PDA

View Full Version : Finished my first build, how did I do for $800

crusader377
02-12-11, 10:53
I just finished building my first build. My goal with this carbine was to build a high quality yet lightweight carbine. In addition, I wanted to keep the price down. I was patient with ordering parts and I put this together over a six month period. Will have pictures up soon. Please let me know your feedback.

Upper: 14.5" DD LW carbine with YHM flashhinder $368
BCG: BCM M16 group $140
Charging handle: Standard USGI charging handle $22
Handguards: Magpul MOE OD Green (purchased as part of DSG arms package)
BUIS: USGI Matech $41 off gunbroker

Lower Receiver Group:
Lower: Spikes Gen 1 stripped lower, $65
LPK: Charles Daly LPK, $49 off gunbroker
Mil-spec receiver extension, H buffer, Magpul MOE stock, MOE Pistol grip, MOE trigger guard and Handguards all OD green purchased from DSG arms for $114.

Total price: $799

Total price plus FFL transfer and various shipping charges under $850

Total Weight 6lbs empty, without magazine

hunter123
02-12-11, 12:48
That is a nice build with quality components.I don't know much about the Charles Daly lpk's though.

Militant83
02-12-11, 16:47
Id say you did good at achieving your goal on this build.

MeanRider
02-12-11, 21:08
I keep telling guys I know that I can build them an AR for under a grand. Course once you put on a decent optic you ll be at half your build cost.

palakaboy
02-12-11, 22:35
piiicccs!!!

philipeggo
02-13-11, 09:13
this is great to hear since my budget isnt that much more than yours!

stevenscobra
02-13-11, 12:59
I was waiting for some pics to load... :(

SHONOFF98
02-13-11, 13:17
Pics or it didnt happen!

crusader377
02-13-11, 22:58
As requested, I have enclosed some initial photos of my new carbine. Still debating the optics that I will eventually mount on this carbine.

BOM
02-13-11, 23:33
Looks good. Follow up on how it shoots.

TehLlama
02-14-11, 23:34
Excellent start. I'm positive lots of folks spend more and get less.

crusader377
04-14-11, 22:36
Here is my initial range report. I haven't had much time recently to shoot but these are my initial observations. All of my shooting has been from iron sights.

Overall, I have been extremely happy with the accuracy of the 14.5" DD LW upper. The accuracy matches my CD M4LE which is a 16" M4 carbine.

I'm currently using a Matech BUIS but I did an initial 300M zero using the military style 25M zero target and shot a nice 5rd group that was smaller than the size of a nickel firing from a prone unsupported position.

I then went to the 100M range and place some clay pigeons out on the berm and stapled targets on the backboard. Again firing from the prone unsupported position using iron sights and cheap silver bear ammo (Russian steel cased that cost $4 a box) I had no problem hiting the pigeons and placed the vast majority of my rounds in a 3 to 4 inch diameter circle.

I have absolute confidence that using good quality ammo and optics such as an 3 or 4 magnification ACOG and if I'm doing my job that the 14.5 DD LW should be able to shoot 1-1.5 MOA at 100M.

Although the accuracy is excellent the real selling point IMO is the quick handling, lightness, and superb balance of the carbine. Mine actually weighs 5lbs 15oz with Magpul MOE furniture and a Matech BUIS

HaydenB
04-14-11, 23:57
This is a perfect example of how a budget build should look. VERY well done sir. If anyone can see this thread and still want to get some DPMS POS for $700 because some mall ninja says its just as good as a Colt, then all hope must be is lost.

Wenbow
04-15-11, 06:49
Looks good..

Iraqgunz
04-15-11, 06:59
Let me throw this out there. First off, pretty decent set up. Simple and yet functional.

Now an observation for the unitiated. Notice that the OP took about 6 months to accumulate the parts. He didn't rush out and get garbage and he wasn't apparently suffering from McDonalds syndrome.

Something else. This should also be a good lesson to those who continue to spout the "budget" nonsense. The OP could have purchased a Colt 6920, BCM or DD M4 for about 200.00-300.00 more. What that means is that he would have had to save a little longer. The point I am trying to make is that you can get something that is good, if you are willing to exercise some patience, do some homework and figure out what you want. In his case this was his goal and he did it.

rob_s
04-15-11, 07:18
I say good job, as much as I hate these threads.

I wouldn't choose that particular rear sight for irons-only use, but if it is working for you then motor on.

crusader377
04-15-11, 08:21
I say good job, as much as I hate these threads.

I wouldn't choose that particular rear sight for irons-only use, but if it is working for you then motor on.

The Matech is the only item that I would change if I did this build again. Although I like the range adjustment ability, I think I will probably switch out and get the DD fixed BUIS especially if I keep this an iron sight carbine. Although it works fine for me, I think the Matech is a little too flimsy if you were running just on irons.

