PDA

View Full Version : Updated Assault Weapons Ban (NY)

556mp
02-12-11, 11:35
Well apparently New York State is at it again! This bill is absolutely ridiculous! It is filled with gun hating rhetoric, contradictory statements, and uneducated definitions and "Facts."

http://www.assembly.state.ny (http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=A01479%09%09&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Votes=Y&Memo=Y&Text=Y)

Please read through this and write to your politicians! I've been working on a writing for the past few days. Do your part!

This will make it so that all legal "Assault Weapons" under the new definitions will have to be ether surrendered or submitted for testing and holding while a background check is being performed. Upon completion of the background check, the "testing", the ballistic fingerprinting of the firearm, the registration of the firearm, and the return of the weapon in a sealed container, the owner will not be prohibited from possessing the firearm.

The firearm will only be allowed to be possessed "on property owned or immediately controlled by the person, or while on the premises of a licensed gunsmith for the purpose of lawful repair, or while engaging in legal travel to or from these locations by a person who lawfully possessed these weapons...(Section 4, E)"

Also: Wording Change:
"Section 2, 22. "Assault Weapon" means Any:
semi-automatic or pump-action rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has ONE or more of the following:"

Interesting huh? And where did the pump action even come from?

Illegal items:
-Pistol grip
-VFG
-Folding, telescoping, or THUMB HOLE STOCK
-Handguards and rails
-Muzzle devices

Assault pistol has a muzzle brake, no more of those muzzle brakes!

Semi Shotgun that has ONE or more:
-Pistol Grip
-Folding telescoping, or thumb hole stock
-Fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds or a detachable magazine

A shotgun with a revolving cylinder

or possession of any parts that an assault weapon can be made from. Better throw out those parts bins, they may have a VFG in them somewhere.... :rolleyes:

-Bullet button as it can be removed with a cartage or bullet (guess they don't consider it a tool)

Now my head hurts... Lets see how this goes!

swsmailman
02-12-11, 11:48
1. RENDERS THE ASSAULT WEAPON PERMANENTLY INOPERABLE;

I actually like that line in it.

"The New York state legislature finds that semi-automatic assault weapons are military-style guns designed to allow rapid and accurate spray firing for the quick and efficient killing of humans. The shooter can simply point - as opposed to carefully aim - the weapon to quickly spray a wide area with a hail of bullets."

Seriously WHO RIGHTS THIS STUFF!

Sounds like a bill that I am highly against, even if I am in Texas

tgace
02-12-11, 12:15
Welcome to NY! Pay up and hand over your guns!

Although, I have to add that being an LEO in NY... Not very many coppers are going to be too motivated to go around looking for otherwise law abiding citizens AR's. However the risk you run (as it is everywhere) is the "YMMV Factor"...find a particular cop or particular dept with no common sense or allowable discretion and you could be in for a major headache. But if you put us into a position where we have our discretionary hands tied, or you are an @##$*le, watch out. And God help you if you have to use your "Assault Weapon" in a legit defensive shoot.

Anecdotal story. The only time I personally saw this charged was when two knuckleheads were caught outside a bar with an AR waiting "to scare" an ex-GF's new boyfriend. Copper driving through the lot sees the occupants scrambling around and tossing a long gun into the back seat.

The charge was dropped by the DA and the weapon returned.

Between HR218 and State Law exempting LEO's I'm in a good spot, but I dont like doing that. I was a 2nd amendment guy long before I got on this job and "fair is fair". I have been making sure that all my personal weapons are as state legal as everybody elses. This is going to be a headache.

Try to figure out NY...Im still working on it.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-12-11, 13:35
Man what a state we live in indeed.

MikeD
02-12-11, 14:29
I certainly hope the citizens of New York state call and write thier state legislators to stop this crazy bill.

Cylinder Head
02-13-11, 10:37
Can anyone give any light as to whether this bill has a chance of passing?

tgace
02-13-11, 10:39
In NY? I wish I could tell you....

556mp
02-13-11, 20:49
In NY? I wish I could tell you....

What he said.

diving dave
02-13-11, 21:28
Boy and I thought we were screwed out here in California...which we are of course but thats nuts.

Mac5.56
02-18-11, 15:42
Total insanity, but just out of curiosity do we know how much support the bill actually has?

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
02-18-11, 19:56
Total insanity, but just out of curiosity do we know how much support the bill actually has?

At the risk of coming off as sarcastic, it's New York. What do you think? This from the people who brought you the attempted "Requirement for Police to shoot/wound arms and legs first" Bill.

Mac5.56
02-18-11, 20:09
Fair enough, but I don't think this will pass. I will write my state representatives though.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
02-18-11, 21:15
Fair enough, but I don't think this will pass. I will write my state representatives though.

