They are way too limiting in what they allow. Manatee Gun Club is nice but overpriced especially for the drive IMHO. Not impressed with the ranges around here in general.

bobsolla
05-14-12, 23:09
i`am here in carrollwood/citrus park!would love a place like that to go to!

Apricotshot
05-15-12, 07:26
Knights Trail is a joke. They are way too limiting in what they allow. Manatee Gun Club is nice but overpriced especially for the drive IMHO. Not impressed with the ranges around here in general.

Hernando Sportmans's Club is probably the best outdoor range that is closest to where I live (North Tampa). RO's are pretty laid back and there is a Action Rifle match there once a month.

mdrums
06-29-12, 21:33
New here on the forum, just bought my 1st AR last month. I'm looking for some training. I found a place called Southern Expousure but no AR or defensive pistol classes till fall. I'm signing up for them anyway...just hoping to meet some others in the area.

Apricotshot
06-29-12, 21:53
I've taken several classes at Southern. It's a great place and has wonderful trainers there.

abnjeffy
09-07-12, 09:02
I'm in S Tampa and a member at Wyoming Antelope Club, wish I would have read the range rules before getting a membership, the outdoor look and feel of the place is deceiving. Unless you want to shoot in a competition you really can't train. Comps are fun but it would be awesome to find a place where I can spend several hours with buddies working on transitions, reloads and firing positions repetitively. The area is lacking!

abnjeffy
09-07-12, 09:06
help here?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1388767#post1388767

MCS
09-07-12, 09:28
I'm in S Tampa and a member at Wyoming Antelope Club, wish I would have read the range rules before getting a membership, the outdoor look and feel of the place is deceiving. Unless you want to shoot in a competition you really can't train. Comps are fun but it would be awesome to find a place where I can spend several hours with buddies working on transitions, reloads and firing positions repetitively. The area is lacking!

That's the exact reason I didn't get a membership there.

abnjeffy
09-07-12, 09:49
When i got the membership one of the RO's told me "just become an RO and then you can come here and do whatever you want and no one will bother you, you can run any range yourself". I shot a few times, then asked to be an RO and they told me I had to be a member for 2 years, "new rule" apparently. They totally Debo'd me out of my money under false pretenses, pretty heated about it

Boogwardo
09-07-12, 11:25
That is the only thing so far that I don't like about Tampa (new to the area), nowhere to really train that is close by.

That said, anyone going to the Kyle Defoor class over in Frostproof - Oct 20th & 21st? Some world class instruction going to happen.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107959

abnjeffy
09-07-12, 20:09
Unfortunately I can't do anything until January which is why I was hoping to get MD down here in January per the link a few posts above.

Boogwardo
09-08-12, 07:32
Per your link, that definitely the issue with the area, lack off training locations. Pretty much limited to Myakka City - the public range and the Rocky Creek Ranch, which are both hosting classes. That said, Frostproof is not far and I've heard the facility down near Miami is worth the drive.

Just depends on how much effort people want to put into training. Driving only three hours is a blessing to me.

Keep your eye out for some of the prior Tier 1 guys making their way down here via "Alias Training". http://aliastraining.com/

I've trained with a few of them and they are very good instructors (relevant information and the ability to effectively convey it).

MCS
09-08-12, 08:01
I did a Costa class at Rocky Creek, it's a really nice place and the people there are great.

Apricotshot
09-08-12, 14:48
Mike Pannone is going to be at Manatee Nov 10-11. I'll be going to that one. I shy away from the Magpul classes for my own reasons. Randy Cain at Southern Exposure is a good one as I have posted before.

On Point Firearms (OPF) has fellowship shoots at manatee every so often. $50 though to me is little much IMO. OPF has a former Marine scout sniper\contractor that offers one or two day classes as well. I'd stick to Southern for the instruction part, as he kind of caters to the "urban commando" crowd. Not my scene, but they are nice folks.

RogerinTPA
09-09-12, 20:01
SMG Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics and Pat Rogers (in Dec) normally make annual appearances at southernexposuretraining.com . The facility is located in Kathleen FL, just north of Lakeland. Kyle will be there in Oct for his VTAC 1.5 Pistol course, which is excellent and designed to push you well beyond your current skill level. His 1.5 Carbine is equally as challenging. Pat Rogers, is well, Pat Rogers. I try to go annually just for the entertainment value, but his carbine fighting course is pretty challenging. Many shoot, but rarely pass the many skill test you'll have to perform.

abnjeffy
09-10-12, 11:51
thanks for the input everyone, i will check into the training opportunities you gave me, hopefully something is available in january in the area.