If I decide to purchase optics this year for this carbine, either one of the smaller ACOGs (TA-33 perhaps) or aimpoint H-1 I will probably keep the Matech. If I hold longer on optics, I will probably switch out to the DD rear BUIS.

rob_s
04-15-11, 08:40
You may even find that the DD works fine with the H-1 especially if you use a 1/3 mount. I have that combo on a couple of guns and it works great.

The rear sight is something a lot of people put too much of the wrong kind of thought into. Those coming from traditional rifles are often looking for a lot of adjustment, but on the AR that's actually counter-productive. Windage adjustment is all you need in the rear, and elevation adjustment is made at the front.

russellmn
04-15-11, 09:30
I'll second what rob s said above. I like the fixed sights on my carbines/fighting gun. If your optic does, for whatever reason, die in the middle of a fight, all you have to do is switch your focus from a red dot that's no longer there, to the front sight post that's always there. No hesitation, no reaching up to flip up the BUIS, just shoot some more.

Very nice build, and the Matech is probably the only thing I would change, save mid-length vs. carbine gas. That's just personal preference, I think, anyway.

crusader377
04-15-11, 16:30
[QUOTE=russellmn;972514}
Very nice build, and the Matech is probably the only thing I would change, save mid-length vs. carbine gas. That's just personal preference, I think, anyway.[/QUOTE]

The midlength versus carbine gas was a very tough call for me. Initially I was leaning between a BCM 16" LW Mid-Length and a BCM 14.5 LW carbine. Although the mid-length has slightly less recoil and probably a longer average part life, I went with a carbine in order to keep weight down and also maintain commonality with my 16" M4 carbine in terms of potential future rail purchases etc.. In addition, I already had the moe handgrip in carbine length from my DSG arms order. Also I did have a chance to fire a spikes standard midlength at the range and could not detect any significant difference in recoil compared to my CD M4LE so that did weaken the recoil argument for me. Finally, the smartgunner deal came around and I was able to pick up the 14.5 upper for less money than the BCM16" LW midlength or carbine.

Although I'm probably done with AR purchases for a long time, rest assured if I do pick up a third in the future it will be a 16" BCM or DD LW midlength.

rob_s
04-15-11, 16:39
I have a BCM 14.5" mid-length as well as a Next Generation Arms X7 which is a 14.5" mid-length. Both run well, and in the case of the BCM run with weak ammo (haven't tried weak ammo in the NGA). However, I think that in a 14.5" barrel the more forgiving gas length is the carbine. I realize the trend currently is counter to this.

Your carbine-length gas 14.5" will be fine.

eightmillimeter
04-18-11, 01:48
VERY well done on your budget, nice job.

kmrtnsn
04-18-11, 02:14
I imagine that there is about a hundred dollars in postage not accounted for in this build.

ZRH
04-18-11, 03:52
I imagine that there is about a hundred dollars in postage not accounted for in this build.

Total price plus FFL transfer and various shipping charges under $850
Apparently you have to add text to post. BCM is the worst for shipping prices in my experience, most places it is less than sales tax.

Quentin
04-18-11, 11:21
Very nice build, Crusader! I recently did a build similar to yours except went with the 16" DD LW midlength with A2 birdcage, DD BCG, BCM extension/M4 stock kit/H buffer and MBUS sight. I used a MOE handguard like you did and came in about $100 higher, still a pretty decent price.

Of course then came the upgrades, CTR, sling, MOE grip and the price inched up over a grand... :laugh:

Oh well, the guys bragging on their $700 DPMS (before tax/shipping) work their way up to a grand soon so why not start out on a solid platform.

kombos
05-14-11, 23:34
Curious.....where did you get your upper?

SteveL
05-15-11, 09:34
Curious.....where did you get your upper?

The OP already answered that question.

Finally, the smartgunner deal came around and I was able to pick up the 14.5 upper for less money than the BCM16" LW midlength or carbine.
(emphasis mine)

Smartgunner.com. I got an upper from them as well. Good prices, but be prepared to wait for it.

OP very nice rifle, especially for the money. Well done.

usmcvet
05-15-11, 12:19
Solid gun. I think the process is important too. I'm sure you learned quite a bit during the buying and build.

kombos
05-15-11, 19:17
The OP already answered that question.

Thank you sir....I somehow missed that :D

MarshallDodge
05-15-11, 20:43
Nice build, exactly the way you want it with no cut corners.

Now an observation for the unitiated. Notice that the OP took about 6 months to accumulate the parts. He didn't rush out and get garbage and he wasn't apparently suffering from McDonalds syndrome.

