PDA

View Full Version : Benchmade Fixed Blades

RD62
09-06-07, 22:22
Hey guys,

I have a benchmade folder that I love and am interested in a good fixed blade knife for utility work. Camp chores, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc. Pretty much a good all around fixed blade. I've seen on their site the Griptilian fixed blade and the Nimravus. But haven't seen any locally. Anyone have any experience with these. Thoughts, opinions, expereince with Benchmade fixed blades? I'd like something full tang, good edge retention, and maybe g10 or micarta scales. Thanks!

-RD62

toddackerman
09-07-07, 13:55
I've had a Nimravus for about 8 years and it'sd been a very good knife for the money. I think I paid $90 at the time. It is a "Working Knife" IMHO

I've also had a lot of Mad Dogs that ranged from $400 to $1200 but I could never bring myself to put them to use. I never even wanted to put a scratch on them at those prices.

Tack

PALADIN-hgwt
09-07-07, 14:47
xxxxx

shark31
09-07-07, 15:18
We were issued something like the nimvarus and all held up incredibly well throughout the deployment. They were used hard in Iraq.

ST911
09-07-07, 17:22
I, too, have and use a Nimravus Cub. Excellent knife.

boatclyde
09-07-07, 17:42
I have a Nimravus... er... Nimuravus... uh, Benchmade tanto with the hard plastic sheath. The knife is very well made, very sharp, and has a reasonably tough finish.
The only thing i don't like about the knife itself, is the exposed tang at the rear of the handle. it's fairly pointed, and not really suited to puncture things by hammering it with your palm...ouch.

The sheath on the other hand, looks like it's part of "Batmans" kit and has a (IMHO) too complicated thumb release.
Go with the Cordura sheath if possible.

boatclyde

ST911
09-07-07, 17:51
The sheath on the other hand, looks like it's part of "Batmans" kit and has a (IMHO) too complicated thumb release.
Go with the Cordura sheath if possible.boatclyde

I'm on my third sheath, due to breakage of that thumb retention. It doesn't engage postively, and if you press it into position too hard, esp in a heat or cold, it snaps right off. Short: It sucks.

The Nimravus Cub is a general issue item for an org nearby, and they, too, have broken several.

On the upside, it's compatible with belt straps and keepers, and the lace holes line up with with the eyelets of my boots.

RD62
09-07-07, 19:59
So it sounds like other than the sheath, the knife is GTG.

Anyone, have/use a fixed blade griptilian?

Any other fixed blades of this type and price range I should consider? I though about the Gerber LMF II, how would you say these compare?

-RD62

boatclyde
09-07-07, 20:29
i have my eye on this...
http://www.ontariorat.com/rat-3.htm
looks to be in the same price range as the benchmade

RD62
09-09-07, 18:44
Anyone else have any experience with the Benchmades or Gerber? Any other models other than the RAT to look at? Best places to buy?

-RD62

kbrdann
09-09-07, 20:16
www.onestopknifeshop.com for me this is the only place to buy.

toddackerman
09-09-07, 20:18
Anyone else have any experience with the Benchmades or Gerber? Any other models other than the RAT to look at? Best places to buy?

-RD62

I've had a few Gerbers (and Cold Steels) and I don't think they are as good as quality or as rugged as the Benchmade fixed blades for the $$$.

Tack

Jay Cunningham
01-14-08, 21:31
I have a fixed Griptilian that I bought after I liked the mini folder so much. I plan on getting a kydex sheath by Raven Concealment. I have not used this blade under any hard conditions yet, so all I can tell you is that the overall size, balance, grip and edge all meet my requirements so far.

But I am not really a knife guy.

fabulous45s
01-31-08, 21:03
I sure miss the Nimravus Cub, especially in the original style sheath.

The Rat-3 compares pretty good to it, as does the TOPS Sparrow Hawke XL.

Lympago
01-31-08, 21:40
I have a Nimravus 140SBT that I've had for a few years now.
Great little knife. I've used it for lots of cutting on everything from leather, 550, boxes, branches, bone, to fileting fish and more with the drop point 154CM steel blade cutting through nicely and maintaining it's edge very well.
The blade finish started to wear a bit but it's fairly tough for what it is.
I haven't had any problem with the Kydex sheaths lockdown lever, but it is capable of being tightened with a star wrench and I've tightened mine besides switched the sheath around for me being a lefty.

The back tip of the full tang blade is pretty pointy and I don't favor that part either, but I took care of it by wrapping the handle starting from the finger groove going back to the rear, braiding 550 cord with the center strainds taken out around the G10 handle tightly coming through and knotting off at the lanyard loop to cover the tip up. That took care of the pointy tip and gave the handle a much better, more comfortable grip.
Altogether it's a good quality, useful knife that's well worth the money I think.

I'm actually looking to upgrade my current pocket folder right now which is a Benchmade too with a 154CM blade. It's an excellent pocket knife but I have come to prefer G10 or Micarta handles it has a Kydex handle. I'd buy another Benchmade no problem though, but in this case they don't make a current version to my liking with a traditional lockback release and a thumbhole blade with the quality blade and handle material I'm looking for so I'll probably buy a Spyderco instead.