PDA

View Full Version : Exporting a bad lever question

afd524
02-12-11, 09:23
my brother is stationed over in Germany and he is looking at getting a bad lever for his weapon, on the magpul site they have a disclaimer on shipping it...

EXPORT NOTICE: This product and/or its components is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR, 22 CFR Parts 120-130) and export is strictly prohibited without authorization or a license issued by the U.S. Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.

So how do i go about getting this to him

Mikey
02-12-11, 10:05
Throw it in a box and mail it to him.

Marty916
02-12-11, 10:23
I'm most likely wrong but isn't a US military base considered US soil similar to an embassy? If your package goes to an APO I would think it's not an issue. Again, I'm not sure so would suggest researching this further.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-12-11, 10:44
Throw it in a box and mail it to him.

**** ITAR.

I hate to say it but that's what I would and have done on a few things.

afd524
02-12-11, 14:00
ok thanks for the help

Iraqgunz
02-12-11, 14:19
ITAR covers a wide variety of weapons items and accessories and sometimes it can be very confusing. ITAR even applies to items going to an APO/FPO, with a few exceptions.

Most companies put that disclaimer on their website because they do not want to deal with the intricacies of ITAR.

Some companies will send items that total under 100.00 as it is listed in the ITAR regulations. In your situation DADT is probably in order and I doubt that it will be a concern.

ok thanks for the help

TehLlama
02-12-11, 15:06
It's not like you're letting some huge national secret out of the bag - as with anything MagPul made there is already a inferiour Chinese knockoff, so I wouldn't worry.

owdee tt nl
02-13-11, 17:52
just send it and see what happens, they probably dont even know what it is.

Iraqgunz
02-13-11, 19:23
Will you defend him at his trial if he is charged with violating ITAR which is a federal offense?

Not saying it will happen or that it is a major concern. But, it is always a possibility.

just send it and see what happens, they probably dont even know what it is.

Mufasa
02-13-11, 22:47
I have to qualify this by saying I know next to nothing about U.S. export rules and that they do seem to frequently change. I have bought a lot of AR gear from the U.S. My understanding is that with the exception of certain items receivers, bolts, 30rd magazines etc items under $100US don't require an export permit. It is my understanding that the manufacturer has to have to be on a DoS list of exporters which Magpul is. My golden rule is if Brownells will export the item it is fine, they seem to know the rules and adhere to them. I know people who have ordered BAD levers in the last week and they have been sent off from Brownells.

In all honesty I don't think in this case the problem is getting it out of the U.S. so much as getting it into Germany. I'm not familiar with the legal position of APOs or how mail gets there, but is it possible an import permit might be required at his end should German customs intercept it?

afd524
02-13-11, 22:50
i found this information,

Under ITAR, a “US person” who wants to export USML items to a “foreign person” must obtain authorization from the U.S. Department of State before the export can take place.

Iraqgunz
02-13-11, 22:58
Military mail will not be subject to search or customs in Germany. I know thise because I was there for 8 years.

I have to qualify this by saying I know next to nothing about U.S. export rules and that they do seem to frequently change. I have bought a lot of AR gear from the U.S. My understanding is that with the exception of certain items receivers, bolts, 30rd magazines etc items under $100US don't require an export permit. It is my understanding that the manufacturer has to have to be on a DoS list of exporters which Magpul is. My golden rule is if Brownells will export the item it is fine, they seem to know the rules and adhere to them. I know people who have ordered BAD levers in the last week and they have been sent off from Brownells.

In all honesty I don't think in this case the problem is getting it out of the U.S. so much as getting it into Germany. I'm not familiar with the legal position of APOs or how mail gets there, but is it possible an import permit might be required at his end should German customs intercept it?