Something else. This should also be a good lesson to those who continue to spout the "budget" nonsense. The OP could have purchased a Colt 6920, BCM or DD M4 for about 200.00-300.00 more. What that means is that he would have had to save a little longer. The point I am trying to make is that you can get something that is good, if you are willing to exercise some patience, do some homework and figure out what you want. In his case this was his goal and he did it.

(Insert handclap smiley here) Good stuff IG!

WBAR
05-17-11, 08:11
Cru- nice job, simple and functional. WB

polymorpheous
05-20-11, 00:05
I've looked at the MOE kits from DSG.
Seems like a really good deal.

Any idea who makes the receiver extension?
I suspect it is from DSA.

crusader377
05-20-11, 09:04
I've looked at the MOE kits from DSG.
Seems like a really good deal.

Any idea who makes the receiver extension?
I suspect it is from DSA.

Poly,

I don't know who makes the receiver extension but the machining was good on it and it was easy to install.

Although my current receiver extension works just fine, If I did this build again, I would just ask DSG to upgrade the kit using one of their DD receiver extensions. DSG had no problem up grading from a CAR to H buffer for $12-$13 and I assume they would upgrade the receiver extension for a reasonable price.

polymorpheous
05-20-11, 09:19
Poly,

I don't know who makes the receiver extension but the machining was good on it and it was easy to install.

Although my current receiver extension works just fine, If I did this build again, I would just ask DSG to upgrade the kit using one of their DD receiver extensions. DSG had no problem up grading from a CAR to H buffer for $12-$13 and I assume they would upgrade the receiver extension for a reasonable price.

Yeah, I've done the same with DSG.
They are a great vendor.
I'm in the first stages of a build for a girlfriend and I don't want her to have junk parts. Neither does she!

I'm not impressed with the DSA tubes. I put together a lower with one which I later sold off.
Rough threads, lack of dry lube, and the little lip barely engaged the buffer stop.
I don't know what type of aluminum it is machined from.
I do know that the lesser quality tubes use a different aluminium alloy.

C4IGrant
05-20-11, 09:29
Very nice.

C4

bravofour
05-23-11, 22:48
Great "budget" build! The only thing "budget" about it is the price!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-23-11, 23:08
When I talk about a "budget build" this is what I describe. The price was incredibly affordable over a long period of time, and yet the quality is high. Great job, I'll be linking your build to others in the future.

crusader377
08-20-11, 22:33
I wanted to post a brief update on my thoughts on this rifle. I now have around 800rds through it and it has been 100% reliable. I have done some slight changes in regards to replacing the Matech BUIS with a DD fixed A1 BUIS. Although the MATECH is a decent unit, it is strictly a back up sight whereas the DD is much more rugged and is more suitable for long term iron sight use. The next part of this post I will evaluate different areas of the carbine.

Ammo tolerance: I have fired numerous different types of ammo in from the 45gr to 62gr range so far. Ammo has included both 5.56 and .223 loads. Manufacturers include Winchester, Federal AE, S&B, Silver Bear, Wolf, Prvi, and low powered .223 reloads. Not surprisingly, the 14.5" carbine gas, H buffer, and M16 BCG has been 100% reliable with all ammo combinations.

Accuracy: I haven't done a complete accuracy test from a bench rest with maginified optics and all my experience with this carbine has been using iron sights from various types of firing experience. I did a 300M zero using the 25M zero targets firing from the prone unsupported position. At this range I was consisting grouping in the 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch range using 55gr Federal AE. Later when I rezeroed using a 200M zero fired at 50M groups where around 1 1/4-1 1/2 inch. I also did firing at a 100M target and roughly 80% of rounds hit within a 4" diameter circle using 55gr silver bear ammo from prone unsupported. I also 100M standing shots while resting my elbows on a shooting bench similating shooting behind a car. Using this position I was scoring roughly 90% hits within a 6 inch circle. Overall, If I fired using magnified optics and from a bench, I'm quite confident that the carbine can do between 1.5-2 MOA perhaps better.

Shootability: Although I have been impressed with the LWs accuracy. I'm more impressed with the shootability of this carbine. It is very fast to shoulder and fire and very controllable. Because of its light weight and low recoil, it is very easy to aim at fire on different targets and is not fatigueing to fire.

Lower kit: The Charles Daly LPK has worked like expected although the trigger was a little gritty to start with, I smoothed out nicelys after 100-200 rounds and has worked well.

Magpul furniture: I really like the the Magpul MOE furniture. Also, I really like the OD green coloring which not only blends well to the local environment, but gets alot of complaments at the range.

Future plans: My next step is to save for a Aimpoint Micro H1 or T1 which I think would be a great match for this carbine.

Summary: I have been extremely satisified with my first build and the DD LW upper has been superb. Also, two of my friends who were impressed with my build are in the process of building their LWs. It has been a great carbine and highly recommend all of the components that I used to build it.