BCM mod 4 charging handle

Parts I am looking to pick up
Daniel Defense mid length lightweight hammer forged barrel
Birdcage flash hider or battlecomp 1.0
BCM BCG
BCM demo upper receiver
"F" marked front sight cut to fit under rail
daniel defense micro mount

The biggest thing I have been debating is the barrel, and currently I am kicking around BCM, Daniel Defense, and Centurion. Reason I am leaning towards DD is because I get pick one up significantly cheaper. Whats yalls thoughts on this build? IS there something I am missing or should tweak? Thanks for the help.

Hmac
02-12-11, 08:00
What's your plan for the gas block? Cutting down an FSB is $$ smart only if you already have one sitting around. Probably better off buying a stripped barrel and having ADCO or someone pin a low profile gas block for you.

Otherwise you're looking at $40 to get the FSB cut down and another $90 to get it pinned.

I suppose you could save some money and use a clamp-on or set-screw gas block, if you're not worried about it coming loose.
Which they do.

bubba04
02-12-11, 08:27
I plan on doing the cut and pin job myself, however if I go the centurion route I Would get them to pin a gas block on the barrel.

Hmac
02-12-11, 09:22
Good deal. That will save you some money. Cutting down the FSB looks like it would be simple enough, but drilling the taper pins for the FSB, especially aligning it, is beyond my machining skills. Seems like, if I could drill the two holes for the taper pins, I could just as easily drill the one hole to pin the low-profile gas block and get the same result while completely skipping the grinding part.

Good luck. Looks like an interesting project.

BTW: Here is a YouTube video on doing what you propose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zLL84Ryu0Y&playnext=1&list=PL0B1B76C00AD9469D. Looks interesting. Personally, it makes me even more inclined to go with either a complete FSB or a low-pro gas block. The latter approach appears to be substantially cheaper, a lot less work, and much less opportunity to screw up a barrel.

Toyoland66
02-12-11, 09:32
Where are you finding the DD barrel for significantly less? The last time I priced them a DD barrel with FSB isn't much less than the centurion (about $30 or so where I was looking).

If you are looking at that kind of savings, I think it is worth it to get the centurion for several reasons. You can buy it with a pinned gas block already installed which saves you the hassle of dealing with it. It is advertised to last 3x a normal barrel due to the double chrome and m249 barrel blank, and they are also guaranteed to shoot sub MOA.