PDA

View Full Version : NREMT 24hr EMT-B refresher course

Spoon
02-11-11, 22:07
I know theres quite a bit of EMT-B's on here. Have any of you guys used this site for the NREMT 24hr refresher course? http://www.hazmatstudent.com/ems-training.shtml I've been looking online but haven't found any other courses, are there any other ones I should look into instead?

brit
02-12-11, 00:32
Are you currently registered with TxDSHS? Is your license active? If not, how long has it been?

here's the portion of the sight that deals with the TX cert. I don't know many people who actually keep up with the National Registry.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/recertinfo.shtm

EDIT: my earlier response was half-ass, sorry. Concerning the NR, that 24 hour refresher seems like a decent deal for just 125 bucks. Here's another place thats popular with my co-workers: http://www.ems-ce.com/
NREMT-Basic:
May complete up to 10 hours of the Refresher requirements and may complete up to 24 hours of the Additional EMS related CE requirements using CE Solutions.

Spoon
02-12-11, 10:18
Yeah..my Texas license doesn't expire until 07/2014 and my NREMT expires 03/2012. Yeah I've been asking a few coworkers but most of them let their NREMT expire and just keep up with their State license. I would rather keep my NREMT up to date every 2 years. I have been looking into www.ems-ce.com and egenesis.com but it only counts for 10hrs towards the refresher and 24hrs towards the 48hrs CE. I figured I would get 24hrs out of the way using one of the two websites and just do a BTLS, PHTLS, etc classes to knock out the rest of the hours. I just can't find any refresher courses in Texas. So I'm wondering if anyone has used that web site to keep their certification up to date? It seems like a really good deal thats why I was wondering.

brit
02-12-11, 12:20
gotta love CE's :)

The EMS provider that taught my Basic course has a policy of letting their former students sit in class to get CE credits without charge. Schertz EMS to be specific.

I do know keeping up with the NR is a must if you think you might ever leave the state.

ST911
02-12-11, 14:54
I've never understood why people are so willing to let their NR certs lapse and keep state creds only. Especially considering how little additional effort it is to keep NR.

I'd say that most are the minimum hour types, who scramble for that last CEU every March 30th, but that isn't always the case.

What gives? Why limit options?

Canonninja
02-12-11, 16:44
i personally got hosed on my NREMT when I did all my CEs online, and come to find out they want the majority of CEs in person.

Atleast I'm set on my TXDSHS cert. When I get the gumption I'm going to fast-track my EMT-I and reup with NREMT.

brit
02-12-11, 21:57
Sorry for the OT. Canonninja, do you know of any programs that are offered for a quick EMT-I? I'd love to have to stop answering why I didn't try to get a line in my ER PTs. Medical Director says no-no. :(

Canonninja
02-15-11, 20:09
im waiting to see if my FD is going to offer one starting next month... other than that, ECI here in Houston has a fast-track program i believe

WaterChunker
02-25-11, 00:17
whatever you do dont let your cert expire,..i did and i regret it! Was a pita doing it all over again.

Gutshot John
02-26-11, 15:21
I've never understood why people are so willing to let their NR certs lapse and keep state creds only. Especially considering how little additional effort it is to keep NR.

I'd say that most are the minimum hour types, who scramble for that last CEU every March 30th, but that isn't always the case.

What gives? Why limit options?

Does your state require NR?

Some of us got our state cert before there was any such requirement for NR and dont feel the need to go through the hassle. There is also a pervasive sense amongst many old guard medics that NR is something of a scam. Others arent really going anywhere but their state.

luxor
02-26-11, 19:23
In Virginia Emt E's, I's and P's have to be national registered. Emt B's however do not. If you never plan on leaving the state there is no need to NREMT-B.

Unless you just like spending money.

WaterChunker
02-26-11, 19:49
In Virginia Emt E's, I's and P's have to be national registered. Emt B's however do not. If you never plan on leaving the state there is no need to NREMT-B.

Unless you just like spending money.
Lucky! The spending money thing is no joke. When i originally went through all i had to do was take the emt-b course, do my clinical's, take nr, and then pay the state for my license. Then for some dumb reason i let it expire and they implemented new stuff. I not only had to pay the state fee but also a background check and when i tried to ask if i could skip the fee since i just had it done for my chl they told me no, there was no excuse for it except the wanted money,..greedy state fee's are starting to get under my skin and then they want to gripe about not having enough emts.