PDA

View Full Version : New "fun" gun...Bulgarian Makarov or Ruger Blackhawk 357?

kerplode
02-11-11, 16:38
So I have a CZ75BD that I've been thinking of trading in for something different. The CZ isn't a bad gun (well, the DA pull is kinda lousy), it just doesn't really do anything that my P30, 92FS, or G19 don't do better.

My local FFL guy has two pre-owned pistols that caught my eye last time I was in there...A Bulgarian Makarov and a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 357. Thinking about unloading the CZ for one of these, but I'm having trouble deciding. In either case, the intended roll of the new pistol would be simply something to have fun with at the range or in the field.

I've always thought the Makarov was cool and I have already have a small stash of mags, but 9x18 would be a new caliber to stock. Not very expensive ammo, though. The Blackhawk, on the other hand, may be the more versatile choice. It uses ammo I already stock and doesn't need mags. Doesn't add much capability over my 4" GP100, aside from being a centerfire single action which I don't currently have an example of in my collection. Of course I suppose I could sit on the CZ, save my pennies and get either the 4" 629 or single-stack 9mm for CCW I've been wanting.

So as always, I'm over-analyzing this. I'd be interested to see what y'all might do in my place though...Makarov, Blackhawk, or wait. :smile:

Tomahawk_Ghost
02-11-11, 17:47
I've owned a Ruger Blackhawk for 14 years. It's an on the ranch gun. I also use it as a back in the woods gun. Get the Ruger. If you hunt deer it would be a good gun if the deer are walking under your stand. The CZ you have probably has a better trigger than the Mak.

When I first started reading I was like he should keep the CZ but with the other pistols you have in your collection, the revolver would be more fun. Heck dress it up with some fancy grips or something.

Beat Trash
02-11-11, 17:57
Get the Blackhawk. I'd rather feel more like a Cowboy than a Commie when shooting my "Fun Guns".

Crow Hunter
02-11-11, 20:02
Get the Blackhawk.

Specifically get the 9mm/.357 convertible model. (Comes with 2 cylinders)

I used to have one and I got rid of it, one of the few guns that I wish I had kept.

Alot of fun and you can use the same ammo as your G19/92FS if you don't want to buy .38/.357!

Hop
02-11-11, 21:11
I have two Maks. A Russian with adjustable sights and a Bulgarian. The Bulgarian actually shoots better. They are fun but I've also shot a buddies Blackhawk. That was even more fun but it was a .44.

Dirknar
02-11-11, 23:18
I say get the blackhawk .357 or better yet get the Blackhawk flatop .44 special... I have a Blackhawk flatop .44 mag anniversary edition and I love it. It is fun to shoot single actions.. their pretty much the only ruger I'd buy.

Check out the Ruger forum too, tons of good info.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

Heres mine.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Dirknar77/DSC_0672.jpg

ChicagoTex
02-11-11, 23:20
You've already got 3 other service autos. If you're dumping a fourth for something different make it something different..

Get the Blackhawk.

Although personally I'm more partial to the Single-Six since I don't hunt and .22LR is a waay cheaper than anything else.

jwperry
02-11-11, 23:29
Neither; Tokarev TT33.
Stupid cheap ammo that equates in energy to a poor man's 5.7mm. They are pretty cheap so if it ever breaks, you can just replace it.
Just be advised that they tend to fire if dropped when loaded..

kerplode
02-14-11, 17:39
Cool...Thanks for the input, guys.

The more I think about it the more I want the Blackhawk. Gonna run over there later in the week and grab it, assuming it's still there. If not, suppose I'll have to find a 357 convertible. :smile:

kerplode
02-14-11, 17:51
Oh, one more thing...If I am able to get the blackhawk, what are the chances of finding a 9mm cylinder at a gunshow or on gunbroker and getting it to work?

skyugo
02-14-11, 18:53
Oh, one more thing...If I am able to get the blackhawk, what are the chances of finding a 9mm cylinder at a gunshow or on gunbroker and getting it to work?

isn't 38/357 a different bullet diameter than 9mm?

ChicagoTex
02-14-11, 19:22
isn't 38/357 a different bullet diameter than 9mm?

It's .357 where 9mm is .354, the .003" difference is small enough to make it safe to shoot, though accuracy would probably suffer a tad.