MCS
09-10-12, 12:09
SMG Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics and Pat Rogers (in Dec) normally make annual appearances at southernexposuretraining.com . The facility is located in Kathleen FL, just north of Lakeland. Kyle will be there in Oct for his VTAC 1.5 Pistol course, which is excellent and designed to push you well beyond your current skill level. His 1.5 Carbine is equally as challenging. Pat Rogers, is well, Pat Rogers. I try to go annually just for the entertainment value, but his carbine fighting course is pretty challenging. Many shoot, but rarely pass the many skill test you'll have to perform.

I have heard interesting stories about Pat, I want to give his class a try.

abnjeffy
09-11-12, 07:09
Mike Pannone is going to be at Manatee Nov 10-11.

I am actually seriously considering this class, looks like it may fit my schedule. It doesn't say how many rounds we need to bring, any idea?

Boogwardo
09-11-12, 08:43
We have access to at least three classes for the remainder of 2012.

John McPhee 2-Day Carbine Class – Oct 6-7, 2012 - Miami, FL. I have heard nothing but praise for "Shrek". His Bio speaks for itself and I've heard he is very good a conveying information to the Trainees.

Kyle Defoor is going to be at Frostproof on Oct 20th and 21st. If you have never trained with Kyle, you are missing out. He brings A LOT to the table and I'm signed up for this class.

Mike Pannone's class at Myakka City Nov. 10th and 11th (as Apricotshot stated). I'm 90% sure I'll be at and I look forward to meeting some more FL shooters (being new to the Great State)! As for round count for Pannone's, "approximately 1000 rounds of rifle ammunition".

abnjeffy
09-11-12, 09:22
Boogwardo,

Thanks for the info, it's nice to have it all in one spot for reference. I think Mike's class is looking promising and I really like the idea that he spends a good amount of time on malfunctions, I have to balance some stuff out but will likely be signing up some time this week, hope to see you there.

Jeff

abnjeffy
09-12-12, 12:46
I just signed up for Mike Pannone's class, should be good training. Anyone here, considering we are in the same area, have good recommendations for bulk ammo? I have found a few places on the web http://www.firearmsforyou.com/ammunition/centerfire/federal-ae223bk-standard-223-rem-5-56-nato-fmj-boat-tail-55-gr-1000case-ae223bk/ but don't know much about ammo quality or how awesome my ammo really needs to be for class purposes, I mean it's not like we're shooting at 600 yards.

Apricotshot
09-12-12, 13:30
I use whaterver M193 loadings I can find that are decent and affordable. I'm using the Privi 5.56 for Mike's class. I used the same lot for the tail end of Kyle Lamb's class earlier this year and it had decent accuracy and worked fine.

Boogwardo
09-12-12, 13:35
I shoot the cheapest crap ammo possible for training = Wolf WPA. I've shot about 3K rounds of it and my buddies have shot it as well. I'd guess we've brunt at least 10K rounds of it over the past year and it is fine. By fine I mean I've had 3 failure to go bangs (Push&Pull, Rack, BANG), I've shot it out to 300 yards and it holds a pattern (almost a group :) and I could care less about steel casing and what happens with anything. I'd label it, fine for training. That said, I'm not sure who has it in stock.

I believe the range is only 100 Yards long at this venue but you could get back to 200 yards if he wanted to get creative.

Hope to see you guys there!!

Apricotshot
09-12-12, 14:17
My guess is that they are having the class at the Area 51 site, which is only 150 yds or so if that from the covered area to the berm. So don't bother bring a DMR rifle or the ammo to support it.;)

Boogwardo
09-12-12, 15:10
Yes, it is at Area 51. I paced it off a while back and it was around 100 yards to the canopy from the berm.

macmulisha
09-23-12, 14:18
New member from Sarasota checking in!!

Apricotshot
10-26-12, 21:35
Is anyone here a range officer or on the board of any outdoor ranges in the Tampa Bay Area?

abnjeffy
10-30-12, 22:08
Anyone hear anything about this place that is supposed to open at the end of Noember up at 275 and Fletcher in Tampa?

Shooters World (http://www.shootersworld.com)

Supposedly this place will blow shoot straight away, any input?

Apricotshot
10-31-12, 08:13
I put in an app for a part time gig. Seems like a nice facility.

MCS
10-31-12, 09:02
looks like a decent indoor range.

serbonze
10-31-12, 11:30
Take a look at the FAQ and some of the range rules. I think they need to adjust some of them to make them shooter friendly.

