PDA

View Full Version : Esbit Stove

Travis B
02-12-11, 15:47
I was in a Military Surplus store yesterday for the first time and felt a need to buy something. The MultiCam gear was out of my budget, but I found an esbit stove (http://www.rei.com/product/653343) for cheap so I decided to pick it up.

What do you guys think of yours?

Can I use trioxane fuel bars with it?

EzGoingKev
02-15-11, 11:32
You can use whatever, but I have read hexamine burns hotter than trioxane.

murphy j
02-15-11, 20:21
I've carried an Esbit stove in my field gear since the early 90s. I don't leave home without it. I have used the issue Trioxane bars, but prefer Hexamine due to how hot it gets. Any solid fuel will work.

Travis B
02-15-11, 20:25
Yeah, I mean it was such a small package, compared to my Jetboil Helios, and a great price, that I couldn't pass it up.

murphy j
02-15-11, 20:31
Yeah, I mean it was such a small package, compared to my Jetboil Helios, and a great price, that I couldn't pass it up.

You haven't made a bad purchase IMHO. It's one of the handiest pieces of kit I've ever owned.

Travis B
02-15-11, 20:44
You haven't made a bad purchase IMHO. It's one of the handiest pieces of kit I've ever owned.

What kind of boil times can I expect with the hexamine vs the trioxane? I know pot material makes a difference so if you have experience with a certain one I would appreciate that, too.

I'm thinking about purchasing a smaller pot to go along with this stove. Recommendations?

murphy j
02-15-11, 20:57
What kind of boil times can I expect with the hexamine vs the trioxane? I know pot material makes a difference so if you have experience with a certain one I would appreciate that, too.

I'm thinking about purchasing a smaller pot to go along with this stove. Recommendations?

As far as pots go I have no recommendations. I've always used an Army issue canteen cup. While I don't recall a specific time frame for bringing water to boil, I do know that it was always faster with the hexamine and I typically used only a half of block. With the Trioxane I always had to use the whole bar and sometimes 2 depending on how old it was.

Travis B
02-15-11, 21:00
As far as pots go I have no recommendations. I've always used an Army issue canteen cup. While I don't recall a specific time frame for bringing water to boil, I do know that it was always faster with the hexamine and I typically used only a half of block. With the Trioxane I always had to use the whole bar and sometimes 2 depending on how old it was.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can break it in over spring break

Iraq Ninja
02-15-11, 22:52

Have some fun and make your own. Start by sorting thru these videos to get ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ultralight+cooking+pot&aq=f

What are you using this setup for again?

If you don't have a US mil canteen, I don't see a need to use a canteen cup. Much more effective to get a round pot. Don't be afraid to go big either. You can go lightweight and big, and it will be more useful than just a cup.

You can start by making your own billy can and use it to store your stove and food in.

Travis B
02-15-11, 23:19
Have some fun and make your own. Start by sorting thru these videos to get ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ultralight+cooking+pot&aq=f

What are you using this setup for again?

If you don't have a US mil canteen, I don't see a need to use a canteen cup. Much more effective to get a round pot. Don't be afraid to go big either. You can go lightweight and big, and it will be more useful than just a cup.

You can start by making your own billy can and use it to store your stove and food in.

This will be for my (ultra)light/BOB setup. I'm actually considering stuffing it inside the Jetboil Flash Companion Cup (http://www.rei.com/product/799267). I'm trying to stay away from the large pots, as I currently have a 2-liter pot with my Helios and it takes up so much room in my pack. I like how it is tall and skinny, and it'll pack inside water bottle holsters.

Great vids, I'll definitely stay busy with those.

EzGoingKev
02-16-11, 17:34
If you are looking at cups/pots, I would suggest something with a cover as it seems to help keep the heat in so it boils faster.

Travis B
02-16-11, 19:52
If you are looking at cups/pots, I would suggest something with a cover as it seems to help keep the heat in so it boils faster.

The Jetboil cup has a lid so it seems to be a good candidate.

Grand58742
02-19-11, 15:38
A little trick I learned on another website for getting the hexamine tabs started easier. Use a knife and score the top. Make small shavings before trying to light it. Works far easier trying to get the thing started by lighting the shavings and letting them start the tab rather than trying to light the thing at once.

Travis B
02-19-11, 16:12
A little trick I learned on another website for getting the hexamine tabs started easier. Use a knife and score the top. Make small shavings before trying to light it. Works far easier trying to get the thing started by lighting the shavings and letting them start the tab rather than trying to light the thing at once.

Great idea. Thanks!

Do you just light it with a match, etc?

How would a flint work?

Grand58742
02-20-11, 02:35
Great idea. Thanks!

Do you just light it with a match, etc?

How would a flint work?

I used a torch type lighter, but the principle is to light the shavings first and a match would work okay. Esbits can be hard to light under the best of circumstances but this tends to make it easier. The hardest part of lighting one is keeping it out of the wind until it gets lit.

For a more windproof design on the standard Esbit stoves, try looking at some aluminum flashing (like you find at the hardware store) and form a windscreen around the open sides of the stove. Some folks even use regular aluminum foil, but the sturdiness of same might not work that well.

As for a flint and steel, I wouldn't think that would be the best option. Maybe something like a Blast Match or a magnesium bar would work, but I've never tried it.

EzGoingKev
02-20-11, 09:52
Maybe something like a Blast Match or a magnesium bar would work, but I've never tried it.
I wasn't smart enough to think of shaving some of it like one of the previous posters did. But a Blast Match will not light one straight out of the package. Seeing how they can be a PIA to get lit I tested it out and could not get it going.

On the subject of Blast Matches they would really be awesome if they could 1) slow the burn rate down, and 2) keep burning the wooden part instead of going right out once the compound has burned off.

Travis B
02-20-11, 14:45
I used a torch type lighter, but the principle is to light the shavings first and a match would work okay. Esbits can be hard to light under the best of circumstances but this tends to make it easier. The hardest part of lighting one is keeping it out of the wind until it gets lit.

For a more windproof design on the standard Esbit stoves, try looking at some aluminum flashing (like you find at the hardware store) and form a windscreen around the open sides of the stove. Some folks even use regular aluminum foil, but the sturdiness of same might not work that well.

As for a flint and steel, I wouldn't think that would be the best option. Maybe something like a Blast Match or a magnesium bar would work, but I've never tried it.

I've seen the aluminum flashing mod and am looking into doing that. I'll just keep a box of waterproof matches near the stove. Thanks!

EzGoingKev
02-20-11, 16:04
While these are not pics of my stuff, this is the set up I have.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/TWGOxVMpcAI/AAAAAAAADdE/yb__ZJcvXtk/s800/stove%20001.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/TWGOxnWTjOI/AAAAAAAADdI/p3dOwhnyjyE/s800/stove%20%26%20cup.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/TWGOxhIBokI/AAAAAAAADdM/SBr1TF7Q86M/s800/everything.png

The stove fits inside the pot and then the Nalgene water bottle goes inside.

jdgiii
03-20-11, 15:57
I've had an esbit for a few years now and love it. It is compact, simple, and lightweight. I've been using to Wally world porcelain coated camping coffee cups with it, one for food, one for coffee or tea. I can get water to boil in about 8 minutes. One tab will usually boil one cup of water and get the second pretty warm. I just picked up a stainless cup at BassProShops that fits on the bottom of a nalgene bottle. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the stove. Have fun with it!