I hope for the same but I have little confidence in the sanity of liberal elected officials in NY nor the voters who put them there. I'm glad for my LE exemption but I can't say how annoyed I get when manufacturers won't even ship certain items here for me. I can't say I blame them but I'll definitely vote with my feet and flee this insane place once I'm able. To all those thinking of moving here, pay attention to the sign at the border when you enter.... Welcome to New York. Please surrender your paycheck, safety, sanity and all firearms at the door.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-18-11, 21:18
I'm counting the days until I can move back west myself. NY is so ignorant. Only 16 more years

556mp
02-18-11, 22:11
I doubt that it will pass, and I'm not sure of support. The gun shops in my area had no idea about it, and when I brought them a copy most of them just shrugged it off. None, not one of the people that I have showed this to had any idea of its existence. But, I believe you can track the bills progress through that link... God help us all :rolleyes:

New York, Where you get taxed, taxed, and taxed some more. In return, you get more taxes, more restrictive laws, oh, and more licensing and taxation required. Love the state, dislike the ridiculous people that run it.

Mac5.56
02-18-11, 23:51
I think I'm going to the Middletown Gun Show tomorrow to buy some ammo and look at people creaming themselves while looking at over priced poor quality AR's and AKs. I will be paying attention to try and find some notice of if this bill is in peoples mind. If I see a petition I will sign it.

As for NY, I don't think it is a liberal or dem thing in this state, it is a condition that only NYer's suffer from Regardless of political affiliation. They all seem to be willing to throw money at a corrupt government that has nothing but maintaining power in mind. This state makes me want to vomit. It is everything wrong with America wrapped up in one not so small package. And don't even think of telling me it's a "liberal" mentality. The wife of the chief editor of the NYPost thinks I am a psychopath for owning an assault rifle that "shoots real bullets".

556mp
02-19-11, 00:09
I was going to go there but every time I go, Its upsetting. Let me know how it is. The only decent booth that I have found is a guy that sells troy products and NV. I forget his name though.

Anyway, give us an update as to the general knowledge of this bill at the show, if you can.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
02-19-11, 00:13
I think I'm going to the Middletown Gun Show tomorrow to buy some ammo and look at people creaming themselves while looking at over priced poor quality AR's and AKs. I will be paying attention to try and find some notice of if this bill is in peoples mind. If I see a petition I will sign it.

As for NY, I don't think it is a liberal or dem thing in this state, it is a condition that only NYer's suffer from Regardless of political affiliation. They all seem to be willing to throw money at a corrupt government that has nothing but maintaining power in mind. This state makes me want to vomit. It is everything wrong with America wrapped up in one not so small package. And don't even think of telling me it's a "liberal" mentality. The wife of the chief editor of the NYPost thinks I am a psychopath for owning an assault rifle that "shoots real bullets".

I would head there as well except I have too many prior engagements to attend. Unfortunately given the nature of NY laws, prices for ammo and other items are insane there so I tend to order online when I need anything as it's cheaper and I can get legit parts as opposed to neutered garbage. I'm sure some will know about the bill since it was also brought up in 2009 or 2010 previously. As for my "liberal" comment, I don't specifically mean Dem or Repub. Obviously there are Dems who support the 2nd amendment and Repubs who don't (see Rudy Giuliani before he tried to run for Prez). What I mean by "liberal" is the type of big city tools who think the government can solve all our troubles, rich people need to pay their "fair share"so we can pay for absurd entitlements, and only military and LE should have guns, except when LE shootings occur. These seem to tend to be Dems in places like NY and very few republicans will believe in gun control generally. Any that do are just posers as far as I've seen.

556mp
02-19-11, 00:18
...tools who think the government can solve all our troubles, rich people need to pay their "fair share"so we can pay for absurd entitlements, and only military and LE should have guns, except when LE shootings occur.

Perfect.

Mac5.56
02-19-11, 09:30
I was going to go there but every time I go, Its upsetting. Let me know how it is. The only decent booth that I have found is a guy that sells troy products and NV. I forget his name though.

Anyway, give us an update as to the general knowledge of this bill at the show, if you can.

I know it's going to be upsetting. It is every time, but my friend wants to go and I don't see him often. I know the booth your talking about he is pretty cool.

I am actually looking for some nice wood furniture for an AK, which is something I imagine I may be able to find there.

Mac5.56
02-20-11, 17:09
No mention anywhere at all about this bill at the Middletown Gun Show.

On another note, the white neo nazi recruiter guy almost got a fist in his face from this bald irishman, and I spent way to much time wading through tons of crap to get to David Coleman in the back, who is the only booth worth visiting. Glad to see that he expanded this year too, and got a ton more magpul stuff.