Crow Hunter
02-14-11, 20:05
It isn't as accurate in 9mm but I think it makes up for it being a single action. Of course I did all my shooting at 15 yard and in.

I think I remember seeing that you could send the gun into Ruger and get a 2nd cylinder fitted to it for a cost, but I haven't done it personally. You could call them and ask.

Magic_Salad0892
02-15-11, 05:56
Makarov, or as another poster said... a TT-33.

I like Com Bloc guns.

TXBob
02-15-11, 07:50
+1 for the Mak are a fun gun. However, if we are talking "Fun" you really can't go wrong with either. Makarovs are just different. I get lots of attention when I bring mine to BUG matches. Its the AK-47 of the pistol world. Cheap, tough, and fugly in a beautiful way.

Actually I'd get both if I could...

ArgusP
02-15-11, 13:54
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was born and live in Bulgaria.Here Makarov is everywhere - police, army (such as service weapons), private security companies and civilians.As power 9х18 cartridge is somewhere between 9х19 and .380 Auto.

My advice - stay away from Makarov (especially new Bulgarian production). Resources of these guns is about 4000 - 5000 rounds. First - gun crushes sear and began to shoot in automatic mode. After a 1500 - 2000 cartridge breaks main spring and slide stop.At about 9000 shots broke trigger guard, but it is a important element for the functioning of this weapon. As a result of breakage - slide fly off the gun forward. After 10,000 shots there is a high wear of the rear guide rails.However, if you decided to take Makarov - Look East-German production. They are the finest Makarov, ever produced. Also, the old Russian or Bulgarian military production - somewhere around 1980 - 1985 years.

Sorry for bad English, but as I did - is not my mother tongue.

From Bulgaria with love !!!!!

Beat Trash
02-15-11, 14:17
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was born and live in Bulgaria.Here Makarov is everywhere - police, army (such as service weapons), private security companies and civilians.As power 9х18 cartridge is somewhere between 9х19 and .380 Auto.

My advice - stay away from Makarov (especially new Bulgarian production). Resources of these guns is about 4000 - 5000 rounds. First - gun crushes sear and began to shoot in automatic mode. After a 1500 - 2000 cartridge breaks main spring and slide stop.At about 9000 shots broke trigger guard, but it is a important element for the functioning of this weapon. As a result of breakage - slide fly off the gun forward. After 10,000 shots there is a high wear of the rear guide rails.However, if you decided to take Makarov - Look East-German production. They are the finest Makarov, ever produced. Also, the old Russian or Bulgarian military production - somewhere around 1980 - 1985 years.

Sorry for bad English, but as I did - is not my mother tongue.

From Bulgaria with love !!!!!

Welcome ArgusP

Thanks for the insight on the Makarov.

kerplode
02-15-11, 16:47
Yes...Welcome and thanks!

Hop
02-15-11, 17:59
Good info ArgusP. Mine are car guns and don't get more than a couple boxes per year ran through them. It'll hopefully be a long time before I see any of those type of failures. :thank_you2:

TXBob
02-15-11, 18:30
Makarov.com will answer your questions about when the particular one you are looking at was made. (And a good resource on the pistol).

Also remember that Mak is supposed to be an "inexpensive" pistol. I'm not up on my ruger blackhawks but I'm guessing the Mak should be less. ($200?).
It is disappointing to here the new ones may not be up to the reputation of the older ones, because they do have a rather strong following (I drank the kool-aid myself). East German or Russian is generally the way to go though agreed.

9x18 is closer to 380 than 9 Para as far as power though. More like a "hot" 380 load. Maximum you can get for a blowback pistol.

skyugo
02-15-11, 18:43
+1 for the Mak are a fun gun. However, if we are talking "Fun" you really can't go wrong with either. Makarovs are just different. I get lots of attention when I bring mine to BUG matches. Its the AK-47 of the pistol world. Cheap, tough, and fugly in a beautiful way.

Actually I'd get both if I could...

if maks were still all over the place for 150 bucks i'd get one.

i can't really see paying 300 for one though.

danpass
02-15-11, 20:34
I recently acquired a Ruger Security Six and I love it.

So my recommendation is the THREE HUNDRED FIFTY SEVEN :D

kerplode
02-16-11, 13:22
Damn...Didn't make it back to my FFL guy in time and he sold the Blackhawk. Oh well. Just gonna have to keep my eyes open for another one. :smile: