PDA

View Full Version : Bipod mount for Troy Extreme tube?

Josh-L
02-12-11, 01:58
Is there a way to mount a Harris bipod on a Troy Extreme tube without using the rail piece and a bipod adaptor?

TehLlama
02-12-11, 03:08
I was wondering the exact same thing - going to check out the options from IWC (Mount n Slot) to see how close that looks.

MustangGreg66
02-13-11, 05:05
I was thinking the same thing. I can't attach the rail at the front because of the midlength gas block. It'd be nice to be able to attach a bipod for some range work/load development... Maybe just a nut and some washers from the hardware store to attach a sling swivel would do it for me... hmm would be nice to have a more elegant solution though.

patrol120
02-13-11, 12:30
Josh, you can use the Noveske QD sling mount, and one of the QD swivels from GroveTec to get you where you need to be.

SteveL
02-13-11, 16:18
Josh, you can use the Noveske QD sling mount, and one of the QD swivels from GroveTec to get you where you need to be.

Do you have a link for this?

patrol120
02-13-11, 16:40
You can order the stud alone from GrovTec, but you have to call them. their site is a bit dated. I ordered the ones I have from Brownells, but they seem to have stopped carrying that particular part.

http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/Multi_Adaptor_Stud_p/ellgtcgtsw299.htm

SteveL
02-13-11, 16:52
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was visualizing, but I couldn't find it on their site. That does look like a great solution for a bipod mount.

MarkG
02-13-11, 18:43
There is a part purpose built to attach a Harris bipod to your JP/VTAC rail. Buy it here (http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPHGS)

After reading the the thread again, this part only fits the JP and Troy/VTAC rail.

Todd.K
02-14-11, 10:31
You can also replace the flat head screw in the Noveske QD mount with a #10-32 threaded sling stud.

TehLlama
02-14-11, 23:24
This just became even more relevant to my interests now that Troy is rolling out their 15" TRX Rails (about to ask them for an ETA on the VTAC version), because my Mk12 clone is literally begging for something this flexible.

CleverNickname
06-24-11, 09:17

I tried this and the Grovetec stud extends too far out from the handguard to allow the bipod to tighten down all the way.

MustangGreg66
06-27-11, 19:18
So have you guys found something that will work well? Pics?

I was having trouble with an upper I assembled myself. 14.5" BCM midlength gas barrel, YHM Low pro gas block, Troy TRX Extreme 13" rail and a pinned and welded battlecomp. I was getting poor accuracy that was irratic. When the gun was cold I could group 2" at 200 yards and easily hit the 8" plates we were shooting at, but when the gun got hot (skinny barrel) I would get what I thought was POI shifts and I couldn't seem to be able to hit the plates anymore, maybe 4/10 shots hit.

I thought it was that I didn't tighten the barrel enough or the forarm was touching or something along those lines... so I took everything apart and re-torqued the barrel, but it all back together... same thing happened.

I thought ok, well maybe I just got a bad barrel, it doesn't like my 55gr loads... Well today I took a look and I've got a short rail section mounted at the 6o'clock position on the rail for mounting a bipod. Pretty good setup. It doesn't bother me to have the rail there when I'm not using the bipod and when I want to shoot off the bench it's easy to attach via a LaRue Bipod adapter... So I look and the backing plate for the rail section is really close to the gasblock... in fact I backlit it with a flashlight and I couldn't see any light between them. I took it off and sure enough there was a rub mark on the side of the backing plate and the front of the gas block. It wasn't solid contact but it was rubbing for sure, which would lead me to believe that, that contact with the barrel is what was causing my accuracy to suffer.

I shaved almost 1/16" off the back of the plate carefully with a file and reattached the rail section. Now there's a nice amount of space between the gasblock and rail attachment. Hopefully this will solve my accuracy issue.

This is just an elaborate warning about these 13" rails and mounting these rail sections.

Back to the topic at hand. A smaller single point stud attachment would be great and drop a lot of weight when the pipod is attached.

Do the JP slot mounted sling/bipod studs mount on the VTac Extreme rails? I have one of those on another gun.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
06-27-11, 19:31
We found a thread regarding this subject on another forum and donated Impact Weapons Components QD MICRO MOUNT-N-SLOT to a customer for evaluation for a solution. It works; here's the link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=540611&page=1#bottom

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
06-27-11, 19:35

The Noveske TRX QD Mount doesn't function with a bipod, per the thread I posted. The attaching screw gets in the way... Ours works...

Stay tuned for another new IWC mount to solve this issue!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

MOUNT-N-SLOT
06-27-11, 19:37
I tried this and the Grovetec stud extends too far out from the handguard to allow the bipod to tighten down all the way.

Yep... The stud in the Noveske protrudes too far...

jmp45
06-27-11, 19:49
I recently had a 13" TRX installed with a rail section under a Troy low pro gas block. Don't do it, same thing here. The rail section backing plate was having a positive contact with the Troy gas block. Effectively defeating free float. I removed the section and the back plate took quite a bit of force to get it to slide free from out from under the gas block. I would have thought Troy would of considered the relationship of their TRX and their low profile gas block. As it turns out though, it's best without anyhow.

I was having trouble with an upper I assembled myself. 14.5" BCM midlength gas barrel, YHM Low pro gas block, Troy TRX Extreme 13" rail and a pinned and welded battlecomp. I was getting poor accuracy that was irratic. When the gun was cold I could group 2" at 200 yards and easily hit the 8" plates we were shooting at, but when the gun got hot (skinny barrel) I would get what I thought was POI shifts and I couldn't seem to be able to hit the plates anymore, maybe 4/10 shots hit.