HES
06-12-13, 00:07
So is anything going on in the Tampa area? I was hoping that with the opening of Shooters World we could have the opportunity for training or competition, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen.

Apricotshot
06-12-13, 06:48
So is anything going on in the Tampa area? I was hoping that with the opening of Shooters World we could have the opportunity for training or competition, but that doesn't look like its gonna happen.

I've mentioned it to them a few times that they should have a comp with the steel side on a certain night of the week. Downside is that you'd have to use their frangible, which can be pricey. A lot of the things, biggest being the ammo shortage of 2013 being chief among them realy curtail any type of comps that they are going to put on.

They are offering training but I'd rather spend my money going to a better known instructor in an outdoor setting. Just my preference.

RogerinTPA
06-12-13, 09:51
Shooter's World is a very nice range but the last time I was there, some of the Fudds online complained when I shot a Half and Half Drill and about my loud gun (Battle Comp). Unless I'm practicing stacking holes only, apparently I'm violating range rules. Unfortunately, all the public ranges are geared towards the safety level of the general public, and therefore, no viable tactical training, unless someone sets up a private range. I can get away with some bending of the rules at my home range (shoot straight), but not much. They don't allow draw fire, no matter how much I try to convince them to have a class and certify folks. I have to really plan out my range sessions so it's not a complete waste of time.

Apricotshot
06-12-13, 12:10
Shooter's World is a very nice range but the last time I was there, some of the Fudds online complained when I shot a Half and Half Drill and about my loud gun (Battle Comp). Unless I'm practicing stacking holes only, apparently I'm violating range rules. Unfortunately, all the public ranges are geared towards the safety level of the general public, and therefore, no viable tactical training, unless someone sets up a private range. I can get away with some bending of the rules at my home range (shoot straight), but not much. They don't allow draw fire, no matter how much I try to convince them to have a class and certify folks. I have to really plan out my range sessions so it's not a complete waste of time.

There really is no place in Tampa to practice anything with movement, positions and holster work. Unless you are on private ranges. Shame.

How have you been Roger? Going to Pat's class this year?

RogerinTPA
06-12-13, 13:14
There really is no place in Tampa to practice anything with movement, positions and holster work. Unless you are on private ranges. Shame.

How have you been Roger? Going to Pat's class this year?

I'm good brother, just trying to nurse along a new business venture so I may not have the time, but I'll definitely try to make it...

mdrums
07-05-13, 21:30
Anywhere in Tampa or Florida that has a tactical hand gun and or AR class for 1st timers?

I am getting bored going to the range and shoot paper. I do work at various distances and to 2 to the chest 1 to the head rapid type of shots. I've read instructors books, watched video's, watch the tv shows and from looking at the others on the range I do pretty good...however I need some lessons though and want to really be sure I know what I am doing and work on basics and finer points.

serbonze
07-05-13, 22:02
Anywhere in Tampa or Florida that has a tactical hand gun and or AR class for 1st timers?

I am getting bored going to the range and shoot paper. I do work at various distances and to 2 to the chest 1 to the head rapid type of shots. I've read instructors books, watched video's, watch the tv shows and from looking at the others on the range I do pretty good...however I need some lessons though and want to really be sure I know what I am doing and work on basics and finer points.

Family Firearms in Valrico has a new two day class that is an intro level. It's geared toward pople that have their CWP and have not done any formal training since that class.

I took his first class to provide feedback. Overall, it was good and will allow you to get out from behind the bench or lane. I'll PM you their email address along with a short AAR.

Apricotshot
07-06-13, 08:31
http://www.southernexposuretraining.com/

HES
07-07-13, 11:21
They are sporadic there. Some times you get complaints. Other times I see Fudds trying to, as best I can tell, play Call of Duty on the range. I like the idea of certification.

Agreed. Apparently you can at Wyoming Antelope. I have heard that to have the freedom, you must become a member and jump through hoops A through K (like becoming a RSO, etc..). Have either of you two checked it out? Largo can be a PITA haul for me. The only private ranges that I know of are in Dundee (by Lake Wales) and Ft. Meade. Again, one hell of a haul. There was at only point a good thing going with the 2nd Amendment Club in Pasco near SR52 and the Suncoast parkway, but the owner of the land decided to re purpose it.

http://www.southernexposuretraining.com/
One day, if I can ever NOT run into a financial emergency (99% kid related) I'll make it out there.

Malcus-3-seven
08-16-13, 21:15
I'm in St. Pete - ready to find a place to train and brothers to train with.

RogerinTPA
08-16-13, 21:52
I forgot, Wyoming Antelope does or did have IDPA and USPSA matches on Tue, Fri and I think Sun. You have to join and pay range fees. Discount for members. It's conducted down the road, beyond and behind the public ranges and behind the public range backstops. It's been a long while since I last attended, but it is an option other than the static range.

They are sporadic there. Some times you get complaints. Other times I see Fudds trying to, as best I can tell, play Call of Duty on the range. I like the idea of certification.

Agreed. Apparently you can at Wyoming Antelope. I have heard that to have the freedom, you must become a member and jump through hoops A through K (like becoming a RSO, etc..). Have either of you two checked it out? Largo can be a PITA haul for me. The only private ranges that I know of are in Dundee (by Lake Wales) and Ft. Meade. Again, one hell of a haul. There was at only point a good thing going with the 2nd Amendment Club in Pasco near SR52 and the Suncoast parkway, but the owner of the land decided to re purpose it.

One day, if I can ever NOT run into a financial emergency (99% kid related) I'll make it out there.

mdrums
08-23-13, 07:09
I live near Gun Craft over in Ruskin. Anyone know of or been there? I think I'm going to check it out. It's an outside range.

Jayro
10-01-13, 16:46
Hey all...just saw this thread, I'm in clearwater and would like to get better at handling my carbines

Briman1001
10-07-13, 10:47
Sarasota checking in. Would be great to do a group meet at Manatee Gun Club. I am up for other locations also though. Take care.

HES
10-12-13, 13:33
FSN . COM used to host biannual shoots at area 51

BioLayne
01-28-14, 13:07
Carrollwood checking in. I go to Florida Firearms Academy. http://www.ffatampa.com/ very cool staff and if you take their basic practical course and show competency they will let you then take their advanced course (both are only $20 apiece) and if you take a few advanced courses and show competency they will typically allow you to draw from holster. I will also say that the practical courses are a couple hours and are pretty damn good for the price. They also are good about not treating you like a baby once you show yourself to be competent and squared away. We've done drills there that I know damn well no other course would let us do.

I've shot IDPA & IPSC at WAC and it's fun but it's a hike to get down there and for me it ends up being almost a 3-4 hour trip total... with less than 1 hour spent actually shooting. Not saying that's bad because it's only $10 for those meets, but it's a big time investment.

Shooters world hasn't ever given me static for rapid fire or speed reloads, etc but I can see where if you were running a comp some people might complain. I will say that their rifle bays seem to be louder than most others, I was running my Tavor next to a guy with a comp on an SBR and it was rattling my damned teeth LOL

Oh, but what I wouldn't give for a great, private, outdoor range like what my dad goes to in Indiana... you can literally go there and do damn near anything you want.

joetownhound
03-09-14, 10:24
Brandon, East Tampa checking in. Have been to Shooter World a couple of times with friends. They have a very nice indoor range for handguns hasn't tried their rifle range yet but have seen many guys shooting rifle there. One question, are any of you guys getting together and shooting. Would love to meet up with some M4C members to shoot and learn a little more about the AR platform.

Mr Tonka
05-02-14, 12:50
Brand new member. Tampa / Lutz area.

No tactical experience or training. Been handling weapons since 1994 and wish to become more proficient with them in all scenarios.

Has anyone contemplated getting a group of guys together and leasing some property for training and friendly comps? Not sure a land owner would lease for shooting reasons other than hunting though... just a thought i had after reading through this thread.

-Joe

The M
02-10-15, 08:50
I'll be in the St Pete area for work Feb 19-20 and 24-25 and will bring my rifles along. Anyone know of a nice outdoor place for some faster shooting? Most places I've researched don't allow faster than one shot per two seconds.

Briman1001
02-11-15, 07:42
I live farther south about 45 miles in Sarasota but Manatee Gun Club is always an option. Probably an hour drive from St. Pete over the skyway. You can shoot pretty much whatever you want there. It is also goes out to 1000 meters or yards. I forget which.

The M
02-12-15, 15:23
Thanks - looks like a nice place but whenever I call there, no one answers or returns voicemail. Also no response to my emails. I thought they might've closed down but there's stuff on their online calendar. Weird.

Briman1001
02-14-15, 11:46
It is a private club open to non members. They are always open the hours and times the website says. It is a Reputable place.

The M
02-22-15, 15:52
Turns out that I didn't have enough time to go all the way down to the Manatee range so I ended up going to Wyoming Antelope club by the St Pete airport. A little 1911 action then sighted in my new scope on the SPR. Nice range for slow relaxed shooting.