I thought it was that I didn't tighten the barrel enough or the forarm was touching or something along those lines... so I took everything apart and re-torqued the barrel, but it all back together... same thing happened.

I thought ok, well maybe I just got a bad barrel, it doesn't like my 55gr loads... Well today I took a look and I've got a short rail section mounted at the 6o'clock position on the rail for mounting a bipod. Pretty good setup. It doesn't bother me to have the rail there when I'm not using the bipod and when I want to shoot off the bench it's easy to attach via a LaRue Bipod adapter... So I look and the backing plate for the rail section is really close to the gasblock... in fact I backlit it with a flashlight and I couldn't see any light between them. I took it off and sure enough there was a rub mark on the side of the backing plate and the front of the gas block. It wasn't solid contact but it was rubbing for sure, which would lead me to believe that, that contact with the barrel is what was causing my accuracy to suffer.

I shaved almost 1/16" off the back of the plate carefully with a file and reattached the rail section. Now there's a nice amount of space between the gasblock and rail attachment. Hopefully this will solve my accuracy issue.

This is just an elaborate warning about these 13" rails and mounting these rail sections.

Back to the topic at hand. A smaller single point stud attachment would be great and drop a lot of weight when the pipod is attached.

Do the JP slot mounted sling/bipod studs mount on the VTac Extreme rails? I have one of those on another gun.

MustangGreg66
06-27-11, 20:02
The Noveske TRX QD Mount doesn't function with a bipod, per the thread I posted. The attaching screw gets in the way... Ours works...

Stay tuned for another new IWC mount to solve this issue!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Nice solution, but I guess you've got to take the rail off the gun to attach the QD mount :( I like how low profile the Mount-N-Slot mount is on the outside of the handguard, but I like how low profile the Noveske mount is under the handguard. Guess you can't have everything.

So hows the new mount coming along ;)

MustangGreg66
06-27-11, 20:06
I recently had a 13" TRX installed with a rail section under a Troy low pro gas block. Don't do it, same thing here. The rail section backing plate was having a positive contact with the Troy gas block. Effectively defeating free float. I removed the section and the back plate took quite a bit of force to get it to slide free from out from under the gas block. I would have thought Troy would of considered the relationship of their TRX and their low profile gas block. As it turns out though, it's best without anyhow.

Oh wow. I didn't have quite as severe a problem as you. I installed the rail section on the frontmost portion of the rail while it was still on the gun (pretty tricky, but doable) and when I torqued the screws down it shifted so that the side of the backing plate rubbed the front of the gasblock. Still enough to cause POI shifts but really hard to see.

I'm glad you found that out on your gun though. Were you having POI shift issues? Did removing the rail section solve them?

I havn't had a chance to test mine yet and I'm really hoping that's what was causing my issues.

jmp45
06-27-11, 20:35
I noticed it was having contact with the block and resolved before the trip to the range to zero. I can't say what kind of a shift but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been good. I had to drive the plate out with a punch a little at a time.

Oh wow. I didn't have quite as severe a problem as you. I installed the rail section on the frontmost portion of the rail while it was still on the gun (pretty tricky, but doable) and when I torqued the screws down it shifted so that the side of the backing plate rubbed the front of the gasblock. Still enough to cause POI shifts but really hard to see.

I'm glad you found that out on your gun though. Were you having POI shift issues? Did removing the rail section solve them?

I havn't had a chance to test mine yet and I'm really hoping that's what was causing my issues.

MustangGreg66
06-27-11, 21:50
I noticed it was having contact with the block and resolved before the trip to the range to zero. I can't say what kind of a shift but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been good. I had to drive the plate out with a punch a little at a time.

Ah that makes sense. Good thing you noticed it before zeroing.

matthewdanger
06-28-11, 09:02
When I installed one of the short rail section on the bottom front of the 13" TRX hand guard, I had the same issues with contact between the rail backing plate and the gas block. I used a file on the back edge of the backing plate to angle it so that it could not contact the gas block.

I was able to angle it enough to avoid contact when the rail is flexed without reducing the thickness of the backing plate where the screw passes through it so it should be just as strong as it ever was.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/TRX_Modification.jpg

Todd.K
06-28-11, 13:01

I use a #10-32 sling stud to replace the flat head screw in our QD mount. You can get a sling stud from a local gunsmith, Brownells, or out of the JP VTAC kit if you had an extra like I did.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=3267/pid=863/Product/1_2__WOOD_SCREW_STUD_REFILL__PKG_12

MudPhud
08-24-11, 20:35
I tried the Harris HB5 (http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB5.html) bipod adapter stud, and IT WORKS without contacting the low-profile gas block. Also available here (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=404111). I added a small washer that fits inside the Troy hole (between the two brackets) to center the stud and prevent fore/aft movement. The small bracket from the adapter fits nicely in between the leather slats from the Harris bipod such that the bipod will sit absolutely FLUSH to the Troy BattleRail TRX Extreme outer surface.

jsbsmarine
10-15-11, 23:57
any better solutions yet?

jsbsmarine
10-16-11, 00:10
Holy crap, I just casually browsed noveskes site and they had the perfect answer!

A noveske trx sling STUD mount. Its freaking low profile as hell to.
I'm ordering one tomorrow!

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=trx-ss&cat=